Discussion Unusual short playing careers

Remove this Banner Ad

Relton Roberts is surely the only 2 game AFL player who has his own wikipedia page.

Two games, two 9 goal losses.
Carlton 18.12.120 def Richmond9.10.64
Sydney 16.15.111 def Richmond 7.14.56

I reckon all the 1 game names have their own entries.

Relton Roberts is surely the only 2 game AFL player who has his own wikipedia page.

Two games, two 9 goal losses.
Carlton 18.12.120 def Richmond9.10.64
Sydney 16.15.111 def Richmond 7.14.56

Every single player who has ever played in the VFL/AFL has a Wikipedia page.

Wollermann 9 games for essendon
Would be intereseted to see a 30s picture of him (big?)
as only one trove is from Horsham in 1946

View attachment 1621212
This should be him in a Dimboola 1930 team photo: Stawell, Premiers of Wimmera football League: Dimboola, Runners Up - Weekly Times (Melbourne, Vic. : 1869 - 1954) - 4 Oct 1930
He doesn't look all that big to me! Very solid, but no bigger all-round than any of the others along the back row.

1677900926962.png

According to the game's records he was:
1677900859094.png
102 kg at that height does seem rather heavy!

I'm sure a lot of people already know about Malcolm Greenslade and Mick Nunan. Both star South Australian footballerts who were called up for National Service back in 1971 (when that was still a thing), posted to Victoria, and so decided to try their luck with Richmond. Greenslade played 2 games, one against St Kilda, where he did this:
Malcolm%20Greenslade%20mark.jpg

and one game against South Melbourne, where he kicked 6 goals.
Mick Nunan also played the game against South, and kicked 3 goals.

Both returned to SA after their National Service stints and and continued their stellar local careers. Nunan later became Fitzroy's last 'appointed' coach (he quit when the Brisbane Bears merger was announced, and assistant Alan McConnell took over for the rest of the year).

Interestingly, there were quite a few VFL players called up for National service (including Kevin Sheedy, Carl Ditterich and Royce Hart), but most were able to use club 'influence' to stay in Melbourne and continue playing the VFL. Very few actually served in Vietnam. Hart was the only one I know of who got posted interstate - to SA. He trained with Glenelg during the week and got a flight back to Melbourne to play each week (he still won the B&F that year - he was good - and Richmond won the flag).
Anyway, after the VFL GF, he was back in Adelaide, and Glenelg worked a fiddle to get him to play in the SANFL Grand Final (which was NOT popular). Glenelg got thrashed by Sturt and BOG with 9 goals for Sturt was - Malcolm Greenslade. (Mick Nunan was also in the Sturt Premiership side).

I'm sure a lot of people already know about Malcolm Greenslade and Mick Nunan. Both star South Australian footballerts who were called up for National Service back in 1971 (when that was still a thing), posted to Victoria, and so decided to try their luck with Richmond. Greenslade played 2 games, one against St Kilda, where he did this:
Malcolm%20Greenslade%20mark.jpg

and one game against South Melbourne, where he kicked 6 goals.
Mick Nunan also played the game against South, and kicked 3 goals.

Both returned to SA after their National Service stints and and continued their stellar local careers. Nunan later became Fitzroy's last 'appointed' coach (he quit when the Brisbane Bears merger was announced, and assistant Alan McConnell took over for the rest of the year).

Interestingly, there were quite a few VFL players called up for National service (including Kevin Sheedy, Carl Ditterich and Royce Hart), but most were able to use club 'influence' to stay in Melbourne and continue playing the VFL. Very few actually served in Vietnam. Hart was the only one I know of who got posted interstate - to SA. He trained with Glenelg during the week and got a flight back to Melbourne to play each week (he still won the B&F that year - he was good - and Richmond won the flag).
Anyway, after the VFL GF, he was back in Adelaide, and Glenelg worked a fiddle to get him to play in the SANFL Grand Final (which was NOT popular). Glenelg got thrashed by Sturt and BOG with 9 goals for Sturt was - Malcolm Greenslade. (Mick Nunan was also in the Sturt Premiership side).
and Brenton Miels
Jack Oatey, the famous coach of those Sturt players, did something similar a few decades earlier, playing 5 games for South Melbourne in 1944 (while on WWII service): AFL Tables - Jack Oatey - Stats - Statistics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Oatey, the famous coach of those Sturt players, did something similar a few decades earlier, playing 5 games for South Melbourne in 1944 (while on WWII service):
Jack Sheedy was at sth melbourne at the same time as Oatey
Gil Langley (away from SA on WW2 service) played four games with Essendon in 1943
There were quite a few other well-known footballers from South Australia and Western Australia who played a few games in the VFL during World War II when stationed in Melbourne. Jack Cockburn, who won a Magarey Medal and was a leading player in South Adelaide’s most successful era since 1900, played ten times for Essendon in 1943 and 1944, including the former season’s losing Grand Final. Laurie Cahill, uncle of coaching great John, played seven games for Richmond in 1943, including the winning Grand Final, and triple Claremont premiership star Johnny Compton played three games for Melbourne in 1944. Earlier, West Perth star wingman Stan “Pops” Heal played eight games for Melbourne, including their Grand Final win, in 1941, Marcel “Nugget” Hilsz, a WANFL star with Perth, and future Norwood premiership player Neville Way each played eight games for St. Kilda in 1942, whilst Doug Oliphant, WANFL leading goalkicker as far back as 1931, played seven times for Fitzroy in 1942 when transferred to Melbourne. (Haydn Bunton senior’s two 1942 games with Fitzroy, whom he had left in 1937 after winning three Brownlows, were also due to being stationed in Melbourne.)

Possibly the most famous one-game player in VFL/AFL history, however, was Colin Churchett, who played one remarkable game for South Melbourne in 1944. That was of course the Round 13 game against Geelong at the Junction Oval, where the Swans won by the amazing scoreline of 8-30 (78) to 8-8 (56) — the biggest win with equal goals in VFL/AFL history. Churchett had previously played several games with the South Melbourne Reserves, kicking five goals against Hawthorn in one of them, before his solitary senior appearance at the age of eighteen. In that Geelong game on a very windy day, Churchett did not kick a goal, and I cannot find any records of behinds kicked. Churchett would leave Victoria in the following week, but upon his return to South Australia would become the SANFL’s leading full forward, and the only man to kick 100 goals between 1945 and 1968.

I have never seen a comprehensive list of interstate players (including any from states other than South Australia and Western Australia) who played in the VFL on war service — does anyone know where this might be found as I would be very interested to have such?

Last edited:
There were quite a few other well-known footballers from South Australia and Western Australia who played a few games in the VFL during World War II when stationed in Melbourne. Jack Cockburn, who won a Magarey Medal and was a leading player in South Adelaide’s most successful era since 1900, played ten times for Essendon in 1943 and 1944, including the former season’s losing Grand Final. Laurie Cahill, uncle of coaching great John, played seven games for Richmond in 1943, including the winning Grand Final, and triple Claremont premiership star Johnny Compton played three games for Melbourne in 1944. Earlier, West Perth star wingman Stan “Pops” Heal played eight games for Melbourne, including their Grand Final win, in 1941, Marcel “Nugget” Hilsz, a WANFL star with Perth, and future Norwood premiership player Neville Way each played eight games for St. Kilda in 1942, whilst Doug Oliphant, WANFL leading goalkicker as far back as 1931, played seven times for Fitzroy in 1942 when transferred to Melbourne. (Haydn Bunton senior’s two 1942 games with Fitzroy, whom he had left in 1937 after winning three Brownlows, were also due to being stationed in Melbourne.)

Possibly the most famous one-game player in VFL/AFL history, however, was Colin Churchett, who played one remarkable game for South Melbourne in 1944. That was of course the Round 13 game against Geelong at the Junction Oval, where the Swans won by the amazing scoreline of 8-30 (78) to 8-8 (56) — the biggest win with equal goals in VFL/AFL history. Churchett had previously played several games with the South Melbourne Reserves, kicking five goals against Hawthorn in one of them, before his solitary senior appearance at the age of eighteen. In that Geelong game on a very windy day, Churchett did not kick a goal, and I cannot find any records of behinds kicked. Churchett would leave Victoria in the following week, but upon his return to South Australia would become the SANFL’s leading full forward, and the only man to kick 100 goals between 1945 and 1968.

I have never seen a comprehensive list of interstate players (including any from states other than South Australia and Western Australia) who played in the VFL on war service — does anyone know where this might be found as I would be very interested to have such?
Would you include Nashos? I believe Mick Nunan played on National Service . I thought so

His solitary VFL senior game came while he was on National Service training in Melbourne. The previous week he had played in the Richmond reserves side while fellow Sturt footballer and conscript, Malcolm Greenslade, played in the senior side. The next week they both played in the seniors. Both then returned to the SANFL.

1702992035649.png
1702992157481.png

View attachment 1875039
View attachment 1875040
Thanks! I was looking for details of this remarkable game! I sometimes joke that the two most notable games ever played at the Junction Oval were
both in round 13, and neither was a St. Kilda home game [although St. Kilda was the home side for most VFL games at the Junction Oval]

Five behinds from five shots is remarkable given that, when back at Glenelg, Churchett became renowned for his accurate kicking. I wonder if that was five behinds from five actual kicks??

Ken Kendall made his senior debut in University's first VFL game in 1908 against Essendon, and Marc Lock played his first senior match in the Gold Coast's debut AFL match against Carlton at the GABBA in 2011.

Neither Kendall nor Lock played senior football again, giving them the unusual distinction of their only games being in the first matches of expansion teams.

I've long wondered what happened with Marc Lock. He was captain of the suns before their AFL debut and appeared to be a good player.
He just seemed to disappear until I saw him playing for Box Hill several years later. It certainly wasn't his fault they got annihilated in his only game at the top level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back