Travel Unusual Travel Destinations To Visit

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it there? never been to Belize? post some pictures mate if you can.

Truly magical place, so beautiful and the people are super friendly. Everybody says hello when they walk past you. Its really like stepping back in time and what Australia might have been like in the 1950s. I loved their TV channels. Id stay up at night smoking joints just watching their ads. 1 channel would spend hours on births and deaths notices. I was watching one news story and it was about the Belize army having a kind of olympics day, and these gys were trying to climb over a fence, one was almost making it till he fell back down to the ground, while the other just gave up completley. It was like some kind of comedy.

Cant seem to upload pics as theyre all bigger than 1mb

Been in Guatemala a few days now, go to Antigua tomorrow before rio dulce and Flores after that.

Once done with Guatemala I'm up to Belize before getting back to Mexico November 25th I think it is

Do you actually spend time in these places and really experience the country? Or are you one of those people you see on Top Deck tours who spend one night somewhere just so they can say "I've been there!" when really all they've experienced is a piss-stained bed in a dodgy hostel?

Being a Qatar Airways platinum member, i tried liking Qatar. I am often at a stopover in Doha, Qatar just doesnt do it for me. Way too artificial,however if this is your thing then its fine.

I am off to Seychelles in a month's time, mostly for work. Taking the wife for 2 weeks too, to the island of La Digue, which in my opinion is one of the top 5 most beautiful places i have ever seen. The beaches are absolutely clean white powder sand. The water is as blue as anything i have seen on top of that so many stunning deserted beaches out there. Me and the missus, take our picnic basket on a full moon to drink and dine out on the beach and stay till early mornings and not a soul to be seen! Very romantic. Its a bit expensive though, specially for those paying in Aussie Dollars, but its well worth it.

Being a Qatar Airways platinum member, i tried liking Qatar. I am often at a stopover in Doha, Qatar just doesnt do it for me. Way too artificial,however if this is your thing then its fine.

I am off to Seychelles in a month's time, mostly for work. Taking the wife for 2 weeks too, to the island of La Digue, which in my opinion is one of the top 5 most beautiful places i have ever seen. The beaches are absolutely clean white powder sand. The water is as blue as anything i have seen on top of that so many stunning deserted beaches out there. Me and the missus, take our picnic basket on a full moon to drink and dine out on the beach and stay till early mornings and not a soul to be seen! Very romantic. Its a bit expensive though, specially for those paying in Aussie Dollars, but its well worth it.
Just googled La Digue and it looks sensational. Might try and get there in March.

What's the best way to get there? Or nearest major airport?

Just googled La Digue and it looks sensational. Might try and get there in March.

What's the best way to get there? Or nearest major airport?

You have to fly into Mahe and take a ferry from there. Its about 1h30mins from Mahe. But i would suggest go to Praslin as well, they have Anse Lazio there, voted as the best beach in the world a few years ago. You will be spoiled for choices there! if you can afford a decent hotel (I highly recommend Constance Lemura in Praslin, next to Anse Gorgette beach, absolutely stunning, i thought i died and went to heaven really!).

You can take a 15 minute flight from Mahe to Praslin though, but i dont recommend it as flights coming into Mahe are often delayed during weather conditions. I missed my connecting flight to Praslin twice, so now i take the ferry usually.

Heres our private beach, the pic was taken last summer

2mwm87.jpg

Do you actually spend time in these places and really experience the country? Or are you one of those people you see on Top Deck tours who spend one night somewhere just so they can say "I've been there!" when really all they've experienced is a piss-stained bed in a dodgy hostel?
I only did that once and I did it intentionally.
Dad a large tour of Western Europe just to get a taste of the cities to determine if I'd go back. Did Berlin and Paris in mo depth since and will do Prague Vienna and Rome too.Thank * I did the tour though, otherwise I'd be mad if I went to Venice today for a few days. I'd be bored shitless after one day.

Anyway, next up is Eastern Europe for me including Ukraine and Belarus.
One thing I am wondering though, is it hard to get to Chernobyl?

One thing I am wondering though, is it hard to get to Chernobyl?

Nope, i have been there, you can find plenty of tour companies offering you packages (you cant go by yourself, its not permitted), just search online. I lived in Ukraine for 4 months back in 2010, Chernobyl is highly recommended.

Why do people say they 'did cities or locations? It's a pet peeve of mine.

You don't do a city, you live, visit or tour.
Most people are backpacking just to tick it off their bucket list. I can never do that, if i like a place i go back to explore more. I went to seychelles for the first time in 2010, i have been hooked ever since and i keep going back every year and i discover new things all the time. Even if i dont like a place, i stay there for a while to give it a fair chance.

I can never get enough of culture, food, local people and history. Seychelles has been my favourite destination for a while now but its vastly different depending on the time of the year, depending on where you are staying. Yes a short taxi ride can cost you 100 euros, but such is the price you pay for paradise. I cant give a rats arse about ticking boxes on my bucket list

Having a bit of a Central & South American sojourn at the moment. Was in Cuba and loved it. Havana and its people are sensational. Proud of their achievement of 'going it alone' and bloody hell the place is pretty beat up, but it's a kinda ramshackle magic. It's no easy ride as there were only 2 working ATMs in the whole of Havana. The locals just 'make do' and this of course includes those fabulous 1950/60 cars that are everywhere. We hired one with a driver and he took us 300km out of Havana to a town named Trinidad. A brilliant time.
One unexpectedly good place is Argentina. People super friendly and it's such a diverse country. Buenos Aires is a huge dynamic city. It has great bohemian districts with bars, pubs, artesan crafts and massive street markets. Plenty of plazas just lined with restaurants & bars all over the place. The food is a meat lovers heaven. Never had steaks so good. Architecture reminds of Paris. Out of BA - Iguazu Falls has to be seen to be believed. It's like 10 Niagara's all in the one place. The country also stretches from the Amazon basin across to the Andes and then down towards Antarctica. Check out Mendoza for wines & Andes adventure tourism, Bariloche for what appears to be Switzerland in the Andes & way down to Ushuaia for the southern most town on Earth & its National Parks.

yeah i couldnt get into it either - although everything i saw there was horrendously cheap. $6 AU uber fare for a 20min ride from the museum of islamic art to the city, and $4 AU for a really good indian feed

Off to do a short Croatian island cruise late August, then to London for a few days to catch up with old friends that worked with there 12 years ago,can't wait

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did you go?

A few days in Phnom Penh where we travelled to Tonle Bati to see Ta Promh (there is another in Siem Riep) then a week by the beach at Sihanoukville. Here we bludged and ate BBQ.

Then we flew to Siem Riep and did the local temples tour as well as a full day going to remote areas like Koh Ker.

Then back to PP for pure fun and craziness.

A few days in Phnom Penh where we travelled to Tonle Bati to see Ta Promh (there is another in Siem Riep) then a week by the beach at Sihanoukville. Here we bludged and ate BBQ.

Then we flew to Siem Riep and did the local temples tour as well as a full day going to remote areas like Koh Ker.

Then back to PP for pure fun and craziness.

I really liked PP, but I dont think Ive ever seen so many people missing limbs. Did you take the minibus down to Sihanoukville and fear for your life like we did?

I really liked PP, but I dont think Ive ever seen so many people missing limbs. Did you take the minibus down to Sihanoukville and fear for your life like we did?

We travelled in style. Got a car to drive us there. Then we flew from Sihanoukville to Siem Riep, then got a car back to PP to finish off.

Yes, there are a lot of crippled beggars in PP. None anywhere else that we saw.

Given there isnt much to do in PP I can only assume you really liked the nightlife :D

I'm continuing my South American wanderings, having just been in Chile. Crossed the Andes by bus from the charming city of Mendoza Argentina over to Santiago. If in the area you must visit Valparaiso. It is stunning. A tough port city that had nowhere else to expand but up sheer cliffs. Locals have to catch funiculars up the cliffs, there are still about 12 in operation. Once up there it is magic. Views, bars, cafes, restaurants, and surely the greatest load of street art in the world. Some areas are simply covered in it. If you think Fitzroy etc is hip, you sure ain't seen Valparaiso! Decided to head north up to the Atacama - flat desert interspersed with looming volcanoes, geysers, canyons, high Andean lakes and of course you cross into Bolivia to traverse the worlds largest salt flats. Got up to 5100 meters in this part of the world. The landscapes were unbelievable. Hung out in Potosi Bolivia, highest major settlement in the world at 4060 metres, to go into the famous silver mines where the miners still work by hand. Before you scamper into the mines you buy them gifts at the miners market. My gift was coca leaves and four sticks of dynamite which is readily on sale. Now in genteel Sucre, a glorious Bolivian city of colonial architecture and graceful parks. The entire city area is UNESCO Heritage listed. Bolivia and Chile really are beautiful and dramatic countries.

Last edited:
I'm continuing my South American wanderings, having just been in Chile. Crossed the Andes by bus from the charming city of Mendoza Argentina over to Santiago. If in the area you must visit Valparaiso. It is stunning. A tough port city that had nowhere else to expand but up sheer cliffs. Locals have to catch funiculars up the cliffs, there are still about 12 in operation. Once up there it is magic. Views, bars, cafes, restaurants, and surely the greatest load of street art in the world. Some areas are simply covered in it. If you think Fitzroy etc is hip, you sure ain't seen Valparaiso! Decided to head north up to the Atacama - flat desert interspersed with looming volcanoes, geysers, canyons, high Andean lakes and of course you cross into Bolivia to traverse the worlds largest salt flats. Got up to 5100 meters in this part of the world. The landscapes were unbelievable. Hung out in Potosi Bolivia, highest major settlement in the world at 4060 metres, to go into the famous silver mines where the miners still work by hand. Before you scamper into the mines you buy them gifts at the miners market. My gift was coca leaves and four sticks of dynamite which is readily on sale. Now in genteel Sucre, a glorious Bolivian city of colonial architecture and graceful parks. The entire city area is UNESCO Heritage listed. Bolivia and Chile really are beautiful and dramatic countries.
Valparaiso is a great city,got a bit of a rep as a dodgy place but like you I thought it was awesome

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hey! I am dreaming to visit Lithuania and Latvia. I think both countries have an amazing nature and architecture too. Not to mention, yesterday I found an amazing tour http://www.baltictours.com/info/tours-in-kaunas/ and I think I will go for it. Maybe, someone would like to visit these countries together with me? It would be an awesome experience. :rolleyes::oops:

Currently in Yekaterinburg. Amazing city. Nizhny Novgorod was nice, if a tad boring. Russia's equivalent to Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back