emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
On the AFL main board there was a discussion about players with unusual careers. Like Brodie Atkinson for St Kilda who made such a great debut against the Brisbane Bears that he was the Rising Star Nomination for the round and got two Brownlow votes. He was then was dropped after the next game and delisted by the Saints at years' end, spending 5 years back in the SANFL before the Adelaide took a punt on him in 1999, where he played 5 games for the Crows that season before departing the AFL for good.

In the worlds of TV presenting, journalism and acting fame can be fleeting especially with young people. A teenage soap opera actress in the 1990s who looked a potential Margot Robbie might have instead vanished into obscurity by the early 2000s and now be working as a financial planner in Melbourne or an English teacher at a high school in Brisbane. However, some people have careers that are a bit unusual, and there are some examples below. Can you think of any people with unusual acting or media careers?

Pascall Fox - In 1993, the Nine Network resurrected the TV show 'Wonder World' with a team of five very promising young presenters. These were Catriona Rowntree, Jodie Young, Tony Johnston, Nick Penn and Pascall Fox, the presenter who stood out with her long red hair. While Rowntree, Young and Johnston went into other media roles after Wonder World's two year stint from 1993-1994 and Penn became a stand up comedian, Pascall Fox faded away. This wouldn't have been so unusual except that in the early 2000s renovation shows were all the rage, and Fox returned on the Seven Network's successful 'Ground Force' in 2003 and 2004, and also hosted 'Your Life On The Lawn' in 2004-2005, which wasn't so successful. However, after that Pascall Fox vanished back into obscurity and has not been heard of since. What became of her is quite a mystery, she has left no digital footprint and a Google search on her name reveals no information about what she has done more recently, or even if she is still alive.

Belinda Cotterill - This young actress had a good career in the 1990s, with roles on 'Police Rescue', 'A Country Practice', 'Over the Hill', 'Good Guys Bad Guys' and 'All Saints', as well as appearances on other shows and in movies. After 1999, success seemed to evaporate for her, and she had no credited roles until 2009, when she appeared in the forgotten Australian film 'Bad Bush'. But after this singular film role 10 years after her last, Belinda has not had any credited acting roles in more than a decade since.

Holly Brisley, Shae Brewster, Jennine Mapp - Child/teenage actors or performers are of course nothing unusual. There are child/teenage actors required to fill child/teenage roles in TV shows and in movies, and there's lots of singers/performers who find fame before the age of 18. However, these three ladies all commenced in national TV presenting roles while all were still teenagers and at school. Holly Brisley famously combined her role as a roving reporter on 'Agro's Cartoon Connection' in the mid 1990s with attending a Gold Coast high school. Shae Brewster was 17 and an HSC student when she began presenting Saturday Disney in 2002. Jennine Mapp was one of the three original Saturday Disney presenters in 1990 along with Sophie Formica and James Sherry, and a high school student aged just 15. Although she looks much older like many tall blondes, and not out of place against the young adults she was co-presenting with. Being a TV presenter at such a young age would be quite unusual. For example, if you were a teenage actor playing a teenager on a TV show like Home and Away or Neighbors, this doesn't seem so unusual. And likewise if you were on a show like 'Young Talent Time' back in the day, this also wouldn't have been so odd, as you were a performer on a show for young performers. But to be presenting a TV show, then heading off to high school would seem to be a bit of a strange feeling to me, like school would be a letdown.

The other way round- but Margot Robbie.

Was like "colour me shocked" when she came out of the woodwork and made a name for herself. She was fairly hopeless on Neighbours. But kudos to her- she's worked incredibly hard obviously.

Claudia Karvan- man, what an impressive actor- love pretty much everything she is in. But you wonder what might have been had she gone to the USA. I totally understand her reasoning behind not having a massive crack tho- the lifestyle and sacrifice.

The other way round- but Margot Robbie.

Was like "colour me shocked" when she came out of the woodwork and made a name for herself. She was fairly hopeless on Neighbours. But kudos to her- she's worked incredibly hard obviously.

Claudia Karvan- man, what an impressive actor- love pretty much everything she is in. But you wonder what might have been had she gone to the USA. I totally understand her reasoning behind not having a massive crack tho- the lifestyle and sacrifice.

When I first saw a young Lisa McCune on Blue Heelers in 1993 I thought that she would be a big name international star like Margot Robbie has achieved in recent years, but while without doubt Lisa McCune has had a very successful career in Australia (four successive Gold Logies is proof of this) she has not had any overseas roles in England or America.

I've only seen Blue Heelers the one time- so I cannot comment on McCune.

Rebecca Gibney is fairly decent. Shame she has to put up with the sh*t scripts of that Halifax rubbish. (I saw it on Gogglebox- PMSL)

Did you ever see the original Halifax FP TV movies in the mid-late 1990s and early 2000s? These were excellent.

I’m going to suggest Brooke Satchwell. Has had a successful career in TV in shows like Neighbours, White Collar Blue and Black Comedy and Mr Inbetween, but also panel shows like Good News Week and Dirty Laundry and in the theatre.

Turned 40 recently, which freaks me out a little because I remember her when she started out on Neighbours when she was 15/16.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

He was just a humble lowly paid wrestler, somehow he just stumbled into becoming the most highly paid actor in the world.

A rags to riches story for the ages.

I was a big fan of Fast Forward/Full Frontal in the 90s so seeing Eric Bana make it big as a Hollywood actor was a surprise. It took me a while to take him seriously in Hollywood films because he did so many spoofs of Hollywood films. I saw him on screen and kept expecting a punch line.
For me he will forever be con.

And Mr Kerrigan may i please convey how disappointed i am in the Australian justice system

Kickboxing... 24 hours A DAY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Karvan epitomises the kind of Australian star who wouldn't translate quite so well overseas. You could argue a lot of down-to-earth aussie stars have made it overseas, but something about her just feels utterly exceedingly Aussie. I find it harder to imagine her in foreign contexts.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

He was just a humble lowly paid wrestler, somehow he just stumbled into becoming the most highly paid actor in the world.

A rags to riches story for the ages.

It's a pity that the late, great 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper never made it bigger in Holywood.

they-live.gif

And if there's one kind of actor who knows how to take a punch you know it's gonna be a wrestler!

giphy.gif

A lot of child stars and young hosts naturally go on to other professions or industry disciplines, pretty natural, and they might be multi-talented anyway and we only see one or two sides to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back