Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
****ing sensational win. Well done boys.

I just can't believe we can play like that against United, yet draw with Tottenham and Sunderland, and lose to the likes of Hull, Fulham and Stoke :confused:

Same as 06/07 when we did the double against United. We were losing to the likes of Sheff Utd.

BTW, does anyone have a link to the second goal? I have to see it again.

DW, found it. http://vidgoal.blogspot.com/2008/11/arsenal-vs-manchester-united-highlights.html

ORIGINAL THREAD = http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269254

Re: Up the Arse! Goons thread. :)

That second goal was vintage Arsenal.

Let's hope we've laid the platform for future performances.

Those 5-6 minutes of extra time at the end was torture

Re: Up the Arse! Goons thread. :)

****ing great win...but kinda annoying we don't play that well in many other games...

Hopefully this gets our season back on track...wait and see what happens I reckon. A loss/poor performance next week will undo all the good work instantly.

First goal was an own goal, realistically, but the second one was an absolute cracker. **** me. I'd like to see Hleb do that when we need it.

We will beat United tomorrow.:)

Very nice.

Still looked very naive at the end though. Bendtner, Sagna and Denilson all shooting when they should have eaten up time.

We'll lose to Wigan now.:p

Excellent win by the boys. Result aside it was a classic PL match, could have gone either way. We needed a bit of luck with Rooney and Ronaldo having an off target day.
Most pleasing was Fabregas getting back to some form because we need him up and firing to be a serious contender. Nasri you star. Also, it was good to hear the home support actually support. They had been quite so far this season, but the atmosphere would have been awesome yesterday.

Sigh was it just me or did Bendtner look extremely average....I know it is silly of me to whinge when we just pulled off a great win but sorry he looked so ordinary. end of my whinge there, great win had the opportunity to watch it live which was good with a man utd supporter who i gave s**t to after :cool: Wins like this make you look on the positives so lets look at them....Nasri was great on the wing today I thought, I think I deserve credit as I was pretending to be Nasri earlier in the day dribbling my girlfriend, good times. Is this where our season will turn or is it just a quick fluke? Great effort boys and kudos goes to those who kept the faith and tipped/believed we could win.

I don't think we'll lose, but the mentality of the team, to get up for United, but not for Stoke, is worrying.

Let's just enjoy today, and worry about it later.

Super Super Sam
Super Super Sam
Super Super Sam
Super Samir Nasri

EDIT: Bendtner is good in a 4-4-2, with two wingers. Not as a lone striker. 4-4-2 with Vela and Bendtner next game please.

'It was a game for those who love football'

On the importance of the result…
“I feel it was a very important result because I imagine what would have happened if we had lost today. Mathematically it was very important for us to stay close to the top and to show what kind of determination, spirit and mental attitude we have. We went out there today thinking that we will win no matter what happens. No matter what happens on the pitch we will keep going and that is what we did.

“We won against, for me, a great Man United side and the difference was maybe we took our chances early on and they didn’t. After we scored the second goal we did hang on but tried to score the third goal on the counter attack. We wouldn’t do that and that is why the game remained very tight until the end.”

On the contribution of Samir Nasri…

“When he is in front of goal he can finish with his right foot or left foot. He has a lot of pace and power and I encourage him to go in the final third. He was a more typical playmaker in France who gave the ball and took it back. I believe that with his pace he can penetrate in the final third and he will score plenty of goals. That is what he did today because he is a tremendous finisher.”

On ever doubting his side’s chances…
“I didn’t doubt the spirit of my players. I acknowledged that we made some mistakes, especially against Tottenham, but I never questioned the spirit, quality or ability to play for the championship.

“There is only one thing in our job and that is to go on the football pitch and show how much you want it, show quality on the pitch – and spirit – and that is what we did. I believe above all today it was a fantastic football game because both teams played with the right spirit.”

On winning despite missing players…

“For example you had a player like Nicklas Bendtner today who had an outstanding game. It shows how different this job is because on Wednesday he was not especially on his best form and three days later he produced a quality performance. It was a team answer, first of all we showed that we have the squad which is questioned so many times. We showed that no matter who plays we have the spirit.”

On Man United’s squandered chances…
“I do not want to talk too much about the difference between the teams but I thought that we did everything that was needed to win the game. If you say we could have lost it if they had taken every chance, maybe. But we have done everything we could to win this game and our attitude cannot be questioned, nor our quality. Personally I do not question the quality of Man United.

“You know that every big game is like that. I just said after the game that Man United are a great team. They have just won the European Cup last year and the Premier League last year, you cannot be a small team and do that. Of course they are a great team, of course they had chances as well, but we had chances too. That is why I believe it was a cracking football game. If you love football, I do not say you love Arsenal or Man United, today it was a game for people who love football.”

On facing another ‘football playing’ side…
“Football becomes very interesting when both teams want to play, we have seen that again today. I believe that apart from Stoke, we went to Bolton and Blackburn and we won in a convincing way. We had one accident at Stoke and after it provoked hysteria. After the 0-0 against Fenerbahce we have eight points in the Champions League and no one else has more apart from Juventus who have 10. All across Europe nobody has more than eight points in the Champions League. It is difficult sometimes to understand why everybody became so critical so suddenly.

“There is respect [for Sir Alex Ferguson] of course. I believe that we are surviving battlers in this game and therefore I have a lot of respect for him. We both play football.”

On playing out six minutes of injury time…
“I felt ‘that’s a very long time’. Just before they scored the fourth official told me it was going to be six minutes and I asked him if he was sure, what’s that? I have never played six minutes here.

“I personally would have preferred it if they had gone to the corner flag. I prefer that to passing the ball around in our own half with three minutes to go. We would prefer to have a positive attitude in the other half of the pitch. I want them first to be in the other half of the pitch then they are as close to the corner flag as possible.

“You always have to be cautious though because on day when we played Chelsea it was 2-2 and Kanu had the ball. I told him to go to the corner flag but he didn’t listen and he went and scored the third and we won 3-2. If the players have the quality then they always find the right answer.”
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-it-was-a-game-for-those-who-love-football-

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special mention to Gallas as well. Thought he lead the boys well today. Ronaldo continues to be Clichy's bitch as well.

Almunia - 7
Sagna - 8
Gallas - 8.5
Silvestre - 7.5
Clichy - 9
Walcott - 6.5
Fabregas - 7.5
Denilson - 8
Diaby - 7.5
Nasri - 9.5 (MOM)
Bendtner - 6

Diaby isn't like a matchwinner or anything like that (yet) but he adds a physical presence to the team and just makes us look more physical. Walcott didn't have a great game last night but he was digging in which was a good sign.

The back 4 looked like a unit for the first time this season. Very good news, should they keep it up.

Which is the main reason we won. They dominated possession in the second half yet our back four stayed strong. It took a great goal by Rafael to get one back. Six minutes of injury time was a bit much, and once they scored I was getting nervous. But full credit too the boys and hopefully we can push on and string some results together.:thumbsu:

I was VERY surprised at the start of the year to see that Denilson had got the nod over Diaby to be Cesc CM partner. Im still a bit surprised and bewildered. I think Diaby compliments Fabregas a whole let better. Hes got a better defensive side to his game. Diabys a better passer of the ball and is also more likely to get on the score sheet. Surely he will remain in the team for the long haul now....

Diaby missed the first 2 months and a bit through injury.

Only returned a few weeks ago.

Didnt realise he injured himself. Just figured he was out of favour.... Hes been the forgotten man really considering he came in to replace Viera. Hes been at the club for 2 years now and never really been given much of a chance. No time like the present I guess

Didnt realise he injured himself. Just figured he was out of favour.... Hes been the forgotten man really considering he came in to replace Viera. Hes been at the club for 2 years now and never really been given much of a chance. No time like the present I guess

He's been there longer than two years. Dan Smith smashed his ankle last time Sunderland were in the premier league. 05?

I'm a bit disappointed in him to be honest. He doesn't seem focussed enough, and drifts forward way too often to be a holding midfielder. A good squad player, but nothing more, unfortunately.

We desperately need to sign a holding mid.

We bought him in January in 06. Had his foot shattered late in the season and missed about 8 months early. Apart from the Carling Cup, he didn't really get into it when he came back in the 06/07 season.

Was a squad player last season in another injury riddled season but did OK. When we had Flamini, Gilberto and Diarra, it was tough to break into the team so was deployed on the left wing. Got injured late on and missed the preseason and the first two months of this season.

He should break into the team by the end of this season, but he can be frustrating at times when he runs in circles and turns the ball over. Denilson distributes the ball better. Diaby also tends to break a few legs and get sent off.

In regards to our Carling Cup match, with RVP/Ade out for a couple more weeks, will Nick even play?

I think he'll be rested for someone like Simpson. Also want to see Bischoff get a go alongside Ramsey in CM.

Fabianski
Hoyte - Song - Djourou - Gibbs
Wilshere - Ramsey - Bischoff - Randall
Simpson - Vela

Go kiddies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back