May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Win and Wenger gets a new contract?

No thanks.

The FA cup should be irrelevant in terms of him getting a new contract. Its nice to win don't get me wrong but top clubs ( If thats what we want to be) are judged pretty much on Champions League and domestic league performances. He used his FA cup credits signing his last 3 year deal, but in his last 3 years when he's had money to spend he's got us no closer in Europe or in the League.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Leonardo Jardim.

Funnily enough one of the top picks to replace Wenger.

I'd gladly let him bring over some of his blokes too.

Mbappe Lottin, Fabinho, Lemar, Bakayoko, Sidibe, Silva... they have a classy outfit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Would cost a tonne for even two - three of those players.

Certainly... they're talking 80mil for Silva at the moment.

I think we were heavily linked to Sidibe last off season. Mbappe is the one I think, he's the youngster you spend 30-40mil on.

IIRC Monaco still have to be a selling team. Not sure their owner has paid off his divorce yet.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

I think we were heavily linked to Sidibe last off season. Mbappe is the one I think, he's the youngster you spend 30-40mil on.

IIRC Monaco still have to be a selling team. Not sure their owner has paid off his divorce yet.

I'd be stunned if Mbappe went for as little as that, but I think we should be after him anyways.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

Yeah seems to be the case.

i can see Mbappe going for Martial type money.

Yes you'd think he would be £45m+. Especially with the calibre of clubs that would be after him.

Beat me to it :p

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Yeah seems to be the case.

i can see Mbappe going for Martial type money.

Beat me to it :p

And before we shell out that kind of money for another forward/winger, we'd have to sell surely. The squad is stacked in that area.

Selling the likes of Ramsey, Walcott etc would still generate ~£50m you'd think, despite their mediocrity. Won't happen though under Wenger, he'd sell Lucas, Welbeck etc before the house pets.

Sanchez, Giroud, Walcott, Lucas, Welbeck just isn't sustainable as a forward/striker group I feel. Something has to give there.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
And before we shell out that kind of money for another forward/winger, we'd have to sell surely. The squad is stacked in that area.

Selling the likes of Ramsey, Walcott etc would still generate ~£50m you'd think, despite their mediocrity. Won't happen though under Wenger, he'd sell Lucas, Welbeck etc before the house pets.

Sanchez, Giroud, Walcott, Lucas, Welbeck just isn't sustainable as a forward/striker group I feel. Something has to give there.

My thoughts on the current team at this point

Keepers
Wojciech Szczęsny - Keep
David Ospina - Sell
Emiliano Martínez - Keep
Petr Čech - Keep but question marks

Ospina is decent but a liability, should be moved on. I'd rather bring Wojo back. I fully believe Wojo has all the attributes needed to be a top keeper and i don't think we should let him go.

Cech this season hasn't been amazing and you'd need to really consider if he should be starting next year. Martinez is highly rated and can stay.

Mathieu Debuchy - Sell
Kieran Gibbs - Sell
Per Mertesacker - Shouldn't be near the first team except for emergencies
Gabriel - Squad player at best
Laurent Koscielny - Keep starting 11
Nacho Monreal - Keep but question marks
Shkodran Mustafi - Keep but unsure if starting 11
Calum Chambers - Keep and loan
Rob Holding - Keep has potential
Héctor Bellerín - Keep starting 11
Carl Jenkinson - Sell

Koscielny, Bellerin, Nacho and Mustafi are a strong enough starting 11. Our backups to them however fall apart and all need serious replacing/investing. I think Rob Holding has a huge chance to be a talented CB and i'm not willing to write Chambers off just yet.

Aaron Ramsey - Sell
Francis Coquelin - Sell
Mohamed Elneny - Squad player/Sell
Granit Xhaka - Keep starting 11
Jeff Reine-Adélaïde - Keep potential
Jack Wilshere - Keep but with question marks
Mesut Özil - Keep but with question marks
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Keep but with question marks
Santi Cazorla - Keep but not against moving on

Midfield has a huge problem. Ozil i want to keep as i believe he is one of the only players in the world that can do the things he does but is completely useless when a team isn't built to carry him/allow him to function. Ozil has nothing to work with apart from Sanchez; Walcott is a ******* donkey, Welbeck is always crippled, Iwobi is raw, Ramsey out wide is a joke, Giroud gets surrounded by 5 defenders most games etc. We need better attacking players, its that simple.

The loss of Cazorla has been a massive blow and i dont think he's ever going to get back to the player he was before injury. In any case at 33 by next season and coming off a long lay off we really need to be considering replacing him. Wilshere would be the obvious choice and has been getting a large amount of game time at Bournemouth (has also played the full 90 minutes in 8 out of 12 games). Nobody doubts his talent just his ability to keep fit and thats looking possible on this evidnce (insert jokes about Arsenal's medical team).

Ramsey for me is done, I just don't see what he brings to the team. Same with Coquelin and Elneny. None offer any threat going forward and aren't amazing defensively to warrant keeping.

Chamberlain is starting to show when played centrally that he can be the footballer we want him to be. Still isnt good enough to be starting 11 though, lacks consistency and finishing.

Xhaka is quality and needs to stay.

We need another box to box midfielder and another creative midfielder

Yaya Sanogo - lol
Danny Welbeck - Keep Squad player/Potential starting 11
Joel Campbell - lol
Chuba Akpom - lol
Lucas Pérez - Keep Potential starting 11
Takuma Asano - lol
Olivier Giroud - Keep but with question marks
Theo Walcott - Sell
Alex Iwobi - Keep
Alexis Sánchez - Keep but with question marks

*Sigh*

Sanogo, Campbell and Asano are all not even worth talking about.

Everyone knows my complete dislike for Walcott. Shouldnt be at Arsenal and should be sold asap. Not good enough either out wide or up front.

Welbeck is interesting as he has all the attributes to be a potential starter for us but is always just a sneeze away from being injured again. Can't rely on him ever playing more than a bit part role in a season.

Giroud, as much as i love him and think he's vastly underrated, should be allowed to go if a sensible offer was made for him. We could improve on him.

Perez has shown enough to know there's certainly some talent there and he should be starting from here to the end of the season to see what he can do.

Iwobi still young and raw but keep.

Sanchez for me is the biggest issue. Where does he play - wide or as a forward? No doubting at all he's one of the most talented players in the world and one of the best in his position but he's just not a team player, often trying to score rather than taking a better option with another pass. When he plays out wide he's too predictable, cutting back inside each time and doesn't stick to his position.

I'd love Sanchez to stay but i would't be against him leaving if an obscene offer came in from one of the continental clubs.

TL;DR

Sell crap, buy good.

Wide attacking player that can dribble, cross and run at players number 1 priority
New forward
New Midfield
Better bench defenders

How i see our starting 11

---------New Player (Welbeck/Pérez/Giroud )

Sanchez----Ozil-------New Player

---Xhaka----New Player (Wilshere)

Nacho-- Mustafi-- Koscielny-- Bellerin

------------Szczęsny Čech

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My thoughts on the current team at this point

Keepers
Wojciech Szczęsny - Keep
David Ospina - Sell
Emiliano Martínez - Keep
Petr Čech - Keep but question marks

Ospina is decent but a liability, should be moved on. I'd rather bring Wojo back. I fully believe Wojo has all the attributes needed to be a top keeper and i don't think we should let him go.

Cech this season hasn't been amazing and you'd need to really consider if he should be starting next year. Martinez is highly rated and can stay.

Mathieu Debuchy - Sell
Kieran Gibbs - Sell
Per Mertesacker - Shouldn't be near the first team except for emergencies
Gabriel - Squad player at best
Laurent Koscielny - Keep starting 11
Nacho Monreal - Keep but question marks
Shkodran Mustafi - Keep but unsure if starting 11
Calum Chambers - Keep and loan
Rob Holding - Keep has potential
Héctor Bellerín - Keep starting 11
Carl Jenkinson - Sell

Koscielny, Bellerin, Nacho and Mustafi are a strong enough starting 11. Our backups to them however fall apart and all need serious replacing/investing. I think Rob Holding has a huge chance to be a talented CB and i'm not willing to write Chambers off just yet.

Aaron Ramsey - Sell
Francis Coquelin - Sell
Mohamed Elneny - Squad player/Sell
Granit Xhaka - Keep starting 11
Jeff Reine-Adélaïde - Keep potential
Jack Wilshere - Keep but with question marks
Mesut Özil - Keep but with question marks
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Keep but with question marks
Santi Cazorla - Keep but not against moving on

Midfield has a huge problem. Ozil i want to keep as i believe he is one of the only players in the world that can do the things he does but is completely useless when a team isn't built to carry him/allow him to function. Ozil has nothing to work with apart from Sanchez; Walcott is a ******* donkey, Welbeck is always crippled, Iwobi is raw, Ramsey out wide is a joke, Giroud gets surrounded by 5 defenders most games etc. We need better attacking players, its that simple.

The loss of Cazorla has been a massive blow and i dont think he's ever going to get back to the player he was before injury. In any case at 33 by next season and coming off a long lay off we really need to be considering replacing him. Wilshere would be the obvious choice and has been getting a large amount of game time at Bournemouth (has also played the full 90 minutes in 8 out of 12 games). Nobody doubts his talent just his ability to keep fit and thats looking possible on this evidnce (insert jokes about Arsenal's medical team).

Ramsey for me is done, I just don't see what he brings to the team. Same with Coquelin and Elneny. None offer any threat going forward and aren't amazing defensively to warrant keeping.

Chamberlain is starting to show when played centrally that he can be the footballer we want him to be. Still isnt good enough to be starting 11 though, lacks consistency and finishing.

Xhaka is quality and needs to stay.

We need another box to box midfielder and another creative midfielder

Yaya Sanogo - lol
Danny Welbeck - Keep Squad player/Potential starting 11
Joel Campbell - lol
Chuba Akpom - lol
Lucas Pérez - Keep Potential starting 11
Takuma Asano - lol
Olivier Giroud - Keep but with question marks
Theo Walcott - Sell
Alex Iwobi - Keep
Alexis Sánchez - Keep but with question marks

*Sigh*

Sanogo, Campbell and Asano are all not even worth talking about.

Everyone knows my complete dislike for Walcott. Shouldnt be at Arsenal and should be sold asap. Not good enough either out wide or up front.

Welbeck is interesting as he has all the attributes to be a potential starter for us but is always just a sneeze away from being injured again. Can't rely on him ever playing more than a bit part role in a season.

Giroud, as much as i love him and think he's vastly underrated, should be allowed to go if a sensible offer was made for him. We could improve on him.

Perez has shown enough to know there's certainly some talent there and he should be starting from here to the end of the season to see what he can do.

Iwobi still young and raw but keep.

Sanchez for me is the biggest issue. Where does he play - wide or as a forward? No doubting at all he's one of the most talented players in the world and one of the best in his position but he's just not a team player, often trying to score rather than taking a better option with another pass. When he plays out wide he's too predictable, cutting back inside each time and doesn't stick to his position.

I'd love Sanchez to stay but i would't be against him leaving if an obscene offer came in from one of the continental clubs.

TL;DR

Sell crap, buy good.

Wide attacking player that can dribble, cross and run at players number 1 priority
New forward
New Midfield
Better bench defenders

How i see our starting 11

---------New Player (Welbeck/Pérez/Giroud )

Sanchez----Ozil-------New Player

---Xhaka----New Player (Wilshere)

Nacho-- Mustafi-- Koscielny-- Bellerin

------------Szczęsny Čech

Good post, The things I'd disagree with are I think we need a new starting LB but I would have Monreal as back up. Also I don't think Granit has shown as much quality as you suggest but I'd love to see him under a different manager.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
If Szczesny's attitude, decision making and distribution have improved, he is most definitely worth keeping. Has good communication and a great shot stopper.

Back four is solid, but Nacho is starting to get on/decline and we may need to upgrade there.

I would keep Wilshere, he's a solid player when he's on the park.

I agree on the rest. Not against selling Ozil either, plenty of great 10s about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back