Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have been trying to give him until Christmas to get it right, but it is obvious that he doesn't seem to have much of a clue about his best side near the end of October, there are serious concerns, not playing Tierny who is fit now is questionable, as well as Holding who has been fit for a month now. Of course we will probably put 5 past Vitoria on Thursday.

If we was to some how lose against Palace at home, serious pressure comes on then, I would rather make a change while we are still in the running for top 4. But I can't see the club moving on him yet.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have been trying to give him until Christmas to get it right, but it is obvious that he doesn't seem to have much of a clue about his best side near the end of October, there are serious concerns, not playing Tierny who is fit now is questionable, as well as Holding who has been fit for a month now. Of course we will probably put 5 past Vitoria on Thursday.

If we was to some how lose against Palace at home, serious pressure comes on then, I would rather make a change while we are still in the running for top 4. But I can't see the club moving on him yet.
Yeah I think that's the strangest part, he has no clue as what his best team is or what system to play, 18 months in, he is also overly cautious, through fear of losing and then stubborn on other things which don't help him much either.

The selections were pretty puzzling especially when you take into account what he said before the game concerning tierney being ready to go and ozil training well yet not even in the squad anyway.

This loss is on him imo and he's running out of time to turn things around which is looking less likely by the week

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Yeah I think that's the strangest part, he has no clue as what his best team is or what system to play, 18 months in, he is also overly cautious, through fear of losing and then stubborn on other things which don't help him much either.

The selections were pretty puzzling especially when you take into account what he said before the game concerning tierney being ready to go and ozil training well yet not even in the squad anyway.

This loss is on him imo and he's running out of time to turn things around which is looking less likely by the week
In all honesty, the team he put out should still be doing the job. I think we’d be a better team if we just countered more. Allow space for our forwards to run into.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
In all honesty, the team he put out should still be doing the job. I think we’d be a better team if we just countered more. Allow space for our forwards to run into.
Our spine is woeful and the most alarming thing about this morning's game, apart from the loss that is, is that Aubameyang was not playing with the same hunger and intent as he was earlier in the season and for me, that's alarm bells very loud and very long. It seems that he has finally just had enough of the crap that's going on behind him and if this fella just goes through the motions, were gone.

There are many people calling for Ozil and going by the managers utterances of the last few weeks, Ozil is training well and he's ready but he was nowhere to be seen. I am of the view that if we are relying on Ozil to improve our game, then we are very, very desperate because Ozil in a struggling team makes the team struggle even more. Ozil needs the right players around him to be dangerous.

I'll tell you about Ozil and Kolasinac. Those two don't give a rat's arse about The Arsenal, they are there to collect the doe. They are your typical, cynical pricks that you see in other European Leagues but not very readily in England and when they do pop up, they are dispatched quickly but not at The Arsenal.

People want to give the manager until the end of the season and I have much sympathy for managers/coaches as you know but this fella here, Emery, he seems to be directionless. I didn't see many games last year and I've only seen 4 or 5 games this year but every time I watch the team play, it seems that every game is different, that is, we haven't got a "go too" set up (jeez I hate that Americanism but...) and he still hasn't settled on a style of play given his team selections and this is having a debilitating effect on the players; the one that seemed to shrug off the merry-go-round machinations of the coach was Aubameyang but on his performance this morning, it seems to be getting to him as well now. The only positive thing that the "rock star" Kolasinac did was put in a sumptuous cross from the right in the first half and any center forward, let alone Aubameyang, would have feasted on it but Aubameyang didn't even attack it!

The goal we conceded was a disgrace but what does one expect with Luiz and the demoralised Papastathopoulos? If you can get hold of a replay of that goal, watch Luiz. I know I am probably going to be taken to task by some for what seems to be my vitriol towards Luiz but for heaven's sake, have a look at him! He was marking space a again, he has absolutely no idea of what defending is/means. If he didn't want to mark him, then surely, as a supposed "experienced" player, he would have demanded that someone pick the loose player up! Look at him before the corner comes over - he sees the loose player and says/does nothing when the corner comes over, he takes a few steps back and shits his pants thinking that someone may smash into him, ruining his hair style.

If Emery does not see how inept Luiz, Sokratis, Xhaka and Kolasinac are, then he really needs to be relieved of his duties because to keep playing them, is damning evidence that Emery is not up to it.

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I want Emery to succeed. I really do. I don't want Arsenal to be a club that knee-jerks managers out the door without giving them time to develop their own style with their own players.

But...

It's hard to see where this team is going. There is no "style", there is no "stamp" on the team, there is no determinable "ideal" or "philosophy". Every match just looks like a mess.

I wanted to write a big post about it but I really can't be bothered.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
I want Emery to succeed. I really do. I don't want Arsenal to be a club that knee-jerks managers out the door without giving them time to develop their own style with their own players.

But...

It's hard to see where this team is going. There is no "style", there is no "stamp" on the team, there is no determinable "ideal" or "philosophy". Every match just looks like a mess.

I wanted to write a big post about it but I really can't be bothered.
That's it brother! We are The Arsenal and we played a side that has come up from Division 2. Where was our urgency to stamp our selves on the game? Where was our desire to wrest the initiative and give the new side in the Division what for?

I can understand a coach wanting to get his team to be adaptable but for heaven's sake, we haven't even got a basic game plan, a "style" but again Shoei, you need to base a team around a core group of players and it seems that Emery has decided that Luiz, Papastathopoulos and Xhaka with Kolasinac thrown in for good measure, are the "core" of the team. Those jokers aren't Premier League players, not at The Arsenal anyway and no amount of patience and hope is going to change that fact.

There does come a time when you have to make definite decisions and stick by them and the time has come to say definitely that Emery is not up to it. As another example of his failures as a coach, young Pepe who is very raw but very, very promising, this young lad was the only Arsenal player who caused any heart flutters for the very well drilled Sheffield United and he took him off! Firstly, as we saw, he was the only Arsenal player likely to get us something from the game and secondly, how do you reckon that being dragged is going to effect this young man's confidence?

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Glad everyone is starting to see Emery has no style offensively or defensively and we're basically just wasting more time the longer he stumbles around at the helm.
I think we don’t want to become like united and we wanted to give the guy a chance to properly make some signings of his own. They’d finally cleared a lot of dead weight which is a plus but he still hasn’t been able to insert any kind of philosophy that’s beneficial to us and it’s been long enough now that there should be some kind of signs what that is.

Klopp and Pep immediately instilled their game plan and you could see the results coming even if they didn’t have much success initially. Now they are two of the best sides in the world.
Our spine is woeful and the most alarming thing about this morning's game, apart from the loss that is, is that Aubameyang was not playing with the same hunger and intent as he was earlier in the season and for me, that's alarm bells very loud and very long. It seems that he has finally just had enough of the crap that's going on behind him and if this fella just goes through the motions, were gone.

There are many people calling for Ozil and going by the managers utterances of the last few weeks, Ozil is training well and he's ready but he was nowhere to be seen. I am of the view that if we are relying on Ozil to improve our game, then we are very, very desperate because Ozil in a struggling team makes the team struggle even more. Ozil needs the right players around him to be dangerous.

I'll tell you about Ozil and Kolasinac. Those two don't give a rat's arse about The Arsenal, they are there to collect the doe. They are your typical, cynical pricks that you see in other European Leagues but not very readily in England and when they do pop up, they are dispatched quickly but not at The Arsenal.

People want to give the manager until the end of the season and I have much sympathy for managers/coaches as you know but this fella here, Emery, he seems to be directionless. I didn't see many games last year and I've only seen 4 or 5 games this year but every time I watch the team play, it seems that every game is different, that is, we haven't got a "go too" set up (jeez I hate that Americanism but...) and he still hasn't settled on a style of play given his team selections and this is having a debilitating effect on the players; the one that seemed to shrug off the merry-go-round machinations of the coach was Aubameyang but on his performance this morning, it seems to be getting to him as well now. The only positive thing that the "rock star" Kolasinac did was put in a sumptuous cross from the right in the first half and any center forward, let alone Aubameyang, would have feasted on it but Aubameyang didn't even attack it!

The goal we conceded was a disgrace but what does one expect with Luiz and the demoralised Papastathopoulos? If you can get hold of a replay of that goal, watch Luiz. I know I am probably going to be taken to task by some for what seems to be my vitriol towards Luiz but for heaven's sake, have a look at him! He was marking space a again, he has absolutely no idea of what defending is/means. If he didn't want to mark him, then surely, as a supposed "experienced" player, he would have demanded that someone pick the loose player up! Look at him before the corner comes over - he sees the loose player and says/does nothing when the corner comes over, he takes a few steps back and shits his pants thinking that someone may smash into him, ruining his hair style.

If Emery does not see how inept Luiz, Sokratis, Xhaka and Kolasinac are, then he really needs to be relieved of his duties because to keep playing them, is damning evidence that Emery is not up to it.
my point is that surely these players are good enough to beat a side like Sheffield even if they shouldn’t be starters for our best eleven. That’s what baffles me. You can have all the plans in the world but at the end of the day the game is about overloads, movement and teamwork. Realising when and where to make runs to create space for teammates or receive the ball, realising cues to help your team mate outnumber your opponents etc. These are fundamentals.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
2go99thtv2u31.png

Marc Murphy

Team Captain
Jun 10, 2009
VIC
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Green Bay Packers
Didn't Ornstein report that Emery was on a 3 year deal not the 2+1 deal that was initially reported? So if he was to go at the end of the season he would have to be fired.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
I think we don’t want to become like united and we wanted to give the guy a chance to properly make some signings of his own. They’d finally cleared a lot of dead weight which is a plus but he still hasn’t been able to insert any kind of philosophy that’s beneficial to us and it’s been long enough now that there should be some kind of signs what that is.

Klopp and Pep immediately instilled their game plan and you could see the results coming even if they didn’t have much success initially. Now they are two of the best sides in the world.

my point is that surely these players are good enough to beat a side like Sheffield even if they shouldn’t be starters for our best eleven. That’s what baffles me. You can have all the plans in the world but at the end of the day the game is about overloads, movement and teamwork. Realising when and where to make runs to create space for teammates or receive the ball, realising cues to help your team mate outnumber your opponents etc. These are fundamentals.
Agreed but to be able to perform, you need to be clear headed and motivated and unfortunately, when players are not enjoying their work, they don't perform and if this carries on for an extended period, that is, if it's not just an aberration, then you get to the point where the coach's words go in one ear and out the other then everything is lost.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Yes Pepe did perform well overall, it was a poor miss though. Glaring error that along with his huge price tag, will continue to mount the pressure on him.
I didn't realise that he was 24. I have had to re-asses this lad. I thought he was a baby but he's not. Still though, he was the only thing we had going for us in the front third and as kreglze said, he was one of our best and andana hit the nail on the head, he is unpredictable and that's what bamboozles oppositions. He needs to stop worrying about scoring and just score; if you know what I mean? Scoring should just be routine and the coach/coaches should be spending time with him getting him "into the groove", so to speak.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
If Pepe had got the goal and if aubameyang actually tried to get to his cross (and goaled) his game would be looked at in a different light.
Yep but that is what's so worrying. Squandering gilt edge chances and a center forward he seems to have lost his appetite.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Didn't Ornstein report that Emery was on a 3 year deal not the 2+1 deal that was initially reported? So if he was to go at the end of the season he would have to be fired.

We paid Wenger out so we should have no problem doing it to this bum, paying him out will be a lot cheaper than missing Champions League football for yet another campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back