Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luiz was in a no-win situation there. Honestly, not gonna hold that red against him. It's all on Mustafi.

Jeez, we've found one in Martinelli tho.
Totally agree, Luiz did his best in an awful situation. Just think he could have let him score and keep the 11 men and go again.

Totally agree, Luiz did his best in an awful situation. Just think he could have let him score and keep the 11 men and go again.

With the benefit of hindsight now, definitely better to concede the goal and at least retain 11 v 11. Getting yourself sent off and then a penalty (which is say 90% likely to score anyway) is the worst possible outcome from that. I can forgive Luiz though for this, its a panic moment after being sold right up s**t creek from Mustafi.

And to be fair, Mustafi was pretty damn good after that (so was Xhaka as a makeshift centre half).

However, he just shouldn't be in the team. You know exactly what you're getting when you name an error prone, calamitous centre half like him. It's not going to be coached out of him, he's beyond that unfortunately. I said about 18 months ago I'd be fine with never seeing Mustafi in an Arsenal shirt again, but aside from a brief period this season where he was frozen out by Emery, he continues to feature.

And pairing him with Luiz? Hoping this is the last time Arteta does this. Its madness, a time bomb waiting to implode.

The previous 'triple-punishment' rule required a red card - and therefore a suspension - as well as the award of a penalty under those circumstances.
However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.
But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.
Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.

Not so sure that is a red card under the new guidelines. For me that is a last ditch tackle in an attempt to block the ball which is playing the ball and subsequently only a penalty and a yellow. Although there is a massive grey area under the new guidelines as you can deliberately foul someone whilst trying to play the ball. The more I watch the incident the more I believe Luiz was trying to make a play on the ball. At the very least the ref should be using the VAR monitor to check his decision.

As for their second goal that was just as easily avoidable as their first. Another case of our defenders having zero awareness and feel for the situation. Abraham was running out of play and had no chance of keeping the ball alive and Holding bails him out by making a needless challenge from which they score from the resulting corner. Just stupid.

Football matches are played over 95 minutes or so and the thing you expect as a coach and a supporter is that no matter what happens, the players are hard at it for every second of the game and that is what we got - well done!

Luiz is an idiot but and spends more time on his heels than any other center half I have ever seen and when "out-of-the-ordinary" moments occur, he hasn't the wherewithal to cope.

Last game, the ball went to a player whom he was too far away from and instead of taking two steps forward to engage the player, he took two steps back and allowed the opponent to control the ball at his leisure and then he clasped his hands behind his back and turned side on so he wouldn't be hit and the bloke with the ball sized up his options, put the ball across to Fleck, bang! equaliser. This game he goes and gets sent off early and if he had been on his toes, as he should have been when the other flower pot man played back that awful pass, at the very least he would have been a yard and a half closer to the Chelsea man and with a great opportunity to get goal side when the Chelsea player went around poor Leno but no, f*ck wit brought him down, gave away the penalty and got himself sent off. He and Mustafi are one horrendous pair and they do not have the defensive qualities to take us anywhere but middle of the table.

Arteta backed Mustafi after his top showing last game and that is what you must do but that is what happens when players aren't good enough.

Arteta has shown that he only picks players that are fit and he could have played Martinelli and Bellerin earlier but he chose to hold them back until they were fit to play and the benefit of that sound strategy is there for all to see.

Going into the so called winter break, I reckon that Arteta has shown that he is the person to lead this club to the top of the table once more by his unrelenting pursuit of excellence and his ability to communicate with his players. Crucially, he also has a good sense of tactics which will improve as time goes on. What we need now is for the board to back him to the hilt and let him bring in the players he wants and allow him to move on players that he doesn't want.

Hector Bellerin was quick to highlight Martinelli’s mentality as a key driving force behind his sudden rise, after his surging run and cool finish hauled us level at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night.
“To be fair there are not many [players of his age that are this impressive],” Bellerin said. “A lot of people talk about his talent, but what people don’t see is that Gabi is a professional.

“He turns up early every day. He does all the stuff and everything anyone asks him to do. He is the first player to press and the last player to leave everything on the pitch.

“The goals are just a plus. He helps us in every single way and the thing that everyone needs to praise him for his attitude. That is what makes him a player.

“I think he is obviously really young in his career - so many things can happen - but if he keeps his head where it is right now, he is going to go really far for sure.”

arsenal.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last player Edu brought back from Brazil was Martinelli.

In all seriousness though, not expecting him to be a find of that caliber. I know nothing about him aside from what google has to offer. 26 years old and has played across a few leagues now.

We certainly need a new centre half and anything that strengthens the squad and lessens the likelihood/provides an alternative to starting Mustafi is a mini win.

In all seriousness though, not expecting him to be a find of that caliber. I know nothing about him aside from what google has to offer. 26 years old and has played across a few leagues now.

We certainly need a new centre half and anything that strengthens the squad and lessens the likelihood/provides an alternative to starting Mustafi is a mini win.
Pablo Mari is fantastic in the air, he has great awareness and having played in a number of different leagues has really sharpened his defensive qualities.

He is a proper center half who knows how to mark players. He had Salah under lock and key in the Club World Cup Final a month back and is a far, far better center half than Luiz. His distribution both by foot and head are excellent. He is about the same in pace as Luiz but he gains at least half a yard because of his excellent positioning and awareness - he does NOT ball watch. With the increased fitness levels he will achieve under an English Premiership regime, he will be a good to very good signing I believe: far better than all the center halves we have presently and he's tough and commanding and has good balance.

The thing I don't like at all though, is the stupid way he, like some others, clasp their arms behind their backs when the are in the penalty area for fear of being pinged for handball. The moment a player does this, he may as well just stop and take no further part in the game; the players balance is completely compromised. I hope he is warned off this habit because in general field play, when he has his arms in the appropriate positions to aid his balance, he is a good defender.

I think that he is a big improvement on our center halves and the thing I like about his signing, if we sign him, is that he is Luiz's replacement. His left footed distribution over distance are at least the equal of Luiz's, at least and on the ground, beautiful and that's really important in Arteta's set up where we can mix things up a bit when the need arises.

The other thing Glen, is that he thinks steps ahead and knows where to play the ball before it comes to him, whether in the air or on the ground and this means that his interceptions/interventions aren't just interceptions with a resultant loose ball; the ball normally falls to one of his team mates. Unlike the show pony Luiz, he doesn't need hours to size up a long ball, he knows where to play the ball before he gets it and the transition from back to front will be quicker. I'm looking forward to see him play. It may take him a game or two to pick up the pace but I reckon he'll be good for us.

Pablo Mari is fantastic in the air, he has great awareness and having played in a number of different leagues has really sharpened his defensive qualities.

He is a proper center half who knows how to mark players. He had Salah under lock and key in the Club World Cup Final a month back and is a far, far better center half than Luiz. His distribution both by foot and head are excellent. He is about the same in pace as Luiz but he gains at least half a yard because of his excellent positioning and awareness - he does NOT ball watch. With the increased fitness levels he will achieve under an English Premiership regime, he will be a good to very good signing I believe: far better than all the center halves we have presently and he's tough and commanding and has good balance.

The thing I don't like at all though, is the stupid way he, like some others, clasp their arms behind their backs when the are in the penalty area for fear of being pinged for handball. The moment a player does this, he may as well just stop and take no further part in the game; the players balance is completely compromised. I hope he is warned off this habit because in general field play, when he has his arms in the appropriate positions to aid his balance, he is a good defender.

Nice write up.

The talk is he's costing us 4mil loan and 4mil option to buy. Clearly he's coming in to replace Mustafi and if we lose Sokratis as well this probably doesn't rule us out of still strengthening in that area (no doubt Arteta likes Luiz).

Nice write up.

The talk is he's costing us 4mil loan and 4mil option to buy. Clearly he's coming in to replace Mustafi and if we lose Sokratis as well this probably doesn't rule us out of still strengthening in that area (no doubt Arteta likes Luiz).
I would not like to see him and Luiz in the same side. I would love to see him and Sokratis together because Sokratis would be a good foil for him, Luiz will make them both look slow and disjointed because Luiz hasn't a clue as to where he is on the pitch and I fear we'd be slow and still leak down the guts.

I don't know if Arteta really "loves" Luiz. I'm pretty sure that his endorsement of him publicly has more to do with trying to boost his confidence and it's the same methodology that he's using with all his players. The one stand out improvement in the players since Arteta became the boss is their attitude and in their belief that they are good. Much of this is due to Arteta's positivity towards them as individuals coupled with his non acceptance of anything other than absolute commitment every minute of everyday. I think Luiz won't be part of the set up next year.

So apparently the deal for Mari is off as Flamengo believed they were getting 9m for him only for us to backflip and want a loan. If true heads need to roll at Arsenal and that starts with Sanellhi who is seemingly useless and is heavily reliant on his contacts of which most are dodgy to deal with.

Mari headed back to Brazil apparently, seems a bit of a debacle since having his medical over the weekend.

Whatever the issue, surely Arsenal’s hand is now forced to rectify given the injury to Mustafi. That leaves only Sokratis, Luiz and Holding as senior centre halves currently available.

Mari headed back to Brazil apparently, seems a bit of a debacle since having his medical over the weekend.

Whatever the issue, surely Arsenal’s hand is now forced to rectify given the injury to Mustafi. That leaves only Sokratis, Luiz and Holding as senior centre halves currently available.
Arsenal want to loan him but they want a transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back