Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm we are in trouble. This is Emery depths of performance at the moment.

This article was just after the Leicester loss, and it wouldn't have changed too much since (a win v United, loss to Aston Villa, draw with Leeds). Emery's record, despite the savaging he used to get by Arsenal fans, is actually better at the same stage of them managing Arsenal. We've improved defensively since, no doubt. However chance creation, points per game, goals scored etc, its very dire reading.

This article was just after the Leicester loss, and it wouldn't have changed too much since (a win v United, loss to Aston Villa, draw with Leeds). Emery's record, despite the savaging he used to get by Arsenal fans, is actually better at the same stage of them managing Arsenal. We've improved defensively since, no doubt. However chance creation, points per game, goals scored etc, its very dire reading.

He had a younger Auba and still had Wenger's attacking training impeded.

People forget that fraud conceded the Liverpool game before ever playing them.

I always found it odd that all of the bad stuff was always Emery’s fault, but then the positives were never credited to him, it was always Wenger or someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sacking Emery was the right decision like sacking Arteta also will be if he doesn't turn it around soon.

Emery definitely needed to go, it was the right call. The stories coming out regarding his lack of communication with the players etc, it was the writing on the wall. It was an interesting observation though with neither Ljungberg or Arteta getting that "new manager bounce" that usually happens when the players are really craving a new manager and respond accordingly. Perhaps things weren't as bad as they were made out to be under Emery, maybe its that the players aren't actually as good as we maybe think they should be at a club like Arsenal.

Anyway, Arteta has some huge credits in the bank though by winning the FA Cup, getting into Europa, a general upbeat feel around the club with his philosophies etc. However those chips are starting now starting to slowly be depleted, I for one don't see him being sacked though. This is a long term plan, that really is going to have its painful moments throughout. It would really need to turn to s**t from here though for him to be sacked.

Emery definitely needed to go, it was the right call. The stories coming out regarding his lack of communication with the players etc, it was the writing on the wall. It was an interesting observation though with neither Ljungberg or Arteta getting that "new manager bounce" that usually happens when the players are really craving a new manager and respond accordingly. Perhaps things weren't as bad as they were made out to be under Emery, maybe its that the players aren't actually as good as we maybe think they should be at a club like Arsenal.

Anyway, Arteta has some huge credits in the bank though by winning the FA Cup, getting into Europa, a general upbeat feel around the club with his philosophies etc. However those chips are starting now starting to slowly be depleted, I for one don't see him being sacked though. This is a long term plan, that really is going to have its painful moments throughout. It would really need to turn to sh*t from here though for him to be sacked.

A bottom half finish is the definition of things turning to s**t, how could a club like Arsenal possibly defend that sort of finish should it happen ?

I agree they'll be patient to a degree, but Arteta really needs a top 8 finish at a minimum IMO, he pushed for players like Willian on huge wages who are not long term project players.

We are ******* terrible and Arteta has no idea. Our results are undeniably worse than they were under Emery and somehow we are even more boring to watch? Bravo Mikel.

A bottom half finish is the definition of things turning to sh*t, how could a club like Arsenal possibly defend that sort of finish should it happen ?

I agree they'll be patient to a degree, but Arteta really needs a top 8 finish at a minimum IMO, he pushed for players like Willian on huge wages who are not long term project players.

This part is something I'm getting increasingly concerned about. I didn't think he was the type to show such stubbornness/self righteousness (one of the downfalls of Wenger in his latter years at Arsenal). He certainly seems on a sidequest to prove the Willian signing was right, which is to the detriment of the team.

I also wonder how he will go if/when crowds are back in stadiums. He comes across as a very controlling manager, constantly shouting instructions to the players and almost coaching them during the game, telling them where to go, where to stand etc. I remember the Leicester game, all I could hear at times was Arteta yelling at Ceballos to stay on the right by line. Ceballos was terrible that game, I wonder if being shouted out repeatedly had something to do with it. Who knows really. Anyway, its going to be a very difficult way to coach when you factor in crowd noise when the fans are back.

We are ******* terrible and Arteta has no idea. Our results are undeniably worse than they were under Emery and somehow we are even more boring to watch? Bravo Mikel.

Not even close. Our results haven't been great to start this season but we're ahead of where we were this time last year. Our performances have been equally as boring but at least when Arteta picks a defensive team the team can defend for the most part. Using Emerys first 36 games in charge is pointless as its the state he left us in that is a big part of our current issues.

This part is something I'm getting increasingly concerned about. I didn't think he was the type to show such stubbornness/self righteousness (one of the downfalls of Wenger in his latter years at Arsenal). He certainly seems on a sidequest to prove the Willian signing was right, which is to the detriment of the team.

I also wonder how he will go if/when crowds are back in stadiums. He comes across as a very controlling manager, constantly shouting instructions to the players and almost coaching them during the game, telling them where to go, where to stand etc. I remember the Leicester game, all I could hear at times was Arteta yelling at Ceballos to stay on the right by line. Ceballos was terrible that game, I wonder if being shouted out repeatedly had something to do with it. Who knows really. Anyway, its going to be a very difficult way to coach when you factor in crowd noise when the fans are back.

You're reaching here. It has little to do with Willian and trying to prove he was the right acquisition. No one in our front three is performing, they have been equally been as horrible as one another and Arteta deserves criticism for the way we are set up in attack but it has little to do with playing favourites. There is zero link up, creating overloads and far too much reliance on individual brilliance which is ultimately where our players are lacking. Their is too much of Pep attacking set up which relies of the likes of Mahrez sticking wide and being able to dance around their opponent. That doesn't suit our players and Arteta needs to adapt. He appears to have finally woken up to Lacazette not being good enough to lead the line and that in turn should allow for 3 far more creative players to be feeding PEA up front.

It speaks volumes that Saka is the only player who looks good out there amongst our attacking players and even he only has two direct goal contributions so far this season.

Not even close. Our results haven't been great to start this season but we're ahead of where we were this time last year. Our performances have been equally as boring but at least when Arteta picks a defensive team the team can defend for the most part. Using Emerys first 36 games in charge is pointless as its the state he left us in that is a big part of our current issues.

You're reaching here. It has little to do with Willian and trying to prove he was the right acquisition. No one in our front three is performing, they have been equally been as horrible as one another and Arteta deserves criticism for the way we are set up in attack but it has little to do with playing favourites. There is zero link up, creating overloads and far too much reliance on individual brilliance which is ultimately where our players are lacking. Their is too much of Pep attacking set up which relies of the likes of Mahrez sticking wide and being able to dance around their opponent. That doesn't suit our players and Arteta needs to adapt. He appears to have finally woken up to Lacazette not being good enough to lead the line and that in turn should allow for 3 far more creative players to be feeding PEA up front.

It speaks volumes that Saka is the only player who looks good out there amongst our attacking players and even he only has two direct goal contributions so far this season.

Its somewhat contradictory to say that it has nothing to do with playing favourites whilst also trying to say he deserves criticism for the way we set up in attack. The personnel he deploys there are one of the reasons for that. And yes thankfully he's made the call on Lacazette for now.

It also makes the Pepe incident more idiotic. The bloke has been on the sidelines waiting for a league start, finally gets his chance and a prime opportunity to nail down that spot. Then goes out and does that. Baffling stuff.

I'll have to correct you on that, we actually had 15 points through 9 games last season.

Its somewhat contradictory to say that it has nothing to do with playing favourites whilst also trying to say he deserves criticism for the way we set up in attack. The personnel he deploys there are one of the reasons for that. And yes thankfully he's made the call on Lacazette for now.

It also makes the Pepe incident more idiotic. The bloke has been on the sidelines waiting for a league start, finally gets his chance and a prime opportunity to nail down that spot. Then goes out and does that. Baffling stuff.

Its contradictory when you put it like that but the way I look at it is Arteta has his preferred set up and what he expects of the players in each role and is forcing the players to play the role which doesn't suit them with their not being any available alternatives at the moment to perform some of these roles. Its pretty clear he wants his CF to be able to keep opposition CB's on their toes for 90 minutes, someone capable of winning aerial duels, pressing from the front and link with team mates and that player isn't Lacazette but when not playing like complete ass like he is currently, he is our most capable at performing those task. Someone like DCL from Everton would be perfect for that role and if you had him it changes the dynamic of the current set up considerably. Its less about the players themselves and more about the role he envision and the effect that has on becoming a good team.

So this is where my main criticism of Arteta starts as he needs to start playing the guys he currently has, in the positions that they are most effective in with this current set up/personnel. I suppose it was a good thing when we lost 0-3 to Villa and in the next game come back with a new line up, shows some adaptability.

We desperately could have used Ozil in these circumstances.

This also remains incredibly stupid by Arteta. Ozil hasn't played since March or something and yet has created our third most chances since Arteta took over. All well and good to put your stamp on the team and the demands you want met but blokes like Ozil you give a little leeway too as they might not be the guy you trust in big moments/games but their the guys who help breakdown lesser opponents.

I'll have to correct you on that, we actually had 15 points through 9 games last season.

Lacks context, the results have been better relative to last season. Already been to Anfield, Etihad, Old Trafford and have played Leicester at home where we didn't deserve to win but shouldn't have lost. I've got some concerns don't get me wrong but we could easily be in a good position by the time the next international break occurs in March. The biggest thing this team needs is a consistent run at it, since Arteta took over he has had to deal with injuries to all eight thousand CB's we have, off field incidents like Ozil and Guendouzi (which he deserves some of the blame for), coronavirus break and lately international breaks. The next few games will be where we will find out a lot more about Arteta, as for the first time he come across he is under pressure. If he can make the right changes and find the right balance than as a manager he will be doing his part.

The results are literally worse. Check them out and come back to me if I'm wrong. More losses, less PPG, etc.

Never mind the "context" of turning our best player into an out of form cross merchant, and making us the most boring team to watch. And that's with a better squad available to him.

It's amazing to me that we have a worse manager then Emery at the helm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back