Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventually our poor first halves and just being generally shambolic defensively was going to cost us, fair effort to have 34 points in 17 games whilst conceding 23 goals.

* only in 11-12 have Arsenal conceded more goals after 17 games in the Premier League.

* Charlie Austin has scored in each of his 5 premier league games against Arsenal.

* Arsenal have conceded as many goals as Crystal Palace, more than Wolves, Newcastle & Leicester

* Arsenal have only won 1 of their last 8 trips to St Mary’s 1-4-3

* Shots allowed on target in this years Premier League Man City 40, Liverpool 42, Chelsea 54 & Arsenal 83.

These games happen.

Emery still has a squad full of players he inherited. He's working towards a plan so lets not all throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Disappointing yes, end of the world? No.

Good to see Mhki get a double.

If he doesn't do something serious in the summer about trying to fix our defensive issues I expect people will be hunting him next season.

Despite the defensive mess, that’s Arsenal’s first loss since late August.

Plenty of work to be done. But that’s still a very decent run.

Was bound to happen with that makeshift defense, had to score more than concede because for sure we were going to ship a few.

Also if we start with one up front we gotta go with lacazette over aubameyang, does more for the team, he's a better player overall than auba imo.

Iwobi still has no end product, really frustrating.

I imagine we will see quite a clean out come the Summer. That defense needs some serious work, but can't be too critical at the moment. That injury list is horrible. Monreal and Kos look well under done and Xhaka is not a CB in the slightest.

We’re almost better putting Elneny in as a makeshift centre half. It’s asking too much of Xhaka, he should be further up the pitch.
Or maybe chuck one of the younger ones in there like medley where they are actually defenders and know how to play there, couldn't do any worse than playing xhaka there and doesn't hurt us in the midfield where he should be playing

Very true. I’d like to see Xhaka in the final third more. Depending on the formation and number of strikers played, perhaps even as a 10.

With Guendouzi and Torreira behind him, we’ve got enough cover to try it. Iwobi has been average of late so it’s worth a go.

If he doesn't do something serious in the summer about trying to fix our defensive issues I expect people will be hunting him next season.

Yeah but it’s bigger than just the players, it’s basically teaching the defenders how to defend and learning a new system at the same time.

We can all agree that our defence was neglected for the best part of a decade by Wenger, with patch work fixes put in place every now and then. We have two centreback (Sokratis and Mustafi) that are good enough, a cooked one in Kos, a bunch of raw promising ones that will make mistakes while learning and a bunch of make shift ones (Monreal, Elneny and Xhaka).

It’s an issue Emery has inherited and it’s unfair to expect him to fix in one or two seasons.

I said at the start of the season I’m happy to write this one off. From what I’ve seen of Emery its been decent with some good results. Remember, we’ve only lost league 3 games so far this season and put in good performances against Liverpool, Chelsea, City, United And Tottenham. Unfortunately it looks bad because Liverpool and City and playing out of their skins but I don’t see that much difference between Chelsea, Tottenham, United and us.

It will be interesting to see what he does in January and as people have said I believe we’ll see a very different squad at the start of next year.

Arsenal is currently rebuilding after a pretty goddamn successful 25 years. United have shown there’s no “easy fix” after such a period so let’s just chill, let Emery do his thing then judge him after 3-4 seasons.

Edit -phone spelling mistakes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but it’s bigger than just the players, it’s basically teaching the defenders how to defend and learning a new system at the same time.

We can all agree that our defence was neglected for the best part of a decade by Wenger, with patch work fixes put in place every now and then. We have two centreback (Sokratis and Mustafi) that are good enough, a cooked one in Kos, a bunch of raw promising ones that will make mistakes while learning and a bunch of make shift ones (Monreal, Elneny and Xhaka).

It’s an issue Emery has inherited and it’s unfair to expect him to fix in one or two seasons.

I said at the start of the season I’m happy to write this one off. From what I’ve seen of Emery its been decent with some good results. Remember, we’ve only lost league 3 games so far this season and put in good performances against Liverpool, Chelsea, City, United And Tottenham. Unfortunately it looks bad because Liverpool and City and playing out of their skins but I don’t see that much difference between Chelsea, Tottenham, United and us.

It will be interesting to see what he does in January and as people have said I believe we’ll see a very different squad at the start of next year.

Arsenal is currently rebuilding after a pretty goddamn successful 25 years. United have shown there’s no “easy fix” after such a period so let’s just chill, let Emery do his thing then judge him after 3-4 seasons.

I agree with most of your post I just wanted to clarify a few things. When you say Sokratis and Mustafi are good enough, do you mean as starting CB's or as players in a squad ?

I don't think we played particularly well vs City or United, City we were completely outclassed but yeah they're supreme. United were there for the taking but we still couldn't get the job done vs them despite how poor they're. Agree the performances vs Liverpool and Spurs were good and going forward was good vs Chelsea.

When you say Judge Emery in 3-4 years time we judge Emery, what is your expectation ? That is a fair amount of time when you think in little over 3 years Klopp has taken Liverpool from a bang average side that was 7th or 8th to heavyweight contenders in the League and Champions League.

We've been asking for that sort of result since the NLD. Emery's made the worst of a bad situation by playing 3 at the back featuring two non CBs and hasn't done anything about the lack of creativity in midfield either. If we can't control a game against Southampton something's not working.
Very true. I’d like to see Xhaka in the final third more. Depending on the formation and number of strikers played, perhaps even as a 10.

With Guendouzi and Torreira behind him, we’ve got enough cover to try it. Iwobi has been average of late so it’s worth a go.
Xhaka isn't mobile enough to play as a 10.

Trying to rewrite history? With the exception of his final season the defence was never the biggest issue. It is is a player like Torreira who was missing in Wenger sides and following RvP departure we lacked a world class striker capable of winning us the league. The defence was even a strength at one point with Sagna, Per, Koscienly and Monreal forming a very solid back four.

I agree with most of your post I just wanted to clarify a few things. When you say Sokratis and Mustafi are good enough, do you mean as starting CB's or as players in a squad ?

I don't think we played particularly well vs City or United, City we were completely outclassed but yeah they're supreme. United were there for the taking but we still couldn't get the job done vs them despite how poor they're. Agree the performances vs Liverpool and Spurs were good and going forward was good vs Chelsea.

When you say Judge Emery in 3-4 years time we judge Emery, what is your expectation ? That is a fair amount of time when you think in little over 3 years Klopp has taken Liverpool from a bang average side that was 7th or 8th to heavyweight contenders in the League and Champions League.

Sokratis, imo, has been arguably our second best player this season behind Torreira. Mustafi is a fine squad player.

If you look back at the City game we created plenty of chances, difference being they took theirs and we didn't. Against United we were easily the best team, again, not taking chances cost us the game.

3-4 years from now the expectation is that Arsenal are again entrenched in the top four and pushing for a title. I mean realistically pushing for a title, keeping pace with the top teams in to the finally 2 weeks of the season. No more being 15 points behind the leaders going in to Christmas kind of thing.

You're right, Klopp has done that with Liverpool. He's also had 3 years to build the squad he wants; Salah, Van Dijk, Mane, Alisson, Wijnaldum, Ketia, Shaqiri and instill the kind of football he wants the team to play. It hasn't all be champagne and truffles though, remember Liverpool took some big hits in his first two seasons as they tried to find balance and rhythm.

Emery has the kind of record that shows he knows what he is doing given enough time. Remember we've just gone 22 games undefeated with a squad he's inherited just before the start of a pre-season in a world cup year. Are we perfect? No. Are we heading in the right direction? Yes.

Trying to rewrite history? With the exception of his final season the defence was never the biggest issue. It is is a player like Torreira who was missing in Wenger sides and following RvP departure we lacked a world class striker capable of winning us the league. The defence was even a strength at one point with Sagna, Per, Koscienly and Monreal forming a very solid back four.

Our defence has always been an issue! A defence is more than just the four defenders. The team never defended as a cohesive unit, look how many times over the years nobody had a clue what they were supposed to be doing, caught out of position all over the place, no closing down or one player closing down and no one else doing it, marking or zonal at set paces, massive gaps all over the park etc etc. Do you remember the losses?

6-3 By City
5-1 By Liverpool
4-0 By Liverpool
6-0 By Chelsea
5-1 x 2 By Bayern
4-0 By Milan

etc etc etc

Name another top 4 team that continually got blown away by teams, not counting all the losses to teams like Watford, Cardiff, Everton, Stoke, Burnley, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth etc etc. Wenger played one way; Beautiful attacking football. There was absolutely no effort put in to the defensive side of Arsenal's tactics and not adjustments made for other teams styles. That's not revisionist history, that's just the simple truth. Torreira and a World class striker would have just papered over the cracks just like RVP did when he went God mode, we still lost to Bolton, Stoke, Villa, Newcastle, West brom, Swansea, Wigan, QPR etc etc.

Emery has the team focused both in the attacking and defensive phases. You can see that there's a clear plan for when the team has the ball and doesn't. There never was with Wenger, or if there was it was never clear after 10 years.

Sokratis, imo, has been arguably our second best player this season behind Torreira. Mustafi is a fine squad player.

If you look back at the City game we created plenty of chances, difference being they took theirs and we didn't. Against United we were easily the best team, again, not taking chances cost us the game.

3-4 years from now the expectation is that Arsenal are again entrenched in the top four and pushing for a title. I mean realistically pushing for a title, keeping pace with the top teams in to the finally 2 weeks of the season. No more being 15 points behind the leaders going in to Christmas kind of thing.

You're right, Klopp has done that with Liverpool. He's also had 3 years to build the squad he wants; Salah, Van Dijk, Mane, Alisson, Wijnaldum, Ketia, Shaqiri and instill the kind of football he wants the team to play. It hasn't all be champagne and truffles though, remember Liverpool took some big hits in his first two seasons as they tried to find balance and rhythm.

Emery has the kind of record that shows he knows what he is doing given enough time. Remember we've just gone 22 games undefeated with a squad he's inherited just before the start of a pre-season in a world cup year. Are we perfect? No. Are we heading in the right direction? Yes.

Our defence has always been an issue! A defence is more than just the four defenders. The team never defended as a cohesive unit, look how many times over the years nobody had a clue what they were supposed to be doing, caught out of position all over the place, no closing down or one player closing down and no one else doing it, marking or zonal at set paces, massive gaps all over the park etc etc. Do you remember the losses?

6-3 By City
5-1 By Liverpool
4-0 By Liverpool
6-0 By Chelsea
5-1 x 2 By Bayern
4-0 By Milan

etc etc etc

Name another top 4 team that continually got blown away by teams, not counting all the losses to teams like Watford, Cardiff, Everton, Stoke, Burnley, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth etc etc. Wenger played one way; Beautiful attacking football. There was absolutely no effort put in to the defensive side of Arsenal's tactics and not adjustments made for other teams styles. That's not revisionist history, that's just the simple truth. Torreira and a World class striker would have just papered over the cracks just like RVP did when he went God mode, we still lost to Bolton, Stoke, Villa, Newcastle, West brom, Swansea, Wigan, QPR etc etc.

Emery has the team focused both in the attacking and defensive phases. You can see that there's a clear plan for when the team has the ball and doesn't. There never was with Wenger, or if there was it was never clear after 10 years.

What did the midfield do in those games. Offered no protection and gave the ball away cheaply. Doesn't matter how good your defence is when you can't control the game in midfield against good sides.

If Emery has his team focused on attacking and defensive phases then why are we struggling to create enough chances and yet failing to stop the opposition from having regular chances. By all means question Wenger defensive set up but don't act like there has been any improvement when in actual fact we are just as disorganised as we were under any Wenger team. Also I would to hear this plan Emery supposedly has. Sometimes we press, other times we don't. One week we pick Ozil who isn't renowned for pressing, the next we pick Ramsey who is but then leave both out of the team for Mhyki and Iwobi. One week we play 4 at the back, the next we play 3. Sure he is trying to work out who works where and how best to fit his players in but that is a waste of time. Stop worrying about results and pick a style and team that suits the way he wants to play.

No Ozil in tonight's line up which I find strange unless he plans to use him from the start vs Burnley & Brighton ? Also Xhaka at CB again is another shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back