Upgrade

Site Maintenance will be happening later on Saturday. Expect an outage of around 30 minutes at some stage.

Otherwise, use the site as normal.

Contact support@bigfooty.com if there are any big problems.

Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gambit78

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
The interesting thing about Ramsdale's game - mistakes aside, his distribution was excellent. And if that is the key difference between the two, then I don't see why Arteta wouldn't play him against the likes of Luton and Bournemouth up until the FA Cup starting...

Planet14

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
It is amazing that Arteta had a completely adequate goalkeeper, brought in another perfectly adequate keeper, and has managed the transition so poorly that both are shot of confidence.

bok_party

Brownlow Medallist
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
His post match behaviour when asked about Ramsdale was ridiculous too. Something must have happened for it to get to this.

Planet14

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Ouch. They was pretty poor from Arteta. Whatever is going on in the background, you should always support your players in public. Cute little bullsh1t like that is petulant and unnecessary.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
There were also some thinly veiled comments a few weeks ago regarding Raya having “big ones” and not resorting to panicking and kicking it long etc. Along those lines. It was clear he was referring to Ramsdale. Would prefer that stuff kept internally as it’s enough of an external conversation and spotlight as it is.

Wouldn’t be easy for both Raya or Ramsdale. On paper it seems that Arsenal have gone through such a distraction to only marginally improve the goalkeeper position from a 7/10 to a 7.5/10. I get the sense Raya is considerably better than what we’ve seen so far, however he too is somewhat inhibited by this situation.

This latest one, I reckon that Nick Ramsdale interview a fortnight ago has been received poorly at the club and probably gone down like a lead balloon with Arteta.

Judd2Sewell

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
It is amazing that Arteta had a completely adequate goalkeeper, brought in another perfectly adequate keeper, and has managed the transition so poorly that both are shot of confidence.

Baffling stuff

Judd2Sewell

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
There were also some thinly veiled comments a few weeks ago regarding Raya having “big ones” and not resorting to panicking and kicking it long etc. Along those lines. It was clear he was referring to Ramsdale. Would prefer that stuff kept internally as it’s enough of an external conversation and spotlight as it is.

Wouldn’t be easy for both Raya or Ramsdale. On paper it seems that Arsenal have gone through such a distraction to only marginally improve the goalkeeper position from a 7/10 to a 7.5/10. I get the sense Raya is considerably better than what we’ve seen so far, however he too is somewhat inhibited by this situation.

This latest one, I reckon that Nick Ramsdale interview a fortnight ago has been received poorly at the club and probably gone down like a lead balloon with Arteta.

What was said in that interview?

Edit: read what was said

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

bok_party

Brownlow Medallist
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
More than a couple. Ozil, Guendouzi, Aubameyang, Mustafi ...
The difference is I feel Ramsdale isn’t the type to act like those guys and would happily fight for his spot but it’s at the point where he probably knows he could have ten blinders in a row and Mikel would still pick Raya after costing us games.

Someone like Arteta really shouldn’t be doing that stuff. He talks about wanting great humans first but he seems to do the opposite himself and be a bit petulant and childish.

bok_party

Brownlow Medallist
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Raya is an innocent victim in this too. It’s not his fault Arteta picks him and seems to be playing this game. It’s really not helping either keeper be the best because it feels more than rewarding good performances. I’m sure Raya is disappointed in himself sometimes and surprised at keeping his spot.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Raya is an innocent victim in this too. It’s not his fault Arteta picks him and seems to be playing this game. It’s really not helping either keeper be the best because it feels more than rewarding good performances. I’m sure Raya is disappointed in himself sometimes and surprised at keeping his spot.

Yep, I recall we spoke about this a few weeks ago. That welcome video for Raya and his entourage at the club. The gifts to his grandfather, the warm hugs and conversing in Spanish with Mikel and Inaki Cana.

This is the guy that Arteta wanted a few seasons ago. The Leno replacement/upgrade. Couldn’t acquire him at the time due to other circumstances, and a few seasons later Arteta got his man.

Unfortunately though, in between all of that, was Ramsdale. A hugely popular figure inside and outside of the club.

bok_party

Brownlow Medallist
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yep, I recall we spoke about this a few weeks ago. That welcome video for Raya and his entourage at the club. The gifts to his grandfather, the warm hugs and conversing in Spanish with Mikel and Inaki Cana.

This is the guy that Arteta wanted a few seasons ago. The Leno replacement/upgrade. Couldn’t acquire him at the time due to other circumstances, and a few seasons later Arteta got his man.

Unfortunately though, in between all of that, was Ramsdale. A hugely popular figure inside and outside of the club.
I realise high performance sport is cut throat but Arteta really seems like once he doesn’t have you in his plans, he becomes ice cold towards you.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I realise high performance sport is cut throat but Arteta really seems like once he doesn’t have you in his plans, he becomes ice cold towards you.

Needs to learn from previous examples in freezing players out. It completely tanks their value as well. It’s well known now that Ramsdale is obsolete at Arsenal.

It wasn’t too long ago we were factoring in approx £35-40m for Tierney to the likes of Newcastle. But a buyer didn’t eventuate.

Ramsdale is still very young, full English international, proven PL footballer. If this isn’t managed well from here, we’re going to have another example of Arsenal failing to earn fair market value.

bok_party

Brownlow Medallist
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Needs to learn from previous examples in freezing players out. It completely tanks their value as well. It’s well known now that Ramsdale is obsolete at Arsenal.

It wasn’t too long ago we were factoring in approx £35-40m for Tierney to the likes of Newcastle. But a buyer didn’t eventuate.

Ramsdale is still very young, full English international, proven PL footballer. If this isn’t managed well from here, we’re going to have another example of Arsenal failing to earn fair market value.
It’s not even losing the market value for me. It’s the way he’s treating Rambo that has me annoyed. Why ask him to sign a new contract if you were gonna oust him anyway.

Gambit78

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
The flip side to all this, is that Ramsdale had deficiencies in his game that he needed to address. The spotlight is on him now because people like us are asking why has he been demoted? Ramsdale doesn't command his box like Raya does and isn't as comfortable with ball at his feet. Both keepers need to/will get better because of the scrutiny (glass half full).

Say what you want about Arteta and his decisions, but one thing he hasn't compromised is the will to win. He will do whatever he thinks is necessary to win, even if the choices he makes seem counter-intuitive.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It’s not even losing the market value for me. It’s the way he’s treating Rambo that has me annoyed. Why ask him to sign a new contract if you were gonna oust him anyway.

I genuinely think the Raya signing wasn’t a long term piece of planning, it was an opportunistic thing that developed during the transfer window. After knocking back other clubs and they found their own signings, Raya was still available and his people along with Arsenal’s just had to make it happen.

Ramsdale’s contract extension I also feel was two fold. Firstly, reward his contribution to the club and give him a pay rise commensurate with his role in bringing Arsenal back to the CL. Secondly, to protect his value by agreeing a contract of that length.

bok_party

Brownlow Medallist
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I genuinely think the Raya signing wasn’t a long term piece of planning, it was an opportunistic thing that developed during the transfer window. After knocking back other clubs and they found their own signings, Raya was still available and his people along with Arsenal’s just had to make it happen.

Ramsdale’s contract extension I also feel was two fold. Firstly, reward his contribution to the club and give him a pay rise commensurate with his role in bringing Arsenal back to the CL. Secondly, to protect his value by agreeing a contract of that length.
I understand the value of getting him to sign a new contract but then you’ve literally undone it all now because people know they will want to move him on. Seems counterintuitive.
The flip side to all this, is that Ramsdale had deficiencies in his game that he needed to address. The spotlight is on him now because people like us are asking why has he been demoted? Ramsdale doesn't command his box like Raya does and isn't as comfortable with ball at his feet. Both keepers need to/will get better because of the scrutiny (glass half full).

Say what you want about Arteta and his decisions, but one thing he hasn't compromised is the will to win. He will do whatever he thinks is necessary to win, even if the choices he makes seem counter-intuitive.
this works only if Mikel is harsh on Raya as he seems to be on Rambo. You think Rambo would be given another opportunity if he was first choice after Sunday?

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I understand the value of getting him to sign a new contract but then you’ve literally undone it all now because people know they will want to move him on. Seems counterintuitive.

this works only if Mikel is harsh on Raya as he seems to be on Rambo. You think Rambo would be given another opportunity if he was first choice after Sunday?

Yes it does seem contradictory on the surface. The other angle is that irrespective of when/where Ramsdale finds his next club, he has been rewarded financially and his contribution recognised by way of his pay increase.

In similar fashion to the likes of Saka, Odegaard, Saliba, Martinelli etc who have all been pivotal in returning Arsenal to the CL (irony being Ramsdale hasn’t experienced a minute of that yet).

I’m not saying all of this makes it okay. It’s not great to see how this has unfolded and regardless of how much money he’s being paid, it was hard seeing him barely even able to celebrate/enjoy the victory over the weekend. He looks devoid of confidence and joy.

Football is ruthless and Arteta wants win. At the moment, Arsenal sit top of the table in the league and champions league group, so he (and others at the club) perhaps feel that’s the vindication for the choices he has made.

Remove this Banner Ad