Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We did what we needed to do this window. Got adequate back up/depth, and didn't spend ungodly amounts of money to do so. They weren't our first choices but it's January, and sometimes it doesn't work out the way we want. Trossard can fill in across the front 3, Kiwior is handy CB depth and if worse comes to worst, can play DM, Jorginho is PL experience and can play EL to give Partey a rest.

Now summer window is a different story. We've already apparently set our sights on Rice, and maybe going back for Caicedo. Edu hasn't gotten the big transfers (50m+)over the line so far, so this summer is a big test for him.

But that's July's problem. We have a title to play for. Let's go.

Last edited:
If if if.

Man for * sake, cut out the negativity. All you do is ******* whinge. Every. Single. Day. Every. Single. Post.

We are top of the league, and we have brought in an experienced body, added depth, a winner, knows the league. The way you're carrying on - like a complete nuff - you would think we are in the relegation zone.

I'm too emotional, I acknowledge that.

No marquee signing in Jan which is a little frustrating.

But at least we've added

Depth on the Wing
A better 3rd choice CM
backup for Gabriel at CB.

None if it should hinder our summer window, which I hope to see us add a marquee CM and hopefully another quality winger.

That's the main thing.

After sleeping on it my frustration has dissipated. The positives are:

• EPL experienced
  • will require no adjustment period (given he has lived in London for years)
  • proven winner who has experience in big moments/games
  • leader (Captain of Italy)
  • reportedly a good culture guy
  • short term contract that gives us flexibility
  • can cover both midfield positions
  • shouldn't affect our long-term plans
  • Arteta has been an admirer for years and was keen to sign him previously
  • not too old for a midfielder that plays the way he does, he has never relied upon athletic traits

That's the main thing.

After sleeping on it my frustration has dissipated. The positives are:

• EPL experienced
  • will require no adjustment period (given he has lived in London for years)
  • proven winner who has experience in big moments/games
  • leader (Captain of Italy)
  • reportedly a good culture guy
  • short term contract that gives us flexibility
  • can cover both midfield positions
  • shouldn't affect our long-term plans
  • Arteta has been an admirer for years and was keen to sign him previously
  • not too old for a midfielder that plays the way he does, he has never relied upon athletic traits
Much better.

To do nothing would have been criminal, Brighton weren’t selling, we offered way overs it is what it is, jorghino whilst probably not the player he was two years ago isn’t trash either, he’s an upgrade on elneny and just need him to do a job for us which we know he can do.

Arteta is an admirer of his and I’m sure would know exactly how to play him, adding him should greatly help Partey and xhaka see out the season as well, suspect he will rotate him in Europa league games and is perfect to bring off the bench 60-70th minute to see out games in the league, keeps possession well probably even ups our possession 10-15% when he’s on the pitch, he’s a safe player with a great football intelligence, I actually think signing him may be just what gets us over the line in the end.

Fascinating quote this. Am left wondering when exactly in the last 3 years Arteta has tried to sign him (perhaps they sent us Willian instead haha).

Anyway, very interesting to read that Arteta has been the driving force and quite reassuring actually. He’s done all the hard work, carefully curating the squad and dressing room to set themselves up for success. Anyone he has now hand picked to come into the team, I can’t question.

Overall very happy with the reinforcements/strengthening that’s been done this window. 3 very decent additions across key areas of the pitch.

A slight concern remains that does Lokonga’s (much needed) loan leave us one body short in midfield, however will hopefully be fine. There’s at least some internal solutions to cater for that scenario and the club is well positioned for a big few months ahead. Bring it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An EPL loan probably best and if he keeps banging them in then we need to work something out.

I guess it will all depend on the moves we make over summer. I believe we could potentially sell Balogun unfortunately, though there's no way we would sell Patino.

We have recently been linked with CHO from the Chavs. He looked like a huge latent when he was originally coming through the ranks, but the knee injury seemed to have severely dented his potential rise. Looks like he's having an underwhelming loan spell at Leverkusen too.

Balogun has also spent time playing as a wide forward. I think there is a place for him to be integrated in the next year or two. Arteta is attempting to emulate City whereby there isn’t a significant drop off between their “first” XI and “second” XI.

I get the sense ESR is being earmarked for a future CM position, perhaps in the Xhaka position. Martinelli and Trossard for the left. Saka for the right....and then Nelson/Marquinhos. Unknown quantities at the moment. Just my read on it, with CL next season as well I can see opportunities for Balogun.

I guess it will all depend on the moves we make over summer. I believe we could potentially sell Balogun unfortunately, though there's no way we would sell Patino.

We have recently been linked with CHO from the Chavs. He looked like a huge latent when he was originally coming through the ranks, but the knee injury seemed to have severely dented his potential rise. Looks like he's having an underwhelming loan spell at Leverkusen too.
I saw Hudson-Odoi when Chelsea played the Glory in Perth. Was immense all game. Not the highest calibre opposition I know, but was really impressive.

I saw Hudson-Odoi when Chelsea played the Glory in Perth. Was immense all game. Not the highest calibre opposition I know, but was really impressive.

He was their highest rated talent for years. He was even rated as a bigger talent than Saka when they both started to break into the senior side.

Who knows if he still has that talent in him? Plenty of youngsters have shown flashes early, only to fizzle out.

On a side note, wonder what Hutchinson is thinking now.

Balogun has also spent time playing as a wide forward. I think there is a place for him to be integrated in the next year or two. Arteta is attempting to emulate City whereby there isn’t a significant drop off between their “first” XI and “second” XI.

I get the sense ESR is being earmarked for a future CM position, perhaps in the Xhaka position. Martinelli and Trossard for the left. Saka for the right....and then Nelson/Marquinhos. Unknown quantities at the moment. Just my read on it, with CL next season as well I can see opportunities for Balogun.
Nelson is gone, they’ll sell him imo

I get the same feeling regarding ESR otherwise the signing of Vieira nor the desire to add 2 wide players makes no sense.

As for Balogun, they nearly lost him, I'm not sure he'd accept another loan period. Ironically Eddie's form has shown him the way and it's his place most under threat.

Nelson is gone, they’ll sell him imo

His contract expires this summer I recall. He’ll either walk on a free somewhere or Arsenal would have to renew him to then on sell. Hard to call this one, he seems to get injured at the worst time right when he’s on the verge of stringing some form together.

His contract expires this summer I recall. He’ll either walk on a free somewhere or Arsenal would have to renew him to then on sell. Hard to call this one, he seems to get injured at the worst time right when he’s on the verge of stringing some form together.
Ahh... I thought it was next summer his contract runs out 😔

Ahh... I thought it was next summer his contract runs out 😔

I looked it up just to double check - its June 2023. So a few months away. Interesting to see how Arsenal handles his contract situation, with so many players leaving for free in recent years the club really needs to improve this source of revenue and recoup fees here and there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back