Autopsy UP THE ******* COASTERSSS!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Following on from my previous post, there are some great non-broadcast videos of the winning goal on the net.

This one’s my favourite, captured from almost the same spot as Channel 7’s camera but it shows the bays of Eagles supporters jumping up and if you turn it up you can really hear the roar (unlike in Channel 7’s ridiculously quiet coverage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_6TMOvZAU

This one has been posted but worth linking again:

https://youtu.be/n2kEo7Fz0co?list=FLcKl_tQV-_lpIc_YTDnvDxQ&t=214

This one shows the last 5 minutes, filmed from a pro-Pies bay on centre wing. Features Collingwood supporters’ disbelief:

https://youtu.be/yT2veWI3q_Q?list=FLcKl_tQV-_lpIc_YTDnvDxQ

This one was filmed by some kid sitting on the top deck with Dom Sheed kicking towards him:

https://youtu.be/Ity6q5lBcFw?list=FLcKl_tQV-_lpIc_YTDnvDxQ&t=324

Following on from my previous post, there are some great non-broadcast videos of the winning goal on the net.

This one’s my favourite, captured from almost the same spot as Channel 7’s camera but it shows the bays of Eagles supporters jumping up and if you turn it up you can really hear the roar (unlike in Channel 7’s ridiculously quiet coverage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_6TMOvZAU

This one has been posted but worth linking again:

https://youtu.be/n2kEo7Fz0co?list=FLcKl_tQV-_lpIc_YTDnvDxQ&t=214

This one shows the last 5 minutes, apparently filmed from the MCC reserve. Features Collingwood supporters’ disbelief:

https://youtu.be/yT2veWI3q_Q?list=FLcKl_tQV-_lpIc_YTDnvDxQ

This one was filmed by some kid sitting on the top deck with Dom Sheed kicking towards him:

https://youtu.be/Ity6q5lBcFw?list=FLcKl_tQV-_lpIc_YTDnvDxQ&t=324
Thanks for posting this. Great stuff!

A few (a lot, I don't post here often!) random thoughts from an Irish fan a week later.

Finally got around to rewatch the game tonight. Watching it from 5am and being all tense is not a great way to analyse!

The first quarter wasn't as bad as I initially thought. We should have scored the first. And their goals were very lucky and came off unlikely errors. Poor by Cole to drop the mark and an awful kick from Hurn and then two badly missed tackles from Redden and McGovern let in Degoey. But it wasn't like the Collingwood pressure was immense or forcing turnovers, it was a bit of luck and some poor play more than anything. Once we settled down and controlled the game, by far the better side and played them off the field.

Some serious intercept marks tho and not letting them take the ball to ground helped a lot. Actually on that, their first behind was off a long ball in, McGovern goes back to mark and Mayne just turns his back to the ball, tackles McGovern before it lands but it was play on. No blocking call there on an absolutely blatant one. Barass had a super first half. Really out played Cox. Quieter second, but Collingwood changed their delivery into Cox that suits him better, he isn't able to deal with contact or contested marks with physical contact. He's fine with a free run over the heads of others, but standing start, he's no use.

Sheed was very good too. I didn't notice him as much as I did Shuey during the game, but he got through a lot of work. Yeo was really stifled and didn't like it. He needs to work through the tag and if he can't bring a positive to the game, then don't be a negative. Gave away some silly frustrated free kicks.

I didn't think Ryan had a good game, but he did what you'd like from a player who wasn't going well, he had good moments and still contributed. The hit on Maynard was a beaut, great mark in the last goal passage and one or two other nice hand balls. That missed mark in the third was a shocker though.

Fair play to Darling to shake off a horrendous first half to come out so strong in the third. That missed mark at the end though!

Shuey was outstanding. He was just so consistent. Kept going all game long. Huge goal before half time. Just after that was a great passage of play where the eagles really got going and the tackles and intensity really lifted. It ended with a terrible non call for Josh Kennedy for holding the ball when he'd have had a shot for goal after the siren.

Kennedy was good, if not at his brilliant best. It's rare on grand final days for a key forward to kick a bag full, but he got a few in. Another in the 4th could have made the run in a lot less tense, but I'll forgive him that one.

Rioli was similar to Ryan, a few nice touches here and there, but nothing majorly consistent. Lecras and Venables were virtually non existent, although Lecras passed up a handy goal to play it into Hutchings for his score. Cripps was marginally better than both, but as much as he can be a quiet player, he still as an ability to be a difference maker that he didn't really get to show on Saturday. Lovely little play from Rioli to Cripps for that goal he got and decent finish too.

Jetta, Duggan and Cole did well when called upon whilst not being spectacular. Duggan caught a great mark in the second which was at a vital stage when pressure was on. Hurn was a great captain influence, calming things down and slowing the game when it needed to. Made a great defensive effort too when outnumbered and played really intelligently.

Schofield was excellent. Degoey got 3, but I couldn't fault Schofield for any of them, from a Collingwood point of view, 3 very good goals. Certainly a star talent for them, but he looks a complete a-hole to me.

Hutchings tag on Sidebottom was huge. Really kept him quiet. And it was the right coaching choice to take him and not Pendlebury. He really was poor and looked out of sorts. Masten didn't get through much ball, but was good enough when he had it. Should have kicked a goal too though. I had though Redden would have had more of an impact, he bobbed up now and then, but was down on his other finals performances.

The ruck duo really did a number on Grundy. Just a tag team effort to nullify him. Lycett really should have goaled which would have given them each a goal, but either way, it was a superb effort from then both. I didn't think I'd see Vardy kick a goal in a winning premiership team, so credit to him for working so hard for his chance.

Simpson really got his tactics right too. The team were very well drilled. They went a few goals down but never panicked. Things weren't going well, but the team was so well drilled that they stayed true to their form and kept playing their game. More often than not, teams or players get ruffled and just start launching aimless ball down the field, but they didn't, kept to their marking possession game, got the ball in hand and took control, even though they were still behind.

As for the Rioli block, I'm not someone who grew up with the game or will know all it's intricacies, but as the ball was dropping it seems clear both players are engaged for the ball to drop to their position. Maynard even turns his back to it before Sheed steals in to take the mark. I also think Ryan was hitting it to Rioli too. To me, I don't see that as a free, Maynard has no interest in going to attack the ball, he's trying to stop Rioli and get front position. Now, like I said, I can't say I know everything, but I don't see a free.

Stephenson was never getting that ball from Adams too, awful kick and the runner is taking slack that should not be directed at him at all.

That 4th quarter started terribly, but after their blistering 2 goal start, they were totally annihilated for the rest, and only for a few really bad set shots, it would have been a much wider winning margin.

Despite the 5 goal head start, I never thought it was gone or out of reach. It wasn't like the 2015 one where they played awful, Collingwood just happened to get goals from no where without being dominant.

It was some win, considering the absent players over the season, even earlier on when Darling went down in career best form, Kennedy being out right up to finals and obviously the 3 outs for the final. Huge credit to the coaching staff and the squad to battle through and get them all on the one page.

Was fierce hard watching live not to wake up the family all asleep, but they were all up just in time for the end and the presentation so got them in to watch that with me. My 4 year old son asked to wear his Eagles hoodie for the day and went around telling anyone he saw that the Eagles won the final and he was cheering them on with Dad! Looking forward to when we get back to Perth and go to Optus and get to see a game live with him.

Up the coasters!

Last edited:
I hate the fact trade week starts less than 48 hours after the grand final. Everyone has already moved on from our amazing feat and talking about trades. Give us more kudos ya campaigners. Should be at least a week of savouring the premiership feeling.

But since no-one other than us wants to relive the flag we won just 7 days ago, let’s make it a priority to bump any premiership threads on our board to stay on page 1 until at least January 1 2019.

We’re premiers campaigners!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back