Roast Up yours Oakley, you can still * off.

Remove this Banner Ad

But it is possible that Oakley did the Tiges an unintentional favour by flagging a potential merger and then the tiges got off their backsides and fought for survival successfully

That prick was happy to let clubs die. That’s his legacy. He can FRO.

That prick was happy to let clubs die. That’s his legacy. He can FRO.
Was it his last act or Demeglomaniac's first to stop the North-Fitzroy merger and push the one with the Bears? The North Fitzroy Drop Bears would have won three more flags, so thank Dyer that didn't happen.

My loathing for Ross Oakley remains so strong I'm really kinda grumpy you made me think about him again, cap. ;)

Never forget Razor. Neve forget.

I wish this hindsight and anger existed right across the board for those ten years. Yeah, Footscray got narky, and there were rallies and tin drives, but there was also an acceptance even amongst Victorian supporters. It was still a "footy club" mentality, not corporate business and manipulation of financial rules to generate money from outside the box. Read posts from this place ten years ago, and it's people from every state calling for the heads of North, Footscray, Melbourne etc...during the moment, we were all hearing about rationalisation strategies like it was the modern method. I sat in a bar and watched the Hawks v Sydney QF in 1996 "knowing" it was the Hawks last ever match, with just this weird acceptance that they couldn't have done any more. Noone considered 100k disenfranchised supporters until they put away their Fitzroy scarves for the last time...I was having my own internal conversations deciding how much I liked this Melbourne Hawks set up...!

This anger needs context. The idea of tv paying for everything and AFL dividends, etc, was still pretty new, and the notion of billion dollar deals putting everyone in the black, which by most if not all definitions it's done, were fantasy. It sucked that our teams were under the pump, but we still saw their rationale. We accepted Fitzroy's execution by comparison with what would happen today if they tried the same stunt! If they'd hung around for another 5 years, Port would have joined regardless, and then the Lions would have been able to benefit from tv dividends, etc...I believe they'd be here today if they'd lasted through that period...

Oakley's position was considered a brutal wisdom at the time. Jackson and then Demetriou were all about keeping all teams solvent and on the field because the landscape had changed with tv and deals involving a certain number of games every week. Maybe we'd have liked him more if some other bean counter was the guy who unsuccessfully tried to kill everyone - if he came later, you get the feeling he would have rode the tv expansion era, because that's the way it was going everywhere - tv was coming no matter who the boss was, Rupert and Super League a perfect example of the circling vultures, and Oakley would have gone that way if he did that period instead...

Ex Fitzroy supporter here.

Some people forget that even when Fitzroy was battling for survival the VFL actively blocked them from succeeding.
Think payTV, VFL would’nt let Galaxy sponsor us, conflict with C7. Hardly a conflict, Galaxy had nuthin on at that time, let alone footy telecasts.
Then they let Melbourne get sponsored by Tooheys (Tooheys blue, Tooheys Red)while CUB was major sponsor. Criminal.
Even stopped a rich taxi industry guy from tipping a big chunk in.

I was against FItzroy relocating but if it had gone to Brisbane at the start I would have stayed a member. None of this Tiger journey would’ve happened.
Couldn’t be happier right now, but I genuinely gave the game away for about 6 years.

Some people forget that even when Fitzroy was battling for survival the VFL actively blocked them from succeeding.
Think payTV, VFL would’nt let Galaxy sponsor us, conflict with C7. Hardly a conflict, Galaxy had nuthin on at that time, let alone footy telecasts.
Then they let Melbourne get sponsored by Tooheys (Tooheys blue, Tooheys Red)while CUB was major sponsor. Criminal.

I was against FItzroy relocating but if it had gone to Brisbane at the start I would have stayed a member. None of this Tiger journey would’ve happened.
Couldn’t be happier right now, but I genuinely gave the game away for about 6 years.
Great to have u onboard liv , was a heartbreaking time for the lions . I knew many diehards, they either gave up all together or went with the bris lions , even split

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And now Jeff Kennett is calling for clubs who don’t meet certain criteria to be demoted from the league. It was only 25 years ago they were voting for their club to merge. Disgusting comments. He can FRO with this view as well.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Good pick up cb what a short sighted old fool he was to happily see iconic clubs go down the gurgler . Unbelievable to think what may have been
Do not feck around with iconic clubs...ever...they are the heart and soul of Footy!
I'm not even a Fitzroy supporter and I still grieve a little about their untimely demise...every now and again I get a sharp jolt to the old memory cells...
Like reading the Jack Irish Novels by Peter Temple...and in the middle of detective work JAK ends up in a bar with old Roy supporters listening to them reminiscing about old Roy games won and lost...and I go ahhh yeah...history just gone down the gurgler...

And now Jeff Kennett is calling for clubs who don’t meet certain criteria to be demoted from the league. It was only 25 years ago they were voting for their club to merge. Disgusting comments. He can FRO with this view as well.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower
Could not have facepalmed any harder when I heard this news...

I'm loyal. I see it as a flaw. Please create the Tasmanian stand alone AFL team so that I don't have this conflict anymore...

Just staggers me how a man who has spent so much of his life going out of his way so often to cause misery for others, ends up an ambassador for Beyond Blue.

He's apparently utterly blind to the fact he's acting like a complete dog for zero good reason virtually every time he opens his mouth or puts pen to paper.

Professional maggot, probably end up getting a State funeral.

I and all of my extended family were nearly 'ex Fitzroy'. Thankfully my Fitzroy Grandfather married my Richmond Grandmother. This was way back in 1924. He and his side didnt stand a chance against the Mighty Tiges.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oakley is an absolute c*nt.
You’ll be pleased to know I actually had a go at the campaigner at a local footy game. I was out suspended and watching my mob play his sons side at the time. Oakley jnr got belted and Ol mate Ross got out of his car and sprayed everyone from our club.
So he got told to remove himself from the premises or take what was coming. Lol

Growing up i had a soft spot for the roys, when i went to their last game against us , i said to a roy
Supporter if this happens to richmond , i will never follow footy again, oakley is a dog , i was gutted for the club and their supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back