Politics Upcoming election, what do?

Remove this Banner Ad

The major parties (I feel particularly the Liberals, but Labor too) simply don't get it.

All they shout when they talk about their decline at this election is blame, blame, blame- it's always someone else's fault. Eric Abetz right now is the latest.

How about taking ownership of the fact that you're on the nose with people because of your own policies and lack of resonation with people.
Turnbull's rant was appalling Saturday night; I was disgusted.

Abetz is terrible. His extremely conservative religious views resonate with very few. Whilst the media haven't spoken about it, I believe that he was by far the key player in installing three staunch conservatives in Northern Tasmania last election. One would have thought something like last night would always be possible when you have three people in neighboring electorates that are ultimately caricatures of one another. I'm not sure how Abetz found such great power within the Tasmanian Liberals, but I can't see how his position is tenable as the branch leader after what happened Saturday.

Someone forgot to tell Bill the election was over. Still making false statements backed with zero fact about what the LNP are going to do
and producing meaningless spin when challenged on it.

Whoever wins government will cop intense scrutiny over the procedural stuff now. Any internal division will be a huge deal because you could lose your majority if someone retires or crosses the floor or resigns from the party or whatever. And if you have a minority, it'll be all about which independent/minor party you've climbed into bed with. A majority of 76 means that the speakership goes to an independent or an opposition member, or else the speaker is the deciding vote. Either way, it'll mean either the government is held to account a little better (by the speaker, stopping them going on tangents or failing to answer the question or whatever) or they'll be under further intense scrutiny about bias. And that's before you even get to the upper house...

It's good for democracy anyway, as long as you don't mind a bit of a circus and aren't particularly partisan. And as far as circuses go, they've sacked the clown, so it can't be as globally embarrassing this time as it was last time (unless they rehire the clown..).

I'm tired, I think my maths is broken. (I used to be good at maths :( )

Its always a bit confusing. Because it's quite literally a zero sum game, doing the maths for increasing the total of one party (which necessarily means adjusting the other parties as well) means adding and subtracting more digits than it should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its always a bit confusing. Because it's quite literally a zero sum game, doing the maths for increasing the total of one party (which necessarily means adjusting the other parties as well) means adding and subtracting more digits than it should.
Yeah. It (of course) is 50% of 150, +1 for the speaker. An absolute of 50% would mean stealing an MP off the opposition/crossbench and putting them as the speaker.. giving the opposition 50% of 150, - 1 and thus the government would have a majority (a tiny one, but enough to get s**t done without debating it first). Tired brain is tired.

Either way, plenty of scrutiny, which is a good thing. Although it perhaps takes the emphasis off policy, which is a bad thing. But then lack of scrutiny of process would mean bad policy gets through unchecked... so... eh. Guess it comes back to your agenda. Personally I like scrutiny on the systems of government.

Has anyone told Bill he's lost the election? Or the media?

His victory lap of Australia would be even more amusing if the media weren't swallowing it whole.

You're joking aren't you? The result may end up reading a Liberal win but they were pummeled in this election...
Are we forgetting that 9 months ago the Liberals were staring down the barrel of being wiped out? They changed the face of their garbage policies and that's it.

Yet somehow 9 months later they win the election. I'm aware the media are slamming them but how the hell do they win despite not improving ANY of their policies from the last 9 months?

EDIT: I guess at least its proved my long held theory that the average voters vote for the leader of a party not their policies.

Are we forgetting that 9 months ago the Liberals were staring down the barrel of being wiped out? They changed the face of their garbage policies and that's it.

Yet somehow 9 months later they win the election. I'm aware the media are slamming them but how the hell do they win despite not improving ANY of their policies from the last 9 months?

EDIT: I guess at least its proved my long held theory that the average voters vote for the leader of a party not their policies.

Of course it's got everything to do with who is leading the party. You can't vote for policies when the people who are meant to be implementing them can't be trusted and don't follow through with what they say...

Abbott was a compulsive liar and a dickhead to boot. At least Turnbull is somewhat tolerable as a person...

Of course they do.

It illustrates what a walking accident Abbott was.

Perhaps, but 8 months ago they were anticipating a landslide win.

More than that, of late the opinion of the PM is what really matters, though that's tightly integrated with the perceived competence of the Government more broadly. The Opposition barely figures, let alone the OL.

Abbott was a compulsive liar and a dickhead to boot. At least Turnbull is somewhat tolerable as a person...
Fair points.
Of course they do.

It illustrates what a walking accident Abbott was.
I miss Tony. He was great fun. :p
Perhaps, but 8 months ago they were anticipating a landslide win.

More than that, of late the opinion of the PM is what really matters, though that's tightly integrated with the perceived competence of the Government more broadly. The Opposition barely figures, let alone the OL.
Once it became apparent nothing was changing under Turnbull there was no way in hell they were having a landslide victory.

Look I'm not saying that Turnbull performed better and I accept I'm in the minority with my thoughts.

But I'd like to see Shorten doing less of the back slapping and more of the trying to work out why, ultimately, they're going to come up short.

You're joking aren't you? The result may end up reading a Liberal win but they were pummeled in this election...

Yes they where but Labour also recorded its second lowest primary vote in history. There was always going to be a swing back but lets face it they won a few seats back on preferences and not people voting for them outright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back