Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty bland stuff as you would expect in a 60 second piece, although longer than most stories we get on FTA in brisbane. why they had to mention this is broncos territory in a lions story though is strange but not surprising.

THE BRISBANE Lions' captaincy is up for grabs, new coach Chris Fagan confirmed on Monday.

But Fagan said a decision on whether incumbent Tom Rockliff would remain as skipper would not be made until a player vote before the 2017 pre-season competition.

The former Hawthorn football boss did not rule out Rockliff retaining the captaincy despite a tumultuous end to 2016.

However, Fagan said Rockliff would have to earn it.

Rockliff strained relations with the Lions at the end of this season and was reportedly interested in leaving the club, but ultimately decided to play out the final year of his deal in 2017 after receiving little interest in the NAB AFL Trade Period.

Fagan said he had two "productive" talks with Rockliff since arriving at the club.

"He knows the captaincy is up for grabs," Fagan said.

"He knows what is required and appreciates the fact that I have been clear.

"He will be treated like any other player this pre-season but I expect him to put his best foot forward."

Asked if he could see Rockliff remaining as captain, Fagan said: "I don't want to precede anything but whoever is Lions captain next year would have earned the right.

"If he (Rockliff) isn't captain he would be naturally disappointed.

"But what I am hoping is that he puts the effort in over the pre-season to put his name back up there - that's the best he can do."

Fagan officially began his Lions rebuild as coach on Monday when first-to-fourth-year players returned for pre-season training.

Players with five years or more experience like Rockliff will return in a fortnight.

Fagan revealed the Lions would hold a December camp in Tasmania as part of their pre-season.

They are coming off a 17th-placed finish last season – their third straight season in the bottom four.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-07/lions-captaincy-up-for-grabs-says-new-coach-fagan

Player vote again

THE BRISBANE Lions' captaincy is up for grabs, new coach Chris Fagan confirmed on Monday.

But Fagan said a decision on whether incumbent Tom Rockliff would remain as skipper would not be made until a player vote before the 2017 pre-season competition.

The former Hawthorn football boss did not rule out Rockliff retaining the captaincy despite a tumultuous end to 2016.
Player vote again
the way i interpreted the interview was that the players will choose the leadership group and then the leadership group in consultation with the senior coach, HOF and CEO would decide the captaincy. code for- whoever Fagan wants as captain will be captain.

Fagan officially began his Lions rebuild as coach on Monday when first-to-fourth-year players returned for pre-season training.
There it is. One day into pre-season and it is the new coach who will be credited for everything going forward. Never mind the 3 years of list turnover & reconstruction thus far, the rebuilding starts today. Apparently.

the way i interpreted the interview was that the players will choose the leadership group and then the leadership group in consultation with the senior coach, HOF and CEO would decide the captaincy. code for- whoever Fagan wants as captain will be captain.

Never saw the interview.

I would hope the coach chooses the captain and not the players.

Never saw the interview.

I would hope the coach chooses the captain and not the players.
You really do need to know who the players would prefer as part of the process.

Just missed it......anything interesting?

Stuck to the script but said all the right things.
- Would like to captain but would understand and support alternatives. Sounded resigned to losing it.
- Said unequivocably hadn't spoken to any other clubs recently.
- Didn't know what discussions his management might have had..
- Was guarded and seemed to be searching for his words but sounded sincere about getting behind the new coach.

Stuck to the script but said all the right things.
- Would like to captain but would understand and support alternatives. Sounded resigned to losing it.
- Said unequivocably hadn't spoken to any other clubs recently.
- Didn't know what discussions his management might have had..

- Was guarded and seemed to be searching for his words but sounded sincere about getting behind the new coach.

Cheers.....the disparity between these two comments confuses me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.....the disparity between these two comments confuses me.

That was deliberate. He was ok in most of the interview, but that part came across a little disingenuous to me. If your management was talking to other clubs – fine. It's almost certain the club was talking to other clubs. We get it.

Just don't lean on the "Hand on my heart I didn't eat the last biscuit (but don't ask me if it's in my pocket)".

That was deliberate. He was ok in most of the interview, but that part came across a little disingenuous to me. If your management was talking to other clubs – fine. It's almost certain the club was talking to other clubs. We get it.

Just don't lean on the "Hand on my heart I didn't eat the last biscuit (but don't ask me if it's in my pocket)".
As he wipes the crumbs from his mouth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back