Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Way to rise above.

It's a very positive start and better than anybody could imagine; but what needs to happen to sustain or even grow the popularity of the competition? Or do we leave it as a marketing campaign as you compared it to?
I didn't compare it to a marketing campaign, I said it was a more sophisticated engagement model than you seem to be able to grasp.

Starting junior footy about 20 or so years ago there was always a few girls in the comps in every year level up until about U16s, even had a few in my team a few times. No one on my team or opposition ever said anything to them negatively. Admittedly though we never tackled them or bumped them hard but they were accepted as players in the comp and we all respected them as such. My cousin and I were chatting about this one time as he was surprised to see a girl on our team. He was coming from a League background and said it's a stark contrast to how rugby league views females participating in their leagues. It was looked down upon and they weren't encouraged to play (this was about 10 years ago so times may have changed). I get the league is more physical but it does show the difference between the two sporting cultures.

You can see why AFLW in QLD has always been fairly strong. Having grown up through the AFL juniors system and seeing it all first hand, even I am surprised to see this amount of growth over the past few years. When I left local footy 8 years ago there were about 6 or so ladies teams competing in the region, from a quick glance there are now over 24+ through various age groups and still increasing.

game over, 2 part show on SBS (insight) on the 11th and 18th of april. gave me a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye watching Justin Clarke tear up in this teaser.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/insight/tvepisode/game-over

The thought of still having jase running around our backline is tantalising. Him and Andrews would have terrorised opposition forwards for the next decade.

So unfortunate for him.

Man, Justin Clarke was going to be a such a good defender. All very sad. But at least he had stuff happening away from football to focus on unlike a few others who have unfortunately found themselves in similar positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching it now. Very raw and revealing to hear the impact of his concussion. Not remembering the period post retirement due to concussion is disturbing. Seems like a top bloke deserved a longer AFL career.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Absolutely top guy. That was hard to watch. I sat next to Justin at the triple premiership function back in 2013 and we had a good chat. We're the same age but he's much taller than me. He said I may be due for a growth spurt - smart ass!

I'm just very glad he is okay - that is more important than anything.

Bloody hard to watch wasn't it even after all this time. What a genuinely likable and decent guy. I'm so glad that he is putting the pieces back together and, even though it still has some lingering affects, that the injury won't hold him back.

From a purely selfish note, here was a kid who wanted to play footy. For us. And was happy and grateful to do it. And he was already good and going to be even better.

And that shite happened. Screw you footy Gods. Even now. Still.

Geez it still cuts so raw for the poor guy too. Even as he is reminded he has an identity outside of footy and talks about his academic past, it's clearly still not the identity he wants to take on at this stage of his life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back