Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he can kick 40+ you'd surely back him to win it right? Irrespective of disposals that mids get, how could anyone beat a 40 goal season?

Obviously a long way to go before that, but surely he'd win if he does.

Hogan kicked 44 goals to somehow beat Cripps it in 2015.

Needs more consistency. Can't help but think the media have now over rated him a bit. Looks great but the likes of McGrath etc are playing 4 quarter footy and look classy while doing so. Happy for Hipwood but it's hard for a tall to win these awards.

A 19 year old second year 203 cm forward needs more consistency - who'd have thought.

This is the rising star not the brownlow, and if he kicks 40+ I'd say that's pretty damn consistent.

A 19 year old second year 203 cm forward needs more consistency - who'd have thought.

This is the rising star not the brownlow, and if he kicks 40+ I'd say that's pretty damn consistent.
Yes, outside of the likes of Talia and Hogan (who played very good footy in their winning years), its nearly impossible to win the award as a tall. Hipwoods career projects very similarly to Danihers so far (Daniher probably better) and he didn't get near winning it.

It's round 5 bud... Hipwood is no certainty to kick 40 goals so no need to get your panties in a bunch over something that hasn't even happened yet.

Yes, outside of the likes of Talia and Hogan (who played very good footy in their winning years), its nearly impossible to win the award as a tall. Hipwoods career projects very similarly to Danihers so far (Daniher probably better) and he didn't get near winning it.

It's round 5 bud... Hipwood is no certainty to kick 40 goals so no need to get your panties in a bunch over something that hasn't even happened yet.

Sigh...okay 'bud'

I think it is near impossible for the media to overrate one of our players. The majority don't really have a clue about the Lions list. I think that extends to the broader football world too. It is pretty understandable - I don't know that I'd have paid us much attention in recent years either.

I think it is near impossible for the media to overrate one of our players. The majority don't really have a clue about the Lions list. I think that extends to the broader football world too. It is pretty understandable - I don't know that I'd have paid us much attention in recent years either.

Why does not having a clue about the list make it nearly impossible to overrate one of our players?

Marco peperoni likes this.

Why does not having a clue about the list make it nearly impossible to overrate one of our players?
How do you overrate players you've never watched?

Basically they need to be pretty good pretty early to get noticed. Therefore, it would be difficult to have a player overrated by the media.

How do you overrate players you've never watched?

Basically they need to be pretty good pretty early to get noticed. Therefore, it would be difficult to have a player overrated by the media.

Pretty easily because you don't have a good idea of how good they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention that Hipwood was interviewed last night on SEN run home programme. ( sorry I'm useless adding links)

It was pretty much de Ja vu with all the same questions asked by Plough again ( just like his future stars interview)

Interestingly the other hosts couldn't believe the height and speed hippy has. Plus how much he looks like Rafa, how skinny he is, what's he benching.
Hippy talks as a humble but focused individual.

They finished off saying if they had a choice right now between the 2 shack or hippy all would choose hippy. But with a fwd line of hippy and shack that the future of the lions was looking bright. As always, in this case plough had to finish off the segment with " but there are issues with schache staying" To deflate the whole positive segment.

All in all good to hear finally VIC media talk up one of our own. He spoke well and represented the clubs in a positive way

Almost every media source I've read, listened to, or watched has put an emphasis on "if Schache stays".

It's a legitimate thing. If he stays we are set for the next 10 years and if not we're set back another 2 years and we have to hope Connor can be that second forward for us with Hipwood.

Signing Schache is just so huge for the club and I can see why the media emphasise it.

On this topic, this week's Sliding Doors (copies and pasted to save other people giving Barrett the website hits):

If
you've got Hipwood, Andrews, Schache and McStay ...
Then ...
the spine, in a few years, may be vying to be the best in the comp. Need to keep Schache.

Started up positive, encouraging - I was wondering if Barrett was actually going to say something promising about the club... Nope, just another hit about Schache's contract.

On this topic, this week's Sliding Doors (copies and pasted to save other people giving Barrett the website hits):

If
you've got Hipwood, Andrews, Schache and McStay ...
Then ...
the spine, in a few years, may be vying to be the best in the comp. Need to keep Schache.

Started up positive, encouraging - I was wondering if Barrett was actually going to say something promising about the club... Nope, just another hit about Schache's contract.

Must be good to stop Boyd from kicking 8

Brisbane draftee Jarrod Berry set to sign with Lions until end of 2020
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
an hour ago
BRISBANE are set to lock away draftee Jarrod Berry until the end of 2020.

Berry has impressed in his four games for the Lions and has been offered a two-year contract extension beyond his standard two-year draftee deal.

His manager Matt Bain said Berry, from North Ballarat, had settled in well at Brisbane and wanted to extend his contract.

Both parties expect the deal to be done within days.

SELECTION: ALL THE ROUND 7 TEAMS

PAY DEAL: PLAYERS SET FOR $1.8 BILLION PAY DAY

“We’re close, he’s happy there and is pretty keen to get it done,’’ Bain said.

The Lions’ second pick in last year’s draft earned the praise of coach Chris Fagan after last Saturday’s 83-point hiding by Port Adelaide where he was given a defensive assignment on Power star Brad Ebert.

It is understood Ebert offered him words of encouragement after the siren and told other Lions players he had been greatly impressed with his work rate.

fcae3c66efb1325a8d22892fdbb982eb

Jarrod Berry is set to sign a two-year contract extension with Brisbane. Picture: Getty
The 19-year-old is already talked of as a future leader.

It took Berry just one NEAFL game to make his mark on the club.

It was the Lions’ clash with Sydney, the first match the club had played after the passing of Tommy Hanley, the brother Cian and former Lion Pearce.

Lions officials say Berry thought the atmosphere among the team was too light-hearted.

Demonstrating maturity and leadership beyond his years, he called the group together and said black arm bands meant nothing if they weren’t supported by actions.

Spurred on by his words the Lions beat the Swans for the first time since 2013.

They played three times last year and the Swans won by more than 100 points each time.

Lions CEO Greg Swann said he was aware of Berry’s words that day and revealed it was just one of many anecdotes he had heard about the impact he was having at the club.

“He’s a terrific kid, he has made a big impression on everyone,’’ he said.

Originally published as Berry set for Lions contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back