Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the focus on life outside of football. The plus side of this is its a significant retention bonus. If we can get these guys into uni programs, apprenticeships, business ventures or other such gigs; they will have another link tying them to Brisbane. That way even if the results dont come they have another reason to stay. Its such a simple solution but something we obviously weren't doing well before.

I like the focus on life outside of football. The plus side of this is its a significant retention bonus. If we can get these guys into uni programs, apprenticeships, business ventures or other such gigs; they will have another link tying them to Brisbane. That way even if the results dont come they have another reason to stay. Its such a simple solution but something we obviously weren't doing well before.
I heard last year that Shane Woewodin wanted all of the young boys to go out and get part time jobs.
Leppa basically told him to get ****ed.

I heard last year that Shane Woewodin wanted all of the young boys to go out and get part time jobs.
Leppa basically told him to get ****ed.
Leppa wasn't fit to be a head coach. I've been hearing quiet a few negative things about his ability to manage both players and coaches. Some from the players themselves of which I won't name. Had his favourites that's for sure.

Was mentioned on SEN today, when talking about Hodge's future that if he wanted to play on for a year, and learn about coaching, the best team to go to was the Lions because of his connection with Fagan, and that he'd be a great leader on-field for our younger ones..

..but they then said, if we were in Vic, they thought he would do that, but can't see him uprooting his family when he also wants to do media etc..

Leppa wasn't fit to be a head coach. I've been hearing quiet a few negative things about his ability to manage both players and coaches. Some from the players themselves of which I won't name. Had his favourites that's for sure.
Leppa is a club champion and deserves respect for his achievements and efforts for the club. The fact he didn't get the results as a coach should never detract from his contribution to The Brisbane Lions. IMO, no club champion should be sacked from a club. (Be it player or coach) Administration managed things very poorly in his tenure as coach and if he had the same resources as the current coach has, I am sure he would have achieved better results.
Happy to have Fagan as our current coach but don't like our past champions talked about in a derogatory way.

Leppa is a club champion and deserves respect for his achievements and efforts for the club. The fact he didn't get the results as a coach should never detract from his contribution to The Brisbane Lions. IMO, no club champion should be sacked from a club. (Be it player or coach) Administration managed things very poorly in his tenure as coach and if he had the same resources as the current coach has, I am sure he would have achieved better results.
Happy to have Fagan as our current coach but don't like our past champions talked about in a derogatory way.
Ah wat? If they are a bad coach and not getting the results, are we just supposed to leave them for another year? (in this case, Leppa had a whole nother year to go on his contract), despite the morale being very low.

I just said he wasn't head coach material, which is a fair enough statement I would have thought considering the context of my post. He is a club champion and a key member of the team that helped build this club and I highly respect him for that but as a coach he just didn't have what it takes on a strategic or personal level.

Voss deserved much better treatment than he got..

....not so sure about Leppa though. Something had to give, things were not right under his coaching......and his situation was completely different to Vossy's

Leppa will always be respected as one of our premiership players ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He sounded very confident that Rocky would be staying.

Yeah but he was also confident about Schache... when all the media knew he was already signed with Richmond.

Leppas a big enough boy to handle a bit of criticism. I think everyone's playing & coaching careers have to be viewed separately - great players often don't make great coaches the qualities you need are so different.

I never saw much positives for the club while he was in charge.

His game plan was 1 dimensional & not within the capability of the group.
He wasn't good at listening to others - example he refused to shift training time to cooler parts of the day despite all the advice to do so
He was hot headed - Zac O'Brien - Twitter outburst re trades
And no-one really improved their game under his watch exception probably zorko

The buck stops with the coach no exceptions.

Good for him that he got his job back with Richmond, he seems quite good at working one on one with players, just didn't have the qualities to oversee a whole club

Leppas a big enough boy to handle a bit of criticism. I think everyone's playing & coaching careers have to be viewed separately - great players often don't make great coaches the qualities you need are so different.

He wasn't good at listening to others - example he refused to shift training time to cooler parts of the day despite all the advice to do so

Good for him that he got his job back with Richmond, he seems quite good at working one on one with players, just didn't have the qualities to oversee a whole club

Seemed like his ego was a big issue.

Good line coach but its a big step up to a senior gig and he unfortunately fell short. Still plenty of Lions love out there for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back