Preview **UPDATE** Changes vs. Sydney - Saturday 11.45am WST

Remove this Banner Ad

What an odd comment.

There were four changes last week, all unforced. Can you point to one single example of Simpson crowing about how hard they swung the axe?

To clarify the above, if we are all expecting to see an underperforming senior player/s get dropped this week, it simply won't happen.

It will be kids and and the guys that are on the fringes of the best 22 that are axed, as it always is

There have been a few articles published under Simpsons tenure where it had been mooted that a lot of difficult selection dilemmas to be looked at when we are losing, but the status quo is always really the same. The senior guys, almost without exception, are safe.

I personally don't like it, but if Simpson hasnt done it at this point in his career, he wont be starting now.

To clarify the above, if we are all expecting to see an underperforming senior player/s get dropped this week, it simply won't happen.

It will be kids and and the guys that are on the fringes of the best 22 that are axed, as it always is

There have been a few articles published under Simpsons tenure where it had been mooted that a lot of difficult selection dilemmas to be looked at when we are losing, but the status quo is always really the same. The senior guys, almost without exception, are safe.

I personally don't like it, but if Simpson hasnt done it at this point in his career, he wont be starting now.

We had that argument earlier. I named eight or so senior players he’s dropped over the journey. None of them counted for some reason. Masten was dropped six times in three years. Schofield’s been dropped more times than he has hair follicles (admittedly not that hard). Butler was dropped in his final season. Cox and Priddis weren’t dropped but “managed”. Scott Selwood was vice captain but dropped and missed a GF as a result. And so on.

So some senior players have been dropped, some haven’t. Is that because they’re untouchable or because there’s a view in match committee that their form and “runs on the board” don’t warrant it? We can’t know.

As an example, I had Cripps in my outs this week, but I’m not expecting him to be omitted this afternoon. Partly because I know the match committee thinks very highly of him, but also because unless Cameron has suddenly become match fit after one managed-minutes hit out a week and a half ago, there’s no real candidate to replace him that will make us better.

Doesn't Darling have two kids under 5 and a beautiful wife sitting 4500km away? I feel for the bloke. That is an unbearably unjust perfect reciepe for sh*t form. Once again fu** you vAFL
I'm a Darling fan, but if he's going to play like that, he would've been better off staying at home.

BTW, I'm not buying that as an excuse.

Jemaine Jones needs to stay in the team. When Cameron is fit Cripps has to be the one to go. He's a mile from his 2018 form when he led the league in forward 50 tackles with 49. The pressure he was applying offset his deficiencies like poor hands and average kicking. Unfortunately our list managers extended his contract to 2023 when he'll be 31. No idea why he scored a 3 year deal as I doubt we had any other clubs trying to poach him. Maybe getting dropped will be the rocket he needs.

My Statement Droppings

Out: Darling, Cripps, Sheed, Hickey, Schofield, Cole
In: Allen, Cameron/Treacy, Waterman, Williams, McGovern, Watson

Allen to play CHF for Darling. Some responsibility on the young lad.

Williams as back up who goes forward so we have a bail out kick

Cripps out nuff said. Cameron in, if unfit go treacy

Sheed offering nothing except being one of our spectators allowed to watch. Waterman to play high hff as he does. He runs hard, presents up the ground. His ground kicking worries me but I’d rather effort this week.

Gov schoey don’t need to elaborate.

Watson in for Cole. He is something different our backline doesn’t have. He takes the game on with his legs. Kicking not elite but need some dash. Also nice and Long. If he’s on the list at his age he should be playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our recruiters know what they are doing with Ainsworth gaiz.

I'm going to go with their opinions over yours as to why we didn't take Worpel. I'm going to back our team in, despite the latter winning a best and fairest in his second season.

Amirite!
He’d only be playing in the WAFL if we got him

Redden one last chance, this time presumably by himself in the role without Brander to split time with. Surprised Cripps made the cut.

Jetta dropped is one for all you “Simmo doesn’t drop senior players”. Dropped on NAIDOC week with the indigenous jumper being worn too, which is another reason I’ve seen bandied around as to why certain players get a game - up there with “he played him because it’s his birthday” as a ridiculous theory that’s born and died on here.

Happy to see professional Papley stopper Jackson Nelson deployed. Didn’t think he did anything to get dropped.

Don’t mind the changes. Sydney’s ruck stocks are grim. Time for the mids to feed on Nic Nat’s work.

Just ******* win campaigners.

Jetta getting axed is a surprise.

To be honest, I think out team looks better on paper without Brander on a wing.

Just need to figure out how we are going to find a role for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back