Preview **UPDATE** Changes vs. Sydney - Saturday 11.45am WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you see Allen play last week? He didn't want the footy.

If you play semi-contested ball for a number of years it will turn a team into a soft team who forget how to win the hard ball.

Whilst in the ruck he was hopeless. He spent the rest of the game on the bench. Ive seen him play plenty of promising games as a forward in the past.

Yes we arent a good contested ball team and its a problem. Even when we do get the ball though it a misdirected handball or backwards handball followed by a hack kick. Never a chain of handballs going forward or a kick to a leading forward. When the other team gets it we cant tackle outside of the congestion.

And Cole, he's not AFL standard. Unsure why he wasn't delisted last season.
He had a great season in 2018, would be harsh to delist a young premiership player after one bad season.

I hope he turns it around soon because his rate of decline has been very concerning

Out brander in xxon - can't be any worse
Out hickey in Williams
Out schoey in McGovern
Out cole in rotham - need a third tall hurn just can't jump anymore
Out redden in waterman - if we are going to play a HFF may as well be a bloke who can mark and kick a goal

Out: Schofield (injured/suspended/dropped), Cripps, Hickey
In: McGovern, Cameron, Allen or Williams

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Hurn
HB: Jetta, McGovern, Duggan
C: Gaff, Redden, Brander
HF: Jones, Darling, Shuey
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen/Williams
R: Naitanui, Kelly, Yeo
I: Cole, Sheed, Ah Chee, Cameron
E: Hickey, Rotham, Petruccelle, XON

Hoping like hell Cameron is ready to go. Cripps has been trash, there’s no denying it.

I’d drop Ah Chee if I could think of anyone who could come in and play that spot. He did some decent things today but he’s symptomatic of our whole team, he just disappears for a quarter or more.

Hickey was alright in his time on the ground but it’s a waste of a spot playing him for 40% TOG, and we don’t need two rucks against Richmond. Bring in someone who can contribute in the forward line when they’re not rucking. Either Williams or Allen, Allen deserves his spot back but based on Simpson’s comments yesterday that might not happen.

Jones and Cole were alright, don’t drop them after a week.

Darling was bloody awful.

Hurn won’t be dropped but it might be a good week for him to be managed, a short turnaround and a night game isn’t going to help him any. Rotham would be the man to come in.

Good on Kennedy for finding some form but hopefully it’s not a once-off.

Out west coast

In

Someone else but west coast.
Scary but my 8 year old said flat out this afternoon - If they aren't going to try I'll support a different team that does.

Hard to tell the kid he should stick fat given the teams efforts in the hub.

What the club has served up on the field is the very anathema of what Aussie Rules Footy stands for IMO.

Really, really disappointed in the club at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scary as it is I think we need to start favoring youth a bit.

Out: Hickey, Cole, darling, Schofield
In: Allen, Cameron, Waterman, gov

A bunch of other players on very thin ice. We are just pretty bad across the park atm and probably need to start thinking about the future. Without any picks and with an old list that appears to be slowing down we could be set for a bit of a drop.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: Schofield, Hickey, Redden, Cripps
In: McGovern, Allen, Exxon, Cameron

Time to acknowledge that Redden’s new role (for obvious reasons) and Cripps’ 2020 (for some reason) isn’t working.

They’re not dropping Darling or Hurn, but there’s some vets not pulling their weight and at a certain point you’ve got to drop them, extensive runs or the board or not.

Keep rolling out Brander, last week was his best game and then this week was his best game. He’s growing into it somewhat with consecutive games of footy for the first time ever. Not convinced it’ll work but if you’re starting this experiment you might as well see it through when it’s hinting at showing results, no sense pulling the plug now.

Keep rolling out Brander, last week was his best game and then this week was his best game. He’s growing into it somewhat with consecutive games of footy for the first time ever. Not convinced it’ll work but if you’re starting this experiment you might as well see it through when it’s hinting at showing results, no sense pulling the plug now.
He was better last week, and I'd have rated that around a 5/10 game at best.

He was better last week, and I'd have rated that around a 5/10 game at best.

First kick going out on the full (which was the most predictable outcome ever) I thought he showed a much greater ability to link up and get involved in chains of possession today. Last week he had a few nice intercept grabs, but if he’s a mid then for me he has to be able to string some handballs together and get to the next contest, as well as take a mark as the exit kick. He did all today in a much more obvious way than some of his other games.

Either way, to me it’s splitting hairs if today was better than last week - he was fine (by the very low standards of our 2020 season). If they’re convinced that he’s a winger, then you keep it going when a) he’s starting to find some footing in the role and b) we’re staring down the barrel anyway.

I still don’t quite get it, I still don’t believe it’ll work long term, and he still hears footsteps, but there’s no sense in starting a project like this and then pulling it the second things get tough, despite some shoots starting to appear. If they believe what they’re selling us with his role, then he was fine enough today to get selected again.

Drop: A selection of Cripps, Sheed, Redden, Cole, Duggan, Darling, Hickey etc.

And replace them with literally anyone - Ainsworth, Brayshaw, XON, Treacy, Cameron, Williams, Allen, whoever.

They may be nowhere near it, but we cannot get any worse and it adds some integrity to selection. This is a transition year now. It’s better to feel the list out and see what we have rather than performing poorly and not learning anything new.

I’d keep Brander in because I don’t think winning should be our priority anymore, but play him as a KPP and see if we have anything there.

But I’d also keep playing JK and Hurn for the rest of the year to help some of the kids with their development. Still I think they should retire at the end of the year and told to prioritise teaching over their own performance for the remainder.

First kick going out on the full (which was the most predictable outcome ever) I thought he showed a much greater ability to link up and get involved in chains of possession today. Last week he had a few nice intercept grabs, but if he’s a mid then for me he has to be able to string some handballs together and get to the next contest, as well as take a mark as the exit kick. He did all today in a much more obvious way than some of his other games.

Either way, to me it’s splitting hairs if today was better than last week - he was fine (by the very low standards of our 2020 season). If they’re convinced that he’s a winger, then you keep it going when a) he’s starting to find some footing in the role and b) we’re staring down the barrel anyway.

I still don’t quite get it, I still don’t believe it’ll work long term, and he still hears footsteps, but there’s no sense in starting a project like this and then pulling it the second things get tough, despite some shoots starting to appear. If they believe what they’re selling us with his role, then he was fine enough today to get selected again.
Fair enough.

I don't think we can afford to select any players unwilling to get their hands dirty and rather do all they can to avoid contact. He's done it several times each week on the Hub.

Sheed is too slow, gets shown up big time by young, hard running sides. He kicked the matchwinner a couple years back but he needs to be dropped.
He was arguably our best/most consistent mid for the first half of last season. Kicked a few match-winners. IIRC there was a pretty big thread here at one point, on his progression since the GF.

Hasn't had a great few weeks, like our whole midfield. But he could be the first in the firing line, with Redden doing a reasonable job on Wines.

Change the coaches box up. I'm not a subscriber to the ridiculous notion that 2018 was all Mitchell, but I also don't think the current line-up is working.

I think you can logically infer that our midfield hasn't been functioning as well as it has and perhaps Van Berlo (?) isn't up to it.

I'd like to see Simpson take over the midfield role for a while. That's where he finished up assistant coaching at Hawthorn and he was the one with the ruck idea in the 2018 finals series, he knows what he's doing.

Change the coaches box up. I'm not a subscriber to the ridiculous notion that 2018 was all Mitchell, but I also don't think the current line-up is working.

I think you can logically infer that our midfield hasn't been functioning as well as it has and perhaps Van Berlo (?) isn't up to it.

I'd like to see Simpson take over the midfield role for a while. That's where he finished up assistant coaching at Hawthorn and he was the one with the ruck idea in the 2018 finals series, he knows what he's doing.
Our transition into the forward line of blind lollipop kicks does seem a little Rosa-esque just quietly...

Not many changes will happen as that’s not Simpson’s way.

I would make a few though.

Outs
Duggan is an average player and I am sick to death of hearing give him time to develop, he makes so many errors.
Redden is not performing and the game is to quick for him. We play a slow game plan so players like him can be involved.
Cripps just isn’t performing.
Schofield for obvious reasons.

Ins
Mcgovern
Rotham
Cameron if fit
Allen

The side lacks spark and the coaches need to generate spark by changing things up.
Why can’t Ryan play midfield?, he has a good tank, he can tackle and chase and he is elusive.
Jetta to the wing, it’s where it started fir him and we need class on the wing. He can still play that role.

Cole - Barrass - Rotham
Hurn - McGovern- Shepherd
Jetta - Yeo - Gaff
Allen - Darling - Kelly
Cameron - Kennedy - Jones

NicNat - Shuey - Ryan

I/c Hickey - Ah Chee- Brander - Sheed

We simply have to generate quicker ball movement and with a Ryan and Jetta in the midfield this could happen if they are given a licence to move it on. Ryan will swap with Kelly. Ah Chee can chop out the other mids.
We must fix the midfield and until it’s fixed nothing else will change.

Not many changes will happen as that’s not Simpson’s way.

I would make a few though.

Outs
Duggan is an average player and I am sick to death of hearing give him time to develop, he makes so many errors.

Not sure we watched the same game. Duggan had 15 disposals at 86% efficiency and a single clanger. I can’t recall any mistakes that led to Port goals.

Even without checking the stats I would’ve had him in my votes, if I was bothering to do them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back