News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Something is getting missed in translation. Either the AFL CEO is incorrect when he said "Each club will provide a minimum of three players to choose from" or Mitch Cleary is wrong with the story he posted prior to the official announcement (He was also on SEN stating the maximum of 3 players prior to the official press conference).

At the moment I'm siding with the CEO rather than the journalist.
Fairly sure it is 3 minimum available each club and at most 5 playing from any single club. Heard that before the official announcement.
Gold Coast will make three available but probably only David Swallow will be picked and play. West Coast will be the other extreme of Tim Kelly,, Josh Kennedy, Shuey, Yeo and Jeremy McGovern will probably take part. Nick Nat will not be available even if he wants to play because no more than 5 from any club. Also given Gawn and Grundy will ruck for both asides, he would be surplus to needs. With his history of injuries, the conservative side of not being made available is probably the likely outcome. Gaff will also probably miss being available due to already have 5 taking part.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
A pure WA side (no per team limit and fully fit) wouldn't just complete, they would win.
Lol weve done this before, both sides have elite talent so effectively the top ends are stacked either way, but the bottom 8 in the WA 22 have players that dont even crack a spot on VICs emergency list.

You put them on paper and anyone with any knowledge of the league can see this.

In a proposed match where all we have are sides on paper, its laughably childish to suggest the vastly inferior 22 would beat the other 22 when you go through the teams. And the vast inferiority is based on the players on the bottom end of the 22.

Any gap in the top ends at all is marginal, debatable and minimal, the gap between the bottom end is substantial and clear, thats the difference.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
If an origin team were likely to come from mainly one or two AFL teams, they would have a distinct advantage. Familiarity

its more a team game now more than ever

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I am probably forgetting someone major and I am using a 2018 NSW/ACT team list I made as a starting point but here is the 2020 NSW/ACT team

B: Dane Rampe, Dougal Howard, Zac Williams
HB: Matt Suckling, Phil Davis, Harry Cunningham
C: Isaac Smith, Callum Mills, Jack Steele
HF: Matthew Kennedy, Taylor Walker, Jacob Hopper
F: Josh Bruce, Tom Hawkins, Luke Breust
FOLL: Jarrod Witts, Isaac Henney, Anthony Miles
I/C: Daniel Howe, Jacob Townsend, Will Setterfield, Harrison Himmelberg

Emergencies - Harrison Macreadie, Jeremy Finlayson, Will Langford, Nick Blakey

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
What did the AFL do after the 2009 Black Saturday fires where 10 times as many people died? Or in 1974/75 when the bushfires burned 250 million hectares compared to the 21 million hectares burned in 2019/20?

#VirtueSignalling

So because they didn't contribute in the past, they're not allowed to learn from their mistakes and contribute now? Strange logic.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Also not a perfect team, and I nicked it from another poster on another thread but here is the Queensland team

B: Jesse Joyce, Harris Andrews, Aliir Aliir
HB: Archie Smith, Rory Thompson, Jarrod Harbrow
C: Jack Bowes, David Armitage, Sam Ried
HF: Josh Thomas, Eric Hipwood, Oskar Baker
F: Charlie Cameron, Charlie Dixon, Alex Sexton
FOLL: Braydon Preuss, Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko
I/C: Brayden Crossley, Baily Scott, Brad Scheer, Ben Keays

Emergencies: Connor Ballenden, Jacob Allison, Zac Smith, Lachlan Keefe, Josh Wagner, Corey Wagner

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Unless its pure Origin then its a waste of time. SA v VIc at Adelaide Oval would def sell out.

Would prefer to have all profits from Round 1 or auctioned items donated to the cause.

Unless its pure Origin then its a waste of time. SA v VIc at Adelaide Oval would def sell out.

Would prefer to have all profits from Round 1 or auctioned items donated to the cause.

No harm in having an additional friendly game to raise what would undoubtedly be millions for bushfire relief.

Auctioning off items wouldn't generate much. Even something as venerated as Shane Warne's baggy green 'only' sold for $1m - what items do you think the AFL and clubs could auction off?

Could a South Australian possibly post what they think the South Australian State of Origin team would be?

It wouldn't be the most amazing team in the world but something along the lines of...

B: Jonas, Hurn, Milera
HB: Laird, Davis, Hartlett
C: Burton, Redden, Polec
HF: Wingard, Westhoff, Edwards
F: Betts, Lycett, Fantasia
R: Grundy, Neale, Hewett

I/C: Burgoyne, Daniel, Dumont, Smith

There's not a huge amount of walk-up-starts in there really

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It wouldn't be the most amazing team in the world but something along the lines of...

C: Burton, Redden, Polec
HF: Wingard, Westhoff, Edwards
F: Betts, Lycett, Fantasia
R: Grundy, Neale, Hewett

I/C: Burgoyne, Daniel, Dumont, Smith

There's not a huge amount of walk-up-starts in there really

Thanks. Though I might include Hayward instead of Betts, though it would be a tough call.

I honestly wonder which team would win out of

B: Rampe, Howard, Williams
HB: Suckling, Davis, Cunningham
C: Smith, Mills, Steele
HF: M.Kennedy, Walker, Hopper
F: Bruce, Hawkins, Breust
FOLL: Witts, Henney, Miles
I/C: Howe, Townsend, Setterfield, H.Himmelberg

Emergencies - Macreadie, Finlayson, Langford, Blakey

and