News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about the WAFL but the VFL players are part time, no chance the club's over here could afford to make even one trip let alone multiple

Same as the VFL, it's not fully professional. The Beagles were one kick away from prelim finals in their first year which gives you a rough idea of the standard of football in the WAFL nowadays.

It wouldn't be the most amazing team in the world but something along the lines of...

B: Jonas, Hurn, Milera
HB: Laird, Davis, Hartlett
C: Burton, Redden, Polec
HF: Wingard, Westhoff, Edwards
F: Betts, Lycett, Fantasia
R: Grundy, Neale, Hewett

I/C: Burgoyne, Daniel, Dumont, Smith

There's not a huge amount of walk-up-starts in there really
How the mighty have fallen. A long way from the days of Kernahan, Wanganeen, Ricciuto, Jarman, Rehn, Platten, Modra and Hart

How the mighty have fallen. A long way from the days of Kernahan, Wanganeen, Ricciuto, Jarman, Rehn, Platten, Modra and Hart
It's what happens when the AFL ignores heartland states (barring Victoria of course) & state leagues focus more on AFL rejects than developing talent.

It's what happens when the AFL ignores heartland states (barring Victoria of course) & state leagues focus more on AFL rejects than developing talent.

Western Australia if asked to pick a State of Origin side would field quite a line up.

South Australia is also experiencing negative population growth while WA keeps growing. That in itself would be a significant factor.

Western Australia if asked to pick a State of Origin side would field quite a line up.

South Australia is also experiencing negative population growth while WA keeps growing. That in itself would be a significant factor.
I don't think so really the population was lower & participation rates lower in the days of yore
all you need is five top echelon players & a good spread really in a SoO situation inferior SA & WA teams on paper have flogged the Vics on occasion in the past.
WA at the moment has good top end talent but take away a few with injury or whatever & it's not that fantastic imo.

I don't think so really the population was lower & participation rates lower in the days of yore
all you need is five top echelon players & a good spread really in a SoO situation inferior SA & WA teams on paper have flogged the Vics on occasion in the past.
WA at the moment has good top end talent but take away a few with injury or whatever & it's not that fantastic imo.

The population was lower in total but compared to other States, SA had a higher percentage of the total population of Australia back then. Participation rates are lower these days because of the rise of the international sports like basketball and soccer taking up more talented youth.

But anyway it tends to be cyclical, however I do think SA may be perpetually third tier because it's not as important or influential as it once was in the AFL.

The population was lower in total but compared to other States, SA had a higher percentage of the total population of Australia back then. Participation rates are lower these days because of the rise of the international sports like basketball and soccer taking up more talented youth.

But anyway it tends to be cyclical, however I do think SA may be perpetually third tier because it's not as important or influential as it once was in the AFL.
You may be right but on the cyclical thing if Rozee, Lukosius, Rankine among others take the steps expected an SA origin side suddenly looks a lot better in a few years.
Anyway I think Origin is dead this exhibition game would've been better as an All-Star game east vs west or something more fitting of a bruise free encounter.

It wouldn't be the most amazing team in the world but something along the lines of...

B: Jonas, Hurn, Milera
HB: Laird, Davis, Hartlett
C: Burton, Redden, Polec
HF: Wingard, Westhoff, Edwards
F: Betts, Lycett, Fantasia
R: Grundy, Neale, Hewett

I/C: Burgoyne, Daniel, Dumont, Smith

There's not a huge amount of walk-up-starts in there really

I am punting that Hurn wouldn't be fullback.

Fairly sure it is 3 minimum available each club and at most 5 playing from any single club. Heard that before the official announcement.
gold Coast will make three available but probably only David Swallow will be picked and play. West Coast will be the other extreme of Tim Kelly,, Josh Kennedy, Shuey, Yeo and Jeremy McGovern will probably take part and Nick Nat will not be available even if he wants to play because no more than 5 from any club. Also given Gawn and Grundy will rick for both asides, he would be surplus to needs and given his history of injuries the conservative side of being not side of not being made available is probably the likely outcome.Gaff will also probably miss being available due to already have 5 taking part.

I thought McGovern was borderline atm to play in round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WAFL played the SANFL in 2018 so obviously you didn't care.
They played more recently than that, but obviously you don't care.

We used to have something like that not too long ago. Also support it but I guess the obstacle is getting WAFL, VFL, SANFL, NEAFL etc all to agree.
Yeah don't get me wrong, there are definitely limitations, but it would also give the leagues an opportunity for greater 'bragging rights' and exposure on a national stage. Could be run in different states over the course of the year. eg SA vs WA and Vic vs Allies in late Feb, with the winners playing off in the AFL bye round before finals...

I'd rather watch the best players from the 2nd tier leagues represent their state in a true SOO carnival that is spaced throughout the year.
The state leagues do play each other, though not in a carnival format or under origin rules - and AFL listed players have been excluded ever since the VFL started including AFL reserve players.
Australians, for the most, just won't watch anything below the top regularly available tier. Whether that's the SANFL, Sheffield Shield, Queensland Cup (RL) or whatever else. You could argue the BBL is an exception, but international T20s aren't all that regular.

Will be a free wheeling high scoring game, worth watching to see how the game should be played!
Should be played? I wouldn't say that, I can't see players fully committing to the contest, there will probably be a bit of an understanding that its an exhibition and self preservation.

Not sure about SA, but I assume it's much the same as WA. State organisations run development (and everything else within the state) with funds extracted from the AFL clubs and directly from the AFL.

The insult is to name it a state of origin match when it clearly isn't. It's a fantastic idea to raise funds for such a disaster but don't insult the football public outside of Victoria by parading it as the return of state of origin. Call a spade a spade and people wouldn't be so irritated by it. It's a charity all star event.
Insult? SOO isn't even a live concept. Who is it an insult to?

It's sort of a state of origin v the rest. It's called what it is for marketing purposes. The game is played in Vic. It it gets a few more through the gate for the cause then what harm is there? It involves a Vic SOO team of sorts albeit bastardised by selection limitations. That was the case for most of the SOO existence anyway. Jeff Dunn as the token Saints player, Dunstall playing for Victoria - it was rarely a real best v best SOO game anyway.

Calling it something it isn't when it rarely ever was anyway is hardly a leap. Making it a real one game SOO match rules out a large number of the players who might want to participate. Who cares how it's marketed.

Apparently WA players should be excluded because apparently no fires here.

I'll be more than happy if our players gave this a miss.

Shouldn't need an exhibition game to feel compelled to donate anyway, you either do or don't.

Only hardcore bogans still think that state vs state is an actual thing. Younger people (who drink/eat more than beer and sausages) these days actually enjoy travelling around the country and meeting new people. It’s 2020, just donate the money and move on. Dangerfield will be super-excited for the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back