News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

Surely it should just be East vs. West?

WA, SA and NT versus Vic, Q'land, NSW and Tassie.
Or North vs. South - Vic, S.A., Tassie versus WA, NT, NSW nd Q'land.

Let's be honest, the day the All Stars were introduced, was the day State of Origin died forever.

If you're not going to genuinely do SoO, then can the Big V nonsense and just do a genuine 'best of the best' game.

Problem is that Vic produces over half the AFL players already, so Vic Vs the rest is actually slightly weighted against 'the rest' in terms of raw number of potential players.

Making it Vic+other states would swing that even further.

If we want to do away with Vic as a team, and retain roughly even numbers, then really you need to do away with selection based on states entirely.

(Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just that a team of Vic+others isn't a great option).

Picking squads is tough with the only 3 players from each team allowed to participate

AdelaideBrisbaneCarltonCollingwoodEssFreo
B CrouchVicL NealeAll StarsP CrippsAll StarsB GrundyAll StarsJ DaniherVicN FyfeAll Stars
R LairdAll StarsD ZorkoAll StarsM MurphyVicJ DegoeyVicO FantasiaAll StarsS HillAll Stars
B SmithAll StarsC CameronAll StarsS WalshVicS PendelburyVicM HurleyVicR LobbAll Stars
GeelongGold CoastGWSHawksMelNorth
P DangerfieldVicZac SmithAll StarsP DavisAll StarsT MitchellAll StarsJ LeverVicB CunningtonVic
J SelwoodVicSam DayAll StartsJ CameronVicL breustAll StarsM gawnVicB BrownAll Stars
T HawkinsVicJ LukosiusAll StarsH himmelbergAll StarsJ OmearaAll StarsJ VineyAll StarsT GoldsteinVic
PortRichmondSt KildaSydneyWest CoastBulldogs
R GrayVicD MartinVicL dunstanAll StarsI HeeneyAll StarsN NatanuiAll StarsM BontempelliVic
T BoakVicT CotchinVicB HillAll StarsJ kennedyVicJ kennedyVicM SucklingAll Stars
C RozeeAll StarsT LynchVicJ GearyVicL franklinAll StarsS HurnAll StarsJ bruceAll Stars

View attachment 806027

Vic has 5 key forwards...

All good players, but I can't see them lining up together.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Problem is that Vic produces over half the AFL players already, so Vic Vs the rest is actually slightly weighted against 'the rest' in terms of raw number of potential players.

Making it Vic+other states would swing that even further.

If we want to do away with Vic as a team, and retain roughly even numbers, then really you need to do away with selection based on states entirely.

(Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just that a team of Vic+others isn't a great option).
Why?

It's an exhibition match. It doesn't mean anything, and doesn't need to be fair in any way. There's nothing at stake except for personal pride for the players involved.

It's designed to put the best 44 players on the planet on the same ground at the same time.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Why?

It's an exhibition match. It doesn't mean anything, and doesn't need to be fair in any way. There's nothing at stake except for personal pride for the players involved.

It's designed to put the best 44 players on the planet on the same ground at the same time.
You want it to be a close, even match, with as many of the best players playing as possible. The best way to do that is either team captains choosing teams or Vics vs the rest.

Seeing as it's a fundraiser for (mainly) Victorian bushfire relief, the 2nd option makes the most sense.

Feb 24, 2008
New South Wales
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters
For the negative people not getting the purpose of the match- have a look at what the tennis did tonight. Raised almost five million dollars. Much more than if a couple of the players had've just donated a lump sum or if tennis Australia had.

Ticket sales- donations during the match. AFL should be able to raise a substantial amount.

Looking forward to this.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Picking squads is tough with the only 3 players from each team allowed to participate

AdelaideBrisbaneCarltonCollingwoodEssFreo
B CrouchVicL NealeAll StarsP CrippsAll StarsB GrundyAll StarsJ DaniherVicN FyfeAll Stars
R LairdAll StarsD ZorkoAll StarsM MurphyVicJ DegoeyVicO FantasiaAll StarsS HillAll Stars
B SmithAll StarsC CameronAll StarsS WalshVicS PendelburyVicM HurleyVicR LobbAll Stars
GeelongGold CoastGWSHawksMelNorth
P DangerfieldVicZac SmithAll StarsP DavisAll StarsT MitchellAll StarsJ LeverVicB CunningtonVic
J SelwoodVicSam DayAll StartsJ CameronVicL breustAll StarsM gawnVicB BrownAll Stars
T HawkinsVicJ LukosiusAll StarsH himmelbergAll StarsJ OmearaAll StarsJ VineyAll StarsT GoldsteinVic
PortRichmondSt KildaSydneyWest CoastBulldogs
R GrayVicD MartinVicL dunstanAll StarsI HeeneyAll StarsN NatanuiAll StarsM BontempelliVic
T BoakVicT CotchinVicB HillAll StarsJ kennedyVicJ kennedyVicM SucklingAll Stars
C RozeeAll StarsT LynchVicJ GearyVicL franklinAll StarsS HurnAll StarsJ bruceAll Stars

View attachment 806027

Tom Hawkins is from NSW so can replace Buddy (injured) in your All Star team.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Article on AFL website today has me raising my eyebrows...

"All funds raised from the match will support the Community Relief Fund that has been set up by the AFL to help rebuild local football facilities torn apart by the national bushfire crisis. "

errr... what?

Hopefully I'm not being naive here but was there any football facilities physically burnt down in these fires?

Shouldn't the money raised just go to the bushfire relief in general? Do people who've lost everything really want new lighting installed at their footy ground right now?

Tennis Australia just raised $5M to the bushfire relief and that's not been earmarked to rebuild tennis clubs...

If there's a number of footy clubs who've been burnt down hopefully we get some insight into them during the telecast so people know what they're donating too.

If it's just a vague donation to an AFL made charity then I'm doubting they'll get many donations (AFL spend money on grass roots anyway..)

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

"All funds raised from the match will support the Community Relief Fund that has been set up by the AFL to help rebuild local football facilities torn apart by the national bushfire crisis. "

errr... what?

Hopefully I'm not being naive here but was there any football facilities physically burnt down in these fires?

Shouldn't the money raised just go to the bushfire relief in general? Do people who've lost everything really want new lighting installed at their footy ground right now?

Tennis Australia just raised $5M to the bushfire relief and that's not been earmarked to rebuild tennis clubs...

If there's a number of footy clubs who've been burnt down hopefully we get some insight into them during the telecast so people know what they're donating too.

If it's just a vague donation to an AFL made charity then I'm doubting they'll get many donations (AFL spend money on grass roots anyway..)

The league did the same thing during the last bushfires and the Victorian floods a few years ago.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/01/15/afl-reveals-how-state-of-origin-game-teams-will-be-picked/

AFL clubs will have to nominate eight players available for selection for the upcoming State of Origin bushfire relief match.

As part of the Victoria versus All Stars clash on February 28th at Marvel Stadium, clubs must put four players per team forward ahead of the teams being named on Tuesday, February 18th.

Damien Hardwick (Victoria) and John Longmire (All Stars) will then select their squads of 27, from the pool of eligible players.

Both teams will have six players on the bench and three emergencies.

A maximum of three players per AFL club remains the limit to feature across the two playing lists.

Clubs having the power likely means they will take the conservative approach with players who are either injured or making their returns from serious injuries like Lance Franklin, Tom Mitchell and Sam Docherty.

Once selected, the teams will train at Marvel Stadium on Thursday, February 27th.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/01/15/afl-reveals-how-state-of-origin-game-teams-will-be-picked/

AFL clubs will have to nominate eight players available for selection for the upcoming State of Origin bushfire relief match.

As part of the Victoria versus All Stars clash on February 28th at Marvel Stadium, clubs must put four players per team forward ahead of the teams being named on Tuesday, February 18th.

Damien Hardwick (Victoria) and John Longmire (All Stars) will then select their squads of 27, from the pool of eligible players.

Both teams will have six players on the bench and three emergencies.

A maximum of three players per AFL club remains the limit to feature across the two playing lists.

Clubs having the power likely means they will take the conservative approach with players who are either injured or making their returns from serious injuries like Lance Franklin, Tom Mitchell and Sam Docherty.

Once selected, the teams will train at Marvel Stadium on Thursday, February 27th.

I’ve read this article ... I’m still wondering who the 8 players nominated per club are & how the 3 per club will be split between the 2 teams

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve read this article ... I’m still wondering who the 8 players nominated per club are & how the 3 per club will be split between the 2 teams

I would imagine Longmire and Hardwick will pick their best 27 and then compare and see where there's any clashes. Then negotiate from there to make sure the 'best' players get the nod first.

Hopefully they don't make it like an informal draft because they could get to the end and embarrassingly unable to pick elite players due to the 3cap rule.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Official logo:
1579154756906.png

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
we have sense of worth.. we have a sense of time.. we have a sense of being in the right place at the right time... and
something we have is nothing more than being a Victorian.. no really.. we do have...

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If they weren't going to go full SoO I'd have liked a few More rules selection wise. Minimum 2, max 3 from each club formin 2x 25 teams.

Something like this would be drawn up

All-Stars:
B: May, Hamling, Rampe
HB: Howe, McGovern, Yeo
C: B.Hill, Fyfe, T.Kelly
HF: Heeney, T.Walker, Rozee
F: C.Cameron, Brown, Breust
Foll: Grundy, Neale, Cripps
Bench: Swallow, Witts, Zorko, Coniglio, O'Meara, Darling

Victoria:
B: Grimes, Blicavs, Simpson
HB: Whitfield, Talia, Saad
C: Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Bontempelli
HF: Dunkley, Lynch, Ziebell
F: Gresham, J.Cameron, Gunston
Foll: Gawn, Oliver, Martin
Bench: Shiel, Goldstein, Billings, Boak, R.Gray, Parker, Macrae

Tried to include club captains, figured they'd be a good shot at having a go. However 2-3 from each club means some miss out. Wasn't trying to pick the top 50 in the comp, just balanced sides where each team has a couple of players picked.

Tried where possible to have players I know are injury affected/slow preseasons, old, managed etc to no be included to make it a realistic effort.

errr... what?

Couldn't give a flying * about footy grounds. People's homes have burned down, the money should go where it's best spent.

NorthernBastard

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Not actually Richmond
Community sports facilities are the lifeblood of country towns, great move. Most people are insured for their homes, so they will be rebuilt.

Back