News Update: Confirmed - Victoria v Allstars, February 28th, Marvel Stadium, broadcast on 7 & Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

Official game day thread for the Vic v All-Stars match:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Community sports facilities are the lifeblood of country towns, great move. Most people are insured for their homes, so they will be rebuilt.
No mate, most people do not have their home insured. And a significant number are underinsure but back on topic...

Seriously, why the frack is May popping up in teams for the All Stars? Vic supporters wanting the All Stars to lose? He's been shite, doesn't deserve a spot.

No mate, most people do not have their home insured. And a significant number are underinsure but back on topic...

Seriously, why the frack is May popping up in teams for the All Stars? Vic supporters wanting the All Stars to lose? He's been shite, doesn't deserve a spot.

These things always have people selecting names

honestly, if we have Ablett, Dangerfield Fyfe etc as the midfield, who are self confessed one way runners to some extent, you could pick a midfield which would crunch them

Shouldn't need an exhibition game to feel compelled to donate anyway, you either do or don't.
Pretty true, anyone that wants to has had 1000 different ways to do it, but once the general public move on, this might be a way to get some more dollars for the cause after the fact and when donations have slowed. People won't donate again and again, but they might be willing to pay to watch a footy game.

He was born in NSW but played his junior footy in the TAC Cup for Sandingham.

He didn’t play his junior footy in the TAC Cup for Sandringham.

The TAC Cup isn’t junior football....

He played representative underage football for Sandringham because he was a border at Melbourne Grammar.

Just like Jacob Hopper didn’t play his junior football for North Ballarat. He only played representative football there because he was bording at St Pats Ballarat. Just like Daniel Rioli as well...

Cyril Rioli wasn’t eligible for Victoria because he played at and bordered at Scotch College...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would work once every 4-5 years in a rest year from international rules perhaps

Look at big bash, the novelty has worn off and results mean very little = crowds down

Awesome, let's schedule a Marsh series game on at the same time as a one off State of Originish game.
Could of put the Marsh game on a saturday or sunday to leave Friday free for the "Special" game.

Awesome, let's schedule a Marsh series game on at the same time as a one off State of Originish game.
Could of put the Marsh game on a saturday or sunday to leave Friday free for the "Special" game.
that Essendon v WC match meant to be on the Friday has been moved to the Thursday night

Where was that?
Would sellout in Tassie. Do well in Darwin or any other market that doesn't get many games.
Brisbane.
Its hard to see it selling out anywhere. Why would anyone get behind "not Victoria"? Useless waste of time. I loved Origin; even if NSW/ACT and Qld/NT combinations bastardised it before Allies; but All-Stars is not representing anything except the ego of some Victorians.
For this game, fine, but its an exhibition fund-raiser; its not SoO.

Last edited:
So I've had a crack at selecting these teams which probably won't end up anything like what they'll be. Had difficulty fulfilling the criteria for some teams to provide so many players for a particular squad's initial 72 (Eagles, Suns, Hawks and Dockers for Victoria, Port and Melbourne for All Stars the trio I found most challenging to find 4 eligible players realistically in contention, Eagles All Stars hardest to find players to leave out of the 72). A few players then have been left out due to both picking a proper team as opposed to best players and remembering the 3 player per club rule after picking the 72's for both clubs (it proved to be an issue with the Victorian defence in particular). Some players like Buddy haven't been considered with injury.

I've also tinkered with traditions in going with a contemporary way of announcing the teams. Instead of Backs, Half Backs, Forwards and Half Forwards I've gone with Back 6 and Forward 6, with the player in ITALICS the designated player to start in the goal square. I've also split the midfield into Wings, Ruckman and Middle 3. When I was coaching that's how I referred my positions because in reality positional play apart from the designated positions required by rule is dead.

VICTORIA
BACK 6:
Geary, Hurley, Frawley, Sidebottom, Tarrant, Lloyd (SYD)

WINGS: Gaff, Sloane
RUCK: Gawn
MIDDLE 3: Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Martin (RICH)

FORWARD 6: Greene, C.Curnow (basically last man standing, play as a decoy with so many mids able to play forward), R.Gray, Ablett, Lynch (RICH), Boak

INTERCHANGE: Bontempelli, Macrae, Merrett, Blicavs (covering key back and ruck), Kelly (GWS), Oliver

EM: Billings, Miller, Ziebell

[Other players to make the 72: Brayshaw (FREO, and no it wasn't because it would be too strange to have him and Gaff on the same team, more because of a lack of Fremantle eligible Victorians), Ainsworth (GC), Cunnington, King (GC), McEvoy, B.Crouch, M.Crouch, Fiorini, Sinclair, McStay, Gardiner, Moore, Tucker, Mundy, Grimes (RICH), Heppell, E.Curnow, McCluggage, Gunston, Petrucelle, Viney (apparently qualifies as a Victorian), Carlisle, Lever, Stringer, Cameron (GWS, another option to play forward if you want to leave out J.Kelly), Selwood, De Goey, Dunkley (DOGS), Kennedy (SYD), Hunter, Whitfield, Parker, Ryan (FREO), Murphy, Vardy, Wines, Henderson, Atkins, Walsh (he'd be the player in for C.Curnow if Victoria want to go with either Danger or Dusty from the square to start pushing out Lynch), Ross, Martin (BRIS), Goldstein, Rockliff (I thought he was Tasmanian?), Cotchin, Schofield]

ALL STARS
BACK 6:
Rampe, Andrews, Burgoyne, Smith (ADEL), McGovern (WC), Laird

WINGS: Kelly (WC), Coniglio
RUCK: Grundy
MIDDLE 3: Fyfe, Cripps, Neale

FORWARD 6: Zorko, Riewoldt, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Sexton, Brown (NORTH), Walters

INTERCHANGE: Heeney, Mitchell (HAW), Naughton, S.Hill, B.Hill, Westhoff

EM: Swallow, Jetta, Jones (CARL)

[Other Players to make the 72: Vandenberg, Preuss, Hooker, Daniel, Mills, Wingard (if Mitchell is ruled out through injury he's the next in), Cameron (BRIS), Mayne, Rozee (possible if you want to go smaller to replace the Hoff), McKenna, Rioli (RICH, if either Victorian tiger was ruled out then he'd probably be in ahead of Walla, putting Heppell into the Vic team), Howard, Hartlett, Taylor (GEEL), Steele, Hopper (had him as NSW eligible), O'Meara, Witts, Johannisen, Anderson (NORTH), Finlayson, Kennedy (WC), Thomas (COLL), Weller, L.Brown (ADEL), Dunstan (in contention to replace B.Hill), Williams (NORTH), Cox (COLL), Duncan, McGovern (CARL), Wilson, Naitanui (only way he plays is if Andrew Gaff gets ruled out, then Nic Nat would have to replace Westhoff and Wines would play for Victoria), Blakey, Fantasia, Davis (GWS), Burton, Lloyd (DOGS), Petrevski-Seton, Edwards, May, Walker (ADEL), Nankervis, Hawkins, Dumont, Tuohy]

Will this game be given official status as a first grade game of football, as was the 2008 state game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back