Podcast UPDATE: Praise the lord, the Trade Period is over. BF Lions Podcast - all episodes

Remove this Banner Ad

New episode with Michael Whiting!

Listen on iTunes!

AFL.com.au's Queensland reporter Mike Whiting joins us to talk about the storylines surrounding Brisbane this year, including: Josh Schache's contract, Tom Rockliff, Chris Fagan, Tayla Harris, the training facility and more

Click here for audio link!

Great podcast guys! Good to have Mike on. He's a good bloke.

Thanks again spock18 great stuff. For those who are time poor, Whiting on.

Schache- He hasn't heard anything around the club although Josh will get big offers from other clubs that the Lions wont be able to match.
Rockliff- Tom has been really good and has settled into his role. If the club can show him that we have a clear pathway to success I think he will stay.
Fagan- He is really super impressive, I have spoken to a lot of players and they love him, the type of thing they say is he listens, is a teacher/feedback/clear messaging/he cares.
Admin/Training base- Springfield is very close. Travel not an issue.

Thanks again spock18 great stuff. For those who are time poor, Whiting on.

Schache- He hasn't heard anything around the club although Josh will get big offers from other clubs that the Lions wont be able to match.
Rockliff- Tom has been really good and has settled into his role. If the club can show him that we have a clear pathway to success I think he will stay.
Fagan- He is really super impressive, I have spoken to a lot of players and they love him, the type of thing they say is he listens, is a teacher/feedback/clear messaging/he cares.
Admin/Training base- Springfield is very close. Travel not an issue.
Jason pm, here is some feedback from what I hear around the place:
Schache- No doubt Josh will be offered bigger $ than what he will be offered at Brisbane. Taking into account that he is homesick, not really fitted in as well as you would expect a player to, IMO he is going to leave although I am hopeful that the club would be a chance to sign him for a 2 year extension. (maybe wishful thinking on my part)
Rocky- Been brilliant this season thus far and has significantly enjoyed his year better than other years. Would definitely consider re-signing providing the offer is attractive to him compared to what's out there for him. Loves the Fagan/Noble combo and the way the club is headed. (other than losing each week)
Fagan- Players love him and the way he coach's. Gets personal with every individual player and provides feedback on what they need to do to continue to become a better player...something they didn't get much of prior to Fagan coming on board. Not only is he a good coach, he is also a good reason for the players to want to stay at Brisbane rather than looking outside.
Springfield: A done deal. Waiting for the pen to go to paper. Players are not phased about a 1/2 hour drive and are more excited about a first class facility to help them become better footballers. The bullshite about weights weighing the same no matter where they are is so far away from the truth its ridiculous. The Gabba is the worst facility in the comp. Weight room is too small, players regularly cue up to use some of the machines & a lot of the weight machines were built & designed pre 2000. Technology has come a long way since 2000. There are many new weight machine designs to help build muscle quicker & more efficiently. We wont have them until we get away from the Gabba dungeon.

New episode with Nick Robertson!

Listen on iTunes!

Heads rolled at match committee this week - OUT: Ollie, IN: Robertson! Nick Robbo talks about his season, the roles he's playing, continuity in the seniors, Chris Fagan and more.

Note: Shorter pod than usual due to Ollie being away.

Thanks Robbo18! for setting this up.

Listen on iTunes!

Heads rolled at match committee this week - OUT: Ollie, IN: Robertson! Nick Robbo talks about his season, the roles he's playing, continuity in the seniors, Chris Fagan and more.

Great stuff. Well done & appreciated.

Listen on iTunes!

Awesome! Looking forward to listening on the trainride home.

Great interview, I had never heard Nick Robertson in an extended interview before, he was impressive, measured and full of positivity. Would love to hear that he has signed a new contract, give him another 3 years, I think he has earned it. He probably already is a bit of a leader but he has future leadership group written all over him.

Great interview, I had never heard Nick Robertson in an extended interview before, he was impressive, measured and full of positivity. Would love to hear that he has signed a new contract, give him another 3 years, I think he has earned it. He probably already is a bit of a leader but he has future leadership group written all over him.
Yeah guys like Nick make me optimistic about the future. Need to bottle his attitude and IV-drip it to the rest of the group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Celebrate a massive week of good news with the pod!

Listen on iTunes

This week we are up and about after a big win over the Dockers! We talk about the things we did well, the standout individual efforts and the impact the bye had. The Josh Schache news also gets a big run - we discuss the ramifications for the club, review the saga in its entirety and his manager's influence.

Click here for audio link

Zac O'Brien I think was the name you're searching for.

We worked that out this morning!

For those interested this was the article about Josh we referenced too - http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/885b4b2863e11c50b72371dae9dc9af4

BRISBANE are prepared to offer top draft pick Josh Schache a five year deal before he has played a senior game.

They are also confident they are close to finalising a new long-term deal for vice-captain Dayne Zorko that will see him finish his career as a Lion.

Lions football manager Matthew Francis, welfare boss Craig Lambert and list manager Peter Schwab are in Melbourne this week meeting with player managers.

They have already met with Zorko’s new manager Tom Petroro and Alex McDonald who looks after No. 2 draft pick Schache.

The meeting with Petroro as a sign some of the troubles the club faced last season may now be behind them.

Brisbane appears to be a far more settled and happy environment this pre-season.

Zorko was a central figure in rumours of unrest at the club last season. Although the Lions insisted he had not fallen out with either his captain Tom Rockliff or his coach Justin Leppitsch — there was acknowledgment he had been upset at times during the turbulent season.

His manager at the time Adam Hall was quoted saying he was in no rush to begin contract talks and would likely hold off until well into 2016.

Stride boss Tom Petroro has taken over Zorko’s affairs and immediately opened talks with the club.

Petroro was not prepared to provide any commentary on contract negotiations when contacted by The Courier-Mail.

But the Lions confirmed an offer was already on the table and the feedback was that Zorko was keen to get the deal done.

Lions CEO Greg Swann said the deal would be for either three or four years.

“We’ve made an offer and we are hoping he will accept it,’’ he said. The Lions also met with Schache’s management yesterday.

Francis said the two parties were not at a stage where remuneration or the length of the contract had been offered and said the meeting was the first the club had held with McDonald since Schache was drafted.

But Swann said it was Brisbane’s intention to try to lock the key forward away on a long-term deal.

It is unusual for a draftee to be given such a long contract, especially before they have played a game.

However the Suns did it with young West Australian Jack Martin who is about to enter his second season and is set to be a star of the competition.

“We are happy to do longer terms and obviously we want him to be around for a long time, the problem is how you determine what his worth is in year three, four, or five,’’ Swann said.

“That is what has to be negotiated.’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back