Updated Club Song

Pick one

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed they couldn't fit club legend Chris Marsden getting caught HTB into the video somewhere

The whole sound of the video inspires me to hang out with my uni student mates like squashface and have a couple of non alcoholic beers by the foreshore.

Good times, good vibes, respect each other, HECS fees, safe sex, pill testing and inclusiveness for all :beercheers::rainbow:

Last edited:
I think there’s two schools of thought on it and they’re clashing in the thread.

The song itself is fine. It’s a decent piece of audio. The clapping sticks and didgeridoo are great, old mate Birds of Tokyo is a great singer so the vocals sound good. Fine enough piece of audio.

But it’s not a footy song. Footy songs are defiant, punchy, they’re for 22 people to scream at eachother after pulling out a famous victory. Footy songs are a “fu** you, we won” war cry. A game winning goal after the siren should be greeted with screaming of syllables and the occasional “wooooo”.

Do we seriously think Luke Shuey is going to lead the boys in the nice long held sounds of “booooooooooooornnnnnn is priiiiiiiiiiiiide, from iiiiiiisooolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatiooooooooon.”

As a song? No issues. Interesting take on the traditional Eagles tune.

As a club song though? Nah. Just...nah.
I guess we will see what the boys like singing after a few wins. If they revert back, guess it is not a winner.

I think there’s two schools of thought on it and they’re clashing in the thread.

The song itself is fine. It’s a decent piece of audio. The clapping sticks and didgeridoo are great, old mate Birds of Tokyo is a great singer so the vocals sound good. Fine enough piece of audio.

But it’s not a footy song. Footy songs are defiant, punchy, they’re for 22 people to scream at eachother after pulling out a famous victory. Footy songs are a “fu** you, we won” war cry. A game winning goal after the siren should be greeted with screaming of syllables and the occasional “wooooo”.

Do we seriously think Luke Shuey is going to lead the boys in the nice long held sounds of “booooooooooooornnnnnn is priiiiiiiiiiiiide, from iiiiiiisooolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatiooooooooon.”

As a song? No issues. Interesting take on the traditional Eagles tune.

As a club song though? Nah. Just...nah.
That’s the thing - how many footy songs are song to the tune of the recording they play at the end of the game?

If you listen to the recording, Carlton easily have the worst song in the league by a country mile. It’s slow, monotone, depressing and boring.

When Carlton belt out their song after a win it’s incredible. The arrogance of the DA DA DA DA DAAAA! is second to none.

After a win they’ll sound exactly the same as they did last season.

HoneyBadger35 who knows WTF the players will sing after a win.
They have never sung the full song just an abridged version of it.
Last years the players instigated the preamble to the song .
So we will just have to wait and see what they come up with in the new version.

I would be very surprised if the leadership group were not in some way involved or at the very least were aware of the pending changes to the song.

It’s certainly not a heave ho piece of s**t that’s sung in places of unsavoury nature .

HoneyBadger35 who knows WTF the players will sing after a win.
They have never sung the full song just an abridged version of it.
Last years the players instigated the preamble to the song .
So we will just have to wait and see what they come up with in the new version.

I would be very surprised if the leadership group were not in some way involved or at the very least were aware of the pending changes to the song.

It’s certainly not a heave ho piece of s**t that’s sung in places of unsavoury nature .

If they’re singing the old version, which it looks like they are, then no issues. As I said, the audio in itself is fine, nice tune, swells up to the chorus, indigenous undertones are great. Happy to hear it played over the speakers, and then for the boys to belt out the old version.

Everything might be alright after all.

So the club is saying that the song and chant will not change from 2019, then what is this?

The official master of the track. The boys will sing the old one post game, but this is what they’re running out to and what we’ll hear when we lift up the Cup.

So the club is saying that the song and chant will not change from 2019, then what is this?
The first half of the song is exactly the same as it was lyrically. They’ve changed the tune, vocals and added more lyrics after the chorus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The official master of the track. The boys will sing the old one post game, but this is what they’re running out to and what we’ll hear when we lift up the Cup.
They said in the tweet "chant and song is the same as 2019" its not clear to me what that means. Song implies same tune to me but idk.

They said in the tweet "chant and song is the same as 2019" its not clear to me what that means. Song implies same tune to me but idk.
The chant is
‘Born is Pride
From isolation
Our fortress built
We cross the nation
Our colours share
The west coast sky
Our will to win won’t die’

they follow this with the ‘we’re the Eagles’ chorus in the rooms after the game. Exactly the same as last season

That was in response to “Will this now be sung after games or the version the players modified last year?”

So I assume whenever you hear the song through speakers or in any official capacity, it’s the new version, but when the team sing it in the rooms post win, it’s the familiar 2019 version.

Rubbish song.
As others said, its not a footy song. But when musicians entertainers were asked to help with it, you were always going to get some camp sh*t that has their personal take on it.

Of course, no matter how much we air our disapproval, it won't be scrapped. So just have to accept this s**t for the next 34 years.

That was in response to “Will this now be sung after games or the version the players modified last year?”

So I assume whenever you hear the song through speakers or in any official capacity, it’s the new version, but when the team sing it in the rooms post win, it’s the familiar 2019 version.

Yeah thats my take. So we have a new tune but same chant/lyrics to some degree. Well I dont like the tune but i'll take the win and ignore the rest.

Key points - club song
  1. Emanating from a review of our brand in 2017 (including the launch of the new logo and colours), playing at a new home venue in 2018 and then re-locating to our new home at Mineral Resources Park in 2019: the time was right to review the club song.
  2. A large number of members and fans have indicated in surveys that they felt the club should review the song, asking for something more “catchy” to which they can sing along.
  3. The lyrics of the current chorus - which are well known, much loved and respected as part of our history - have not changed.
  4. The club approached highly successful local musicians Ian Kenny and Ian Berney, passionate supporters of the club, to re-work the song to better tell the story of the essence of the West Coast Eagles.
  5. The club’s reworked song is written, composed and produced by Ian Berney, with Ian Kenny, lead singer from popular Australian bands Birds of Tokyo and Karnivool, delivering the vocals.
  6. Ian Berney is best known as the bass player of multi-platinum and ARIA award winning Australian band Birds of Tokyo. Born and raised in Perth, he has a strong connection to the West Coast way of life, in which sport plays an intrinsic part. An Eagles fan from childhood, the song brings together two of his biggest passions to create this new body of work has been a once-in-a-lifetime project.
  7. The West Coast Eagles players embraced stage one of this process with the introduction of the chant leading into the club song performed after winning games in 2019. That will continue through 2020 and beyond.
  8. The song will be played as the team enters the field during the 2020 season and after each victory.
  9. Its first match day exposure will come when the club’s AFLW team makes its debut against Collingwood at Victoria Park on February 9

7 & 8 the key points

It sucks, it sucks, it really sucks.

Why?

If we had to include some Indigenous cultural elements, why couldn't we just adjust what we had? The remade song we have had for the last couple of years has been fine.

Typical Nisbett, quick to change things that don't need changing (Ochre, Tripe panel), slow to change thing that need changing (wings). Did anyone actually ask for this?

Back