Updated Club Song

Pick one

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've found myself with this stuck in my head far more than I would have thought.

Unsure if it's because I enjoy it, or if I miss footy.

I hope they tweak the chorus to sound more like the original. After a win, chant the opening verse, belt out the original-sounding chorus, done and dusted.

No one will care about the rest of the song. Like the original second, third and fourth verses of Advance Australia Fair:

When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Til he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
"With all her faults we love her still"
"Britannia rules the wave."
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England soil and Fatherland,
Scotia and Erin fair,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair.
Advance Australia fair.

Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
Advance Australia fair.
I don't know if I've ever heard the rest of the anthem, or if I have I've wiped it from the memory bank.
*, that's tragic and more then a trifle embarrassing.

Give the song 1000 listens after playing AFL Evolution most days and it will grow on you in no time.

I'm at the point where i don't even blink when i hear it.

Pretty sure none of us would care which version is playing if it's blaring at the MCG (?) at night (?) on the 2nd last (?) Saturday (?) in October (?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the versus tbh but the chorus lacked that fire and passion such as "WE'RE THE BIIIIIIG BIRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS, KINGS OF THE BIIIIIG GAAAAAAAAAMES" that made the older songs much better. It's now more an actual song rather something to belt out when running onto the ground and winning the match.

Give the song 1000 listens after playing AFL Evolution most days and it will grow on you in no time.

I'm at the point where i don't even blink when i hear it.

Absolutely me. Didn’t like it at first. Slowly grew on me over a long period of time.

Post-AFL Evolution I now think yes, this is the song of triumph for when the good guys get up, preach it, love to hear it. God damn conditioning.

I like the idea they are trying. I was soooo worried for soooo long that we'd be stuck with that crap song that had lyrics for a two year old. Big birds. Big game. We're the Eagles. Flying high. That's it. Over and over and over and ...

Now they've started we need them to keep refining it.

I don't really like it either, but I like that they tried something different because I'm not real keen on the previous one either. Fine by me if they keep throwing something different at the wall every couple of years until something sticks.
(Bottom line though it's about as low as you can get on the importance list for me)

Back