Mod. Notice Updated Didaka Award 2012 - Post #26

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of you would have read about the sad passing of Collingwood poster didaka just after the last encounter between Collingwood and Carlton. I approached the Collingwood moderators at the time and canvassed the idea of Carlton moderators and potentially some posters, getting involved in honouring didaka in some way.

The idea was embraced by Pies mods as it highlights that some things transcend football and rivalries can also be built on respect. It was decided that an award in which we, their most fierce rival, look for quality posting from Collingwood posters in the week leading up to our next clash, and annually thereafter.

Didaka was known for being articulate, passionate and constructive in his opinions, so an award for a fellow Collingwood supporter who displays these same attributes, might be considered an honour.

The idea is that posters can PM us names and examples of quality posting from Collingwood supporters during this week, and we will decide on the winner and they will earn a Didaka badge to wear under their username for the next year.

This may serve to foster a sense of unity in the wider BigFooty community.

Of course, rivalry is rivalry and no doubt we will all let each know about it and neither of us would have it any other way.

To read Didaka's story, please take a look here:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455565

Also take a look at the work done by the Peter MacCullum Cancer Centre, and support the cause if possible.
http://www.petermac.org/

So in your travels around BF this week, nominate a Pies supporter if you see something you like, and a panel made up of at least 4 moderators and possibly a couple of invited posters, will make a choice from there.

Thanks

Re: 2011 Didaka Award

Hearing of Didaka's early passing really put things into perspective when I found out. At the end of the day, a football team (or the relationship between two football teams) means peanuts in the scheme of things.

Great initiative. :thumbsu:

Good stuff.

Do we just put nominations in this thread?

It won't be a popularity contest but we will not get to see everything. Pointing us in the right direction of some good content is a-ok with me.

Thanks for getting behind this initiative guys. It was amazing how hard the news of didakas passing hit everyone on our board. Someone most of us never met in person. The internet can be a faceless place at times but you develop relationships and develop community here. This is something we really want to promote is that sense of community and respect. The Carlton game was the last time didaka watched his beloved Pies so it's fitting we honour his memory and remember his story against the old foe.

Great idea for a great poster that Didaka was and it really puts things into perspective when a fellow well known poster passes on.

Hope this badge serves the winner well and it will be a deserved one at that and incidents/tragedies like this with lives taken far to young really hit home and make you realise just how short life can be.

I don't venture to the Collingwood board, but do value the efforts Knightmare puts forward on the Drafts board.

Took time out to read through the link you attached there ODN.
Had to take several deep gulps along the way until it really come to a head when Brent's girlfriend dropped the ultimate news.

If it hurt for having Collingwood to have won the Grand Final last year, you just can't help but to let out a little cheer for them to have brought some joy to someone in the position Didaka was.

Have to agree with Knightmare as a nominated poster, always remains impartial and maintains quality posting whilst answering any questions punctually. As Harks said, he's mostly seen on the D&T board but I always look out for his posts and ensure that I read them.

Great initiative guys, I read about Didaka a few months ago and it really touched me as I went through a similar experience with a family member.

Would like to nominate Gone Criminal,.

I know he supports the Pies but I believe it's Gone Critical.:D

But yeah, I'd like to second this nomination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a great initiative to honor someone who although I never read his posts, clearly was a well-respected poster who was a credit to the Collingwood board. I read of his passing when it happened, and though I had never heard of him or read one of his posts, I was amazed at how I was almost brought to tears reading that thread. It just goes to show how petty and insignificant a rivalry between two teams of guys kicking a hunk of leather around a paddock really is. RIP Didaka and best wishes to all the Collingwood posters, his family and friends.

I nominated a couple of Pies fans over on their board. If that was the wrong place, then I can copy and paste my post into this thread.

Just curious too - is it possible to deduct votes from the handful of morons on their board who actually believe that round 3 was called fairly and yesterdays game went all our way?

The race has been run and won for 2011.

The inaugural Didaka Medal winner is:

Gone Critical

Congrats to GC.

Feel free to head over to the Pies board and post your best wishes.

Came across this today and am surprised and humbled

Didaka was a poster who was always brave and fair with his views. I can remember 1st being aware of his illness when he posted some personal views in a thread about Jim Stynes. Was impressed at the time at his positive attitude in the face of major illness. I was buoyed by his enthusiasm and his desire not to be defined by the cancer that had attacked him. In that way he reminded me of the strength Jimmy Stynes obviously possesses

He was only young and clearly bravery cant get you past all adversaries. It was great that he got to cherish a Magpie flag

The Collingwood Carlton rivalry is the best in footy and I feel it has possibly just entered what may become one of the great eras between us. There should be plenty of opportunity for good posting between us all in the years ahead. I intend to be in it boots and all.

This is a great initiative by your board and I congratulate you on it. I am honoured to be named but really I think of it as a general recognition of good posting between rivals that Didaka was so capable of.

Look forward to locking horns with plenty of you in the future. Dont expect for a moment I have developed any affection or feeling for my most hated rival. Still there is not a board I would rather visit. Skirmishes with your greatest rival always have more meaning

As hard as it is to say and believe this there are more important things in life than the Collingwood Carlton rivalry. Didaka showed us this. So lets post with ferocity but with that in mind and remember a great posting man Didaka each time we get to battle it out

Vale Didaka

Came across this today and am surprised and humbled

Didaka was a poster who was always brave and fair with his views. I can remember 1st being aware of his illness when he posted some personal views in a thread about Jim Stynes. Was impressed at the time at his positive attitude in the face of major illness. I was buoyed by his enthusiasm and his desire not to be defined by the cancer that had attacked him. In that way he reminded me of the strength Jimmy Stynes obviously possesses

He was only young and clearly bravery cant get you past all adversaries. It was great that he got to cherish a Magpie flag

The Collingwood Carlton rivalry is the best in footy and I feel it has possibly just entered what may become one of the great eras between us. There should be plenty of opportunity for good posting between us all in the years ahead. I intend to be in it boots and all.

This is a great initiative by your board and I congratulate you on it. I am honoured to be named but really I think of it as a general recognition of good posting between rivals that Didaka was so capable of.

Look forward to locking horns with plenty of you in the future. Dont expect for a moment I have developed any affection or feeling for my most hated rival. Still there is not a board I would rather visit. Skirmishes with your greatest rival always have more meaning

As hard as it is to say and believe this there are more important things in life than the Collingwood Carlton rivalry. Didaka showed us this. So lets post with ferocity but with that in mind and remember a great posting man Didaka each time we get to battle it out

Vale Didaka

Vale Didaka

Now take your award and bugger off... Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries :p

Vale Didaka

Now take your award and bugger off... Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries :p

Always good to get kicked off the Carlton board the week after a win!!

Always good to get kicked off the Carlton board the week after a win!!

we got out the disinfectant to get rid of the elderberry smell after you left...

Hope we meet up again in the finals :D

Just reminded myself to look at the rivalry thread on the main board again to see what the other scum have been saying lately... imagine thinking that the Geebungs vs the Dawks 10 second rivalry can even match the glory that is the Carlton vs Collingwood rivalry :D

Vale Didaka

go away before I taunt you some more

We are awarding the Didaka Award for 2012 on the weekend. See the OP to be reminded what this is about.

Last year's award was later in the season due to the timing of Didaka's passing but we have considered whether to make it the Carlton home game every year or the early encounter each year. So that recipients can carry the badge through the season, the early season encounter is probably the way to go. Apologies to the inaugaral winner Gone Critical who has been shortchanged.

A thread recording winners will be kept and the badge the recipient gets for the season will link to that thread.

If posters have noticed Collingwood supporters posting in a manner befitting the qualities displayed by Didaka this week, feel free to give suggestions in this thread. We will use that and consultation with Carlton mods and Collingwood mods to determine a winner.

Remember as always the Peter Mac charity as outlined in the OP and given it's a Carlton home game, also consider The Richard Pratt Fellowships in Prostate Cancer, if you have any cash to donate.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/tabid/18002/Default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back