Remove this Banner Ad

Fb: Boyd Roberts Wood
HB: Murphy Morris JJ
C: Hunter Dahlhaus Macrae
HF: Smith Cordy Stringer
FF: Mclean Cloke Dickson
R: Boyd Bonti Libba

IC: Biggs Dunkley Picken Daniel

Crameri misses. Looks a fair way off it and no rush with him.

Suckling misses. Looked ok last night, but having watched the 2016 finals series back recently, there's no way I can leave Biggs out.

Jong misses. Dunkley's September heroics win him that spot instead.

Adams misses. Went small down back and we have Cordy who can swing back if need be.

I feel like English will be in for Cordy, just based off Bev's post match presser. Probably starting on the bench I imagine. I cant see Crameri missing either but no idea who I'd swap out for him.

I reckon Dunkley plays ever game this year too, pending fitness. He is such a weapon everywhere he plays. Very quickly becoming one of my favourites.

I reckon Dunkley plays ever game this year too, pending fitness. He is such a weapon everywhere he plays. Very quickly becoming one of my favourites.

His kicking seems to have got worse over the break.. With more competition for spots this part of his game needs to improve.. And quickly.

It seems certain that Campbell won't play and after watching English last night I can't see how he can play, he's just isn't ready physically. English was manhandled in the around the ground stoppages and without a third man up he's not going to be competitive.

Cordy and Boyd were able to play as the rucks for the majority of the prelim so they can definitely do it again in round one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Suckling misses. Looked ok last night, but having watched the 2016 finals series back recently, there's no way I can leave Biggs out.

Adams misses. Went small down back and we have Cordy who can swing back if need be.
Almost exactly the same as mine but I've got Crammers in for Dunks. Uncannily similar, even down to positions.

M.Boyd Roberts Wood
Murphy Morris JJ
Hunter Dahlhaus Macrae
Tobias Cloke Picken
Stringer T.Boyd Crameri

Spanish Bont Libba

Biggs/Suckling, Dunkley/Jong, Daniel, Smith

- If we don't have the balls to play Spanish (understandable), Cordy plays and Boyd is the number 1 ruck.
- Left Dickson out as we haven't heard anything about him this pre-season.
- Last JLT game to decide a few positions I think. I did my 50/50's up above, found it very difficult to eave Biggs out as he played every game last year and is part of what we are about in the way we play.
- Adams nowhere near my best 22, either is Collins. Big concern.

Last edited:
We need to remember that Bev's tweet was that English is "in the mix" not "in the team" for Rd 1. He was just talking him up in the context of our ruck injuries, not guaranteeing him a place. I don't know if he was any more specific in his presser but I think Cordy would give us more.

No doubting that English is a talent though - his time will come soon enough.

I wouldn't give up on Crameri yet either. Has a fantastic tank which he demonstrated again last night at times. He just lacks some touch at this stage which is understandable after not playing a game for 18 months. Like the whole squad, he should be a much better proposition in 3 weeks time. If not, I'd still expect him to be in the side before May.

Risky with only Toyd for ruck coverage Mr Fronk.
If English is not ready, can Jong play a backup decoy ruck role? Concede hitours, counter with around the ground mobility. Can mark, and jump. I know it won't be popular, but Toyd might need a chop-out, even for 5-7mins per quarter.

Next problem - who comes out for Jong...!
(Solved if Dicko has a niggle.)

i'm sniffing a round 1 debut for English. Boyd would have to do more ruck work than he did last night, but it seems a viable option. Boyd's actually our best match for Grundy anyway. Grundy seems to shove Rough around a bit

Looks perfect to me. Suckling incredibly stiff as he was one of our best last night but Biggs is a lock.

We need to remember that Bev's tweet was that English is "in the mix" not "in the team" for Rd 1. He was just talking him up in the context of our ruck injuries, not guaranteeing him a place. I don't know if he was any more specific in his presser but I think Cordy would give us more.

No doubting that English is a talent though - his time will come soon enough.

I wouldn't give up on Crameri yet either. Has a fantastic tank which he demonstrated again last night at times. He just lacks some touch at this stage which is understandable after not playing a game for 18 months. Like the whole squad, he should be a much better proposition in 3 weeks time. If not, I'd still expect him to be in the side before May.

The way I interpreted Bev's comments regarding English was that he thinks we may be forced into playing him due to the current situation.

When asked if English was in the mix I believe his direct quote was "he has to be."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks pretty right. Get the feeling Suckling and Crameri will play if Bev can find a way. Query on Dickson (fitness) and Biggs (less flexible than Suckling) for me.

Adams needs to improve 300 percent before he replaces Cordy.In the two games he has played so far ,he has seemed lost.Last years early form a distant memory.English" just play him".Who cares if he doesn't win a tap.An extra midfielder is lethal.

Unfortunately rucks haven't been this important for over a decade and we're in a bit of a pickle. On that basis, I see Cordy in the team (and frankly I think he plays most of the year) as a swing man capable of going forward, back or chopping out in the ruck. That doesn't rule English out, I think it's likely that we go in with one more tall than we'd like and we give Crameri a couple of weeks in the VFL.

tl;dr Fronk's team with possible, but unlikely, inclusion of English for Dickson (would've said Dunks but it's clear Dicko will be coming in underdone).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd have Crameri and English in over Cordy and Dunkley. Crammers is rusty but his gut running both ways is important.

I'm not quite ready to write Adams off yet. I wasn't that impressed last pre-season. Last NAB game he showed some improvement and blew our socks off in round 1.

Jong did some very nice things in the third quarter last night but need to see more.

Biggs plays every game this year too. Another that is severely underrated. He come across as a vanilla role player but he plays that role perfectly.

Not a criticism of Zaine, and I regularly remind people, especially St.Kilda supporters, that he is a premiership CHF.
I think he is a natural defender and those skills were crucial in last year's finals. I was hoping that Bevo could structure the forward line a different way and the next time Cordy plays in a premiership, he plays as a defender.
Testament to the genius of Beveridge that they won the flag with an unconventional forward line.

Biggs. Adams Wood
Murph Morris JJ
Hunter. Libba McRae
Stringer Cordy Daniel
Picken. Cloke Smith
Toyd. Bont Dahl

English Moyd McLean Dunkley

Emg Suckling Crameri Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back