Upgrade Foxtel IQ2 Cable to IQ4 Satellite

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you guys find to watch on Foxtel other than sport?
I don't find much to watch other than sport but there is the occasional movie and some decent programs on History and Lifestyle. Now and again they also have blockbuster series like Game of Thrones. In truth, I don't feel that it justifies the price but I don't like the other options for watching the footy at this stage. That may change but right now Foxtel is my best choice.

Yes you do. As previously stated, Foxtel are discontinuing cable so their latest products don't allow for it.
There was no mention of requiring satellite when I spoke to Telstra regarding NBN upgrade and a free IQ4. Being installed on 8Jan so I guess I’ll find out then.

Yes you do. As previously stated, Foxtel are discontinuing cable so their latest products don't allow for it.
Thanks, buddy.

So if I ask for a second box to put into another room, they will need to come and install the satellite because it won’t run on my current cable setup?

Thanks, buddy.

So if I ask for a second box to put into another room, they will need to come and install the satellite because it won’t run on my current cable setup?
I'm just chatting to Telstra/Foxtel now so will update you.

I don't find much to watch other than sport but there is the occasional movie and some decent programs on History and Lifestyle. Now and again they also have blockbuster series like Game of Thrones. In truth, I don't feel that it justifies the price but I don't like the other options for watching the footy at this stage. That may change but right now Foxtel is my best choice.
Lots of the places in which I dog-sit have Foxtel. I can find nothing to watch on the basic package channels but as you say the history and movie channels do provide options. And certainly in the footy season Foxtel is far superior to FTA footy.

Lots of the places in which I dog-sit have Foxtel. I can find nothing to watch on the basic package channels but as you say the history and movie channels do provide options. And certainly in the footy season Foxtel is far superior to FTA footy.
My new IQ4 has now been installed and after running the IQ2 for all this time I am quite impressed. It still doesn't give me everything I'd like to have but it's a big improvement. Happily, you can create a link to your favourite footy team and according to the installer guy it will record all of their games. That alone is a massive improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confirmed with them the IQ4 will still work when connected to the co-ax like an IQ2.

Interesting - I was told I needed a dish on the roof for IQ4 (I'm so over the very dated Foxtel interface).

Maybe the dish is necessary for 4K?.

Interesting - I was told I needed a dish on the roof for IQ4 (I'm so over the very dated Foxtel interface).

Maybe the dish is necessary for 4K?.
Well I'm not really sure but that was my understanding. I'm also not sure why you would want to stick with cable in the knowledge that it is being phased out anyway. I suppose for renters that might present another issue.

If you want to watch Foxtel in another room(s) give this a go.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDMI-Extender-1080P-60m-Repeater-Over-Single-Cat-6-7-Ethernet-Cables-IR-Function/173374159273?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=c7a49b211a614142a274f22c64052575&pid=100675&rk=14&rkt=15&sd=123025725451&itm=173374159273&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:14ef976d-1176-11e9-ba9b-74dbd180f647|parentrq:21b092b11680aca6f2ee3b9ffffb95c7|iid:1
Need a HDMI splitter as well, make sure it’s HDCP 2.2 or better and your Ethernet cables are cat6 or better..

I’ve done mine for the bedroom, extra lounge and the spa.
All able to change channel or feed internet TV. Just remember, whatever you are watching will be on in all rooms though.
And you need the ir remote, not The Bluetooth. You can run both for the IQ4.
I’ve an old or remote that I use to program my harmony one remotes. So one button will change my TV from whatever my last ctivity was, to Foxtel one button boots up TV, IQ4, changes input to whatever HDMI in is required, turns on amplifier.
Then the volume is controlled by the amp, the channels are changed on the IQ. All from one remote.

Last edited:
Just called Foxtel to cancel ....

My current plan is HD / Sports / Standard stuff.. $68 per month...

They offered me $42 per month - took the deal.

Still will prob go to Kayo eventually ...

Also asked about IQ4 ... they don't work with cable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back