Opinion Upgrade Marley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. You need to reward guys who are good enough, and do enough of the right things, to be elevated half way through their first season.

He may have gotten a go purely because of the number of injuries we have but he has taken his opportunity. His has a lot if good attributes which makes you think he'd at least be handy depth, starting from next year.

Yes for me. He's leap frogged Rounds and Young.

He can find the ball and attack it to the standard or an AFL player but his kicking is below average. He deserves a spot on the list based on his performances so far and is ahead of Young and Rounds at this stage. I'd like to see him improve his disposal though.

Yes. You need to reward guys who are good enough, and do enough of the right things, to be elevated half way through their first season.

and Also played quite well for a 2nd Round Rookie Pick and Did not look out of Place at AFL Level.

Love that he plays with a Attitude

Yep, he's been good

Worst thing is he was playing really well in the Carlton match before he got injured. Very unlucky.

It seems like any time anyone comes into any form they get injured.

Loving what ive seen from the lad however for me it would depend on a couple of things. How many we decide to delist which would determine the amount of positions available. Itll also be interesting to see how he recovers coming off the shoulder surgery.

We arent going to lose him if he stays on the rookie list, and he's not a lock for the best 22 this year so theres no real rush to elevate him.

However i'd give it to him for his own confidence and to show the club has faith in him

We arent going to lose him if he stays on the rookie list, and he's not a lock for the best 22 this year so theres no real rush to elevate him.

He may Request a Trade to a Team that will

I'd keep him as a rookie.

We want to keep our list together and by retaining Marley and Caolan as rookies it allows us to minimise our senior list changes - which don't need to be super major anyway.

Neither are likely to play round 1 2013 with key players coming back from injury so no need.

We want to keep our list together and by retaining Marley and Caolan as rookies it allows us to minimise our senior list changes - which don't need to be super major anyway.

Neither are likely to play round 1 2013 with key players coming back from injury so no need.

I could see Marley playing RD 1 next season but I highly doubt Mooney would be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see Marley playing RD 1 next season but I highly doubt Mooney would be

The backline looks to be:
B: Harry O'Brien Nathan Brown Alan Toovey
HB: Heath Shaw Ben Reid Nick Maxwell
BENCH: Marty Clarke
*Tarrant and B.Johnson could also make that team assuming they continue on next year and would both also be ahead of Williams for positions down back.

Marley would need to have a strong preseason to pass any of these by. But with footskills still developing I don't see it at this stage for round 1.

He may Request a Trade to a Team that will

A risk we take with every player on the list mate. We're fortunate to have unearthed some talented depth and we've had a great deal of success maintaining them on our list, Jmac has been the only casualty from memory. We would want to keep this current crop together as Knight mentioned above

I'm confused.

OK, so given that Marley was promoted at the expense of Ball who was placed on the long term injury list (and Mooney for Keeffe), does that mean that Marley still remained a rookie throughout that process?

So that would mean that there are three classifications - senior players (can play AFL and VFL, eg: Swan), rookie players (can only play VFL, eg: Shae Mac) and promoted rookies (can play both AFL and VFL, eg: Marley and the Road Runner)

Fairly much.

The terminology seems to vary, but essentially players can be temporarily elevated to the senior list a la Marley, or permanently promoted at the end of the season to a senior position for the new year.

The backline looks to be:
B: Harry O'Brien Nathan Brown Alan Toovey
HB: Heath Shaw Ben Reid Nick Maxwell
BENCH: Marty Clarke
*Tarrant and B.Johnson could also make that team assuming they continue on next year and would both also be ahead of Williams for positions down back.

Marley would need to have a strong preseason to pass any of these by. But with footskills still developing I don't see it at this stage for round 1.

Yeah but he's played elsewhere for the majority of his footy.

Yeah but he's played elsewhere for the majority of his footy.

This is true and I'm with you in that I see him having greater success in other roles - would be much better suited to playing as a forward or midfielder.

But for me it's a case of name the line you want him to play and I'll name who's infront of him because there is no role assuming a fully healthy list where Marley can just walking into our best 22 in round 1.

Depends what's coming up.

If it's an uber draft, we might see a bunch of rookies dropped and some deep drafting. Attack looks good but no special attributes that I can see.

Kicking is hit and miss.

This is true and I'm with you in that I see him having greater success in other roles - would be much better suited to playing as a forward or midfielder.

But for me it's a case of name the line you want him to play and I'll name who's infront of him because there is no role assuming a fully healthy list where Marley can just walking into our best 22 in round 1.

If we ever change our tune re taggers, he's a likely candidate.

ur assuming were gonna have no key injuries next year? the injury rate is just gonna go up each year..

I think the exciting thing about Marley Williams is that he seems to be a player that is really going out there and grabbing his opportunity. Unlike some other players, he doesn't seem the type who'll ever die wondering what might have been.

Each opportunity he gets he strives to get the best out of himself. Kind of like Keeffe but with more chutzpah. Kind of like Sinclair but with more mongrel.

He's never going to be a high profile golden child of the Pendlebury / Cloke / Thomas mould. If he succeeds he'll end up being more like a Maxwell - hardworking, no-nonsense, dependable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back