NSW Upper Hunter By-Election - 22 May 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know we don't usually talk about state by-elections, but this one is particularly interesting on a number of levels so I thought I might try a thread. The by-election has been triggered by the resignation of Nationals MP Michael Johnsen, who has been accused of raping a sex worker.

For those unfamiliar with it, Upper Hunter covers the more northern and western parts of the federal seat of Hunter. This makes the seat even more heavily influenced by mining regions than Joel Fitzgibbon's, with a very big percentage of electors residing in or around the mining towns of Singleton and Muswellbrook.

UpperHunter.JPG

Upper Hunter has traditionally been a very safe Nationals seat - it has been held by the party for the last 90 years, and for much of the last 3 decades by the very popular George Souris. Souris won 73.3% of the 2PP vote when the O'Farrell government swept to power in 2011, but he retired in 2015 and Johnsen has had trouble replicating his success. In 2019, the Nationals won the seat from Labor with 52.56% of the 2PP - but both major parties faced a strong primary vote challenge from the Shooters, Farmers and Fishers.

Both Berejiklian and Barilaro have come out and said they expect to lose the seat, and that seems fairly likely given the slim margin and the circumstances surrounding Johnsen. The candidate selected by the local preselectors (construction engineer David Layzell) was not the first choice of the state party. He is up against Jeff Drayton from the ALP, a mining union official. Much of the interest surrounds the SFF, who with 22.04% of the vote in 2019 are definitely in the mix to challenge the ALP (28.65% in the same election). They have a strong candidate in Sue Gilroy, head of the Singleton Chamber of Commerce.

The wild card is One Nation, who did not run last time but performed very strongly at the federal election a few months later - picking up 21% of the primary vote in Hunter and almost knocking off Joel Fitzgibbon. Initially it seemed like they would put up their candidate from that election (Stuart Bonds) but internal politics seems to have put paid to that. At this stage it is unclear who ON will run - Mark Latham is being bandied about (as he lives in the area) but it seems unlikely. Stuart Bonds is also threatening to run as an independent, which will put another wrinkle in things.

Very hard to project what is going to happen. The Nationals are going hard for the mining vote - although the ALP candidate is a miner, ALP policy is for a moratorium on new mine openings in the Hunter. ON and SFF have not run against each other previously in this electorate, and you would have to think that there is a fair overlap in their base. Even if they come to some kind of arrangement to lock out the Nats and ALP, minor parties usually suffer badly from preference leakage.

Gun to my head I would say that the minor parties will fragment the anti-Nationals primary vote too much, leaving room for the ALP will sneak over the line. But the preference deals will be very interesting to watch.

Both Berejiklian and Barilaro have come out and said they expect to lose the seat, and that seems fairly likely given the slim margin and the circumstances surrounding Johnsen.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought their chances were that dire. Unless there's a strong difference in mood in/out of Sydney, the sense I get is that NSW Labor look feeble and Berejiklian is still popular (but I suppose not necessarily the Nats.)

That might encourage some would-be Nats voters to primary SFF to keep Labor out, which I don't think is a good outcome from the Nats' perspective? They don't seem to have a working strategy to subdue these regional revolts - they've probably got more chance of recapturing this at a general election against a Labor yes-man than yet another entrenched SFF MP who can campaign heavily on local issues.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought their chances were that dire. Unless there's a strong difference in mood in/out of Sydney, the sense I get is that NSW Labor look feeble and Berejiklian is still popular (but I suppose not necessarily the Nats.)
Upper Hunter is a marginal seat now, and the local Nationals have picked a really poor candidate. David Layzell has no local profile, no connection to the mining community and virtually no political experience (I think he has one failed run for local council in Dungog).

The candidate was supposed to be Sue Moore - current mayor of Singleton and a very experienced political operator. Singleton is the population centre where all the miners are, but she's also a farmer so she can appeal to rural voters. And honestly, a female candidate wouldn't have hurt given Johnsen's circumstances. Would have been a really solid candidate.

I'm not entirely sure what happened or what the local preselectors were thinking, but they're going to have to wear the consequences.

"can't get the required level of cash in the door" ;)
Not about money, just skin in the game. 15% of the population work in the mining industry and a substantial proportion of the rest are dependent on the money that mining brings in. The ALP understand, that's why they're running a mining union rep.

I could understand forgoing a mining candidate in favour of someone who appeals more to the farming community, but Layzell doesn't help them there either. Definitely get the impression that he got the nomination more on the back of working the numbers rather than being the best candidate.

I know we don't usually talk about state by-elections, but this one is particularly interesting on a number of levels so I thought I might try a thread. The by-election has been triggered by the resignation of Nationals MP Michael Johnsen, who has been accused of raping a sex worker.

For those unfamiliar with it, Upper Hunter covers the more northern and western parts of the federal seat of Hunter. This makes the seat even more heavily influenced by mining regions than Joel Fitzgibbon's, with a very big percentage of electors residing in or around the mining towns of Singleton and Muswellbrook.

View attachment 1101362

Upper Hunter has traditionally been a very safe Nationals seat - it has been held by the party for the last 90 years, and for much of the last 3 decades by the very popular George Souris. Souris won 73.3% of the 2PP vote when the O'Farrell government swept to power in 2011, but he retired in 2015 and Johnsen has had trouble replicating his success. In 2019, the Nationals won the seat from Labor with 52.56% of the 2PP - but both major parties faced a strong primary vote challenge from the Shooters, Farmers and Fishers.

Both Berejiklian and Barilaro have come out and said they expect to lose the seat, and that seems fairly likely given the slim margin and the circumstances surrounding Johnsen. The candidate selected by the local preselectors (construction engineer David Layzell) was not the first choice of the state party. He is up against Jeff Drayton from the ALP, a mining union official. Much of the interest surrounds the SFF, who with 22.04% of the vote in 2019 are definitely in the mix to challenge the ALP (28.65% in the same election). They have a strong candidate in Sue Gilroy, head of the Singleton Chamber of Commerce.

The wild card is One Nation, who did not run last time but performed very strongly at the federal election a few months later - picking up 21% of the primary vote in Hunter and almost knocking off Joel Fitzgibbon. Initially it seemed like they would put up their candidate from that election (Stuart Bonds) but internal politics seems to have put paid to that. At this stage it is unclear who ON will run - Mark Latham is being bandied about (as he lives in the area) but it seems unlikely. Stuart Bonds is also threatening to run as an independent, which will put another wrinkle in things.

Very hard to project what is going to happen. The Nationals are going hard for the mining vote - although the ALP candidate is a miner, ALP policy is for a moratorium on new mine openings in the Hunter. ON and SFF have not run against each other previously in this electorate, and you would have to think that there is a fair overlap in their base. Even if they come to some kind of arrangement to lock out the Nats and ALP, minor parties usually suffer badly from preference leakage.

Gun to my head I would say that the minor parties will fragment the anti-Nationals primary vote too much, leaving room for the ALP will sneak over the line. But the preference deals will be very interesting to watch.
Not a lot of love atm in area for Gladys, from what I am hearing.
Unhappy with Health system.

No it won't. It would be their fourth - they already hold Orange, Barwon and Murray.

Getting over the top of Labor will be a tough ask with ON taking a big slice of their primary vote.

SFF is backed financially and logistically by the pro-racing brigade who sprung from the ban on greyhound racing.
Hunter Valley is greyhound racing heartland.
Sue Gilroy is almost the perfect candidate for that electorate.
SFF should win easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate the OP might have been a bit beyond your level of reading comprehension, but I’m tipping an ALP win

Oh I got it.
The wonderful, excellent, marvellous, eminent LNP candidate XYZ who is running a marvellous, excellent, wonderful campaign is getting dudded by the dastardly Labor/Independent candidate who isn't fit to be a candidate but their scare campaign against the wonderful, excellent, marvellous policies of the LNP will just see them get over the line. The issues in this by-election will be who are the better economic managers (LOL), Bloody Labor is trying to stop Neo-Liberals from telling the people what is best for them (hint: Neo-liberal nonsense), local issues aren't important because this electorate can tell the difference between when they need to vote for the LNP and when they don't (hint: Never)
You tried that nonsense most recently in the Eden-Monaro by-election.

Oh I got it.
The wonderful, excellent, marvellous, eminent LNP candidate XYZ who is running a marvellous, excellent, wonderful campaign is getting dudded by the dastardly Labor/Independent candidate who isn't fit to be a candidate but their scare campaign against the wonderful, excellent, marvellous policies of the LNP will just see them get over the line. The issues in this by-election will be who are the better economic managers (LOL), Bloody Labor is trying to stop Neo-Liberals from telling the people what is best for them (hint: Neo-liberal nonsense), local issues aren't important because this electorate can tell the difference between when they need to vote for the LNP and when they don't (hint: Never)
You tried that nonsense most recently in the Eden-Monaro by-election.
You clearly haven’t read anything I’ve written, or at least failed to understand it

Now I remember why I had you on ignore. Ciao.

You clearly haven’t read anything I’ve written

Read it.
Like all the others...passive aggressive anti-Labor drivel dressed up as balanced commentary.
Extraordinary how that balanced commentary always ends with elections being about issues that perfectly align with LNP talking points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back