Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Corryong and Federals in a World of Hurt.
The Demons I believe are worse off than the Swans.
Tumba to Farrer League to me is a good move.
They appear to have a strong list that could challenge for a while if they can keep everyone together.
Bullioh will Apply to join TDFL again I’d imagine.
That leaves Cudgie to make a call on their future
Not that I disagree with any of this I can’t see it happening this year. Bullioh, Cudgewa and tumba all have publicly said they will carry on in a 4 team league. Corryong will continue to limp along to make it happen. Although behind the scenes surely Bullioh are exploring other options..

Not that I disagree with any of this I can’t see it happening this year. Bullioh, Cudgewa and tumba all have publicly said they will carry on in a 4 team league. Corryong will continue to limp along to make it happen. Although behind the scenes surely Bullioh are exploring other options..
Would the demons and swans consider merging?

Maybe the best option is to make the call now and say that there will be a UMFNL season in 2023 but it will be the last one and celebrate the end of an era.

There should be a meeting to call for the formation of the Upper Murray Eagles FC in May-June 2023.

Have the team set up strongly from the beginning. Build a strong committee, get sponsorship commitments for 2024, grab a quality coach, get the local players committed and then scour the region for players who will strengthen any weaknesses in playing personnel. Being the pioneers for a new club should be a very good selling point, especially the drive to make it successful.

Real shame what has become of the league. It’s so unique and isolated, and also very, very old, which I think goes unnoticed. Some of these clubs are over 100 years old, with rich history and strong rivalries. It’s part of what made the league what it is, despite the low number of teams. I only spent a couple of years up there, but it was quite noticeable the strength of the rivalries and passion of the supporters. It’s why I can understand the reluctance to give it up. All that history gone in a hear beat. Even if common sense clearly says it’s the best thing for footy in the district. I can’t begrudge any of the old timers for hanging in there. But it does feel like without intervention it will be gone anyway. What does Feds and Corryong merging do? Make it a 4 league comp, which is what it would be if Feds folded anyway. Kicking the can down the road. I’m not local up there obviously, but the community needs footy.

Your both on the money here. Yep it sucks to think we are going to lose these clubs with over 100 years of history. But there were so many more people invested in football twenty years ago. I don’t want to give up on my footy club. But i will if it means we could all come together and make one strong, passionate, progressive and inclusive club that has pathways for its juniors to progress into senior football/netball. Can’t happen with what we have..

What seems most likely to happen is that Tumba will head off to the Farrer and take a few guys from the other clubs and Bullioh will apply to enter the Tallangatta league and try and bolster their team with players from the other clubs as well.

The culture of the clubs in the district will be lost and footy will be played only in those locations. The whole Corryong/Cudgewa/Walwa area would have no club football played there ever again.

If the UM Eagles were to form, after a couple of years you could initiate a heritage round (say the first weekend in July) where an old UM club jumper is used on that day, with the jumpers used in rotation to keep the heritage going. There is a club in either north-east or eastern Tasmania that does this and it is a very popular initiative.

Your both on the money here. Yep it sucks to think we are going to lose these clubs with over 100 years of history. But there were so many more people invested in football twenty years ago. I don’t want to give up on my footy club. But i will if it means we could all come together and make one strong, passionate, progressive and inclusive club that has pathways for its juniors to progress into senior football/netball. Can’t happen with what we have..
Well said

Corryong have a coach and are going ahead even if they only have a senior team of footy is what I heard yesterday morty. My gut feel is that Federal will go into recess but that will be decided in the the next few weeks.
Shame about Feds but Dominos need the first one to fall before the others do.
Its tough recruiting anywhere let alone for guys to make an hour and a half drive most weekends.
Got a name for the Demons new Coach Kenny?
And can he recruit the numbers they will need?

Shame about Feds but Dominos need the first one to fall before the others do.
Its tough recruiting anywhere let alone for guys to make an hour and a half drive most weekends.
Got a name for the Demons new Coach Kenny?
And can he recruit the numbers they will need?

Him and his brother played for the demons a few years ago rip. Played recently for wodonga saints. That’s all I know. Big job recruiting half a dozen players let alone the ten they probably need to be competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gilchrist?
That’s the name I’m hearing Toey.

So the league plans to keep fighting as per the Border Mail. We’re not hearing much from Corryong. They forfeited all their seconds matches except for 3 or 4 last year. Played with 10-12 players on a couple of occasions in the seniors.

If this new coach can’t bring 20 senior and reserve players what happens to the reserve comp if feds call it quits? A three team reserves comp??

That’s the name I’m hearing Toey.

So the league plans to keep fighting as per the Border Mail. We’re not hearing much from Corryong. They forfeited all their seconds matches except for 3 or 4 last year. Played with 10-12 players on a couple of occasions in the seniors.

If this new coach can’t bring 20 senior and reserve players what happens to the reserve comp if feds call it quits? A three team reserves comp??
How did they play Finals if they only had 3-4 games played.
Surely the league wouldn’t allow players who arent qualified too play In A finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back