Upper Murray FL 2019

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rknee

Debutant
Sep 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The Tallangatta league is under no pressure at all to accept any UM team as a single entity or a merged one unless they can support a full contingent on football and Netball Teams. And then the players have to want to play Tallangatta league. A lot of players in the UM come from TDFL clubs so would they be willing to play against their old teams? There is a lot of work to be done to make it happen and it revolves around your junior structure then it does on how competitive your seniors will be.

bidge

Draftee
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
I guess that is the $64,000 question, around if players are willing to continue to travel up to play for an UM team vs continuing to play in the same competition (TDFL) for Wodonga Saints, Kiewa, Yackandandah, Beechworth, Barnawartha or Tallangatta. If we were to look at the percentages of players from the UM area playing for other teams in either the Tallangatta League or Ovens and Murray Reerve competition., there would be enough to build a strong unit. Hopefully the clubs coach/ board can recruit hard for 2020 and lock in some of those previous known players into a Combined UM team to take the Tallangatta League on. All this is obviously hypothetical, but if this be the way forward for the league organisation will be key.

bidge

Draftee
Sep 7, 2007
Colonial Stadium
AFL Club
Geelong
Having a look at the results- Corryong had 18 players names, Federals 17, Border Walwa 15. The stronger keep pushing on with their head in the sky whilst we continually see 250+ point losses every week. Tumbarumba and Federals who will play finals against each other have been 200-250 points off the top teams. Certainly the even competition we all hope for is far gone.
Fingers crossed we see a decision in the next week or two because the league needs some strong intervention to continue in some format.
My belief is a merger is the only way forward for the league and it would come with ALL clubs buying into the merger not just some. Upper Murray football/ netball needs to be sustainable for future generations not just some towns.

Old Kenny

Senior List
Sep 9, 2007
up there
AFL Club
Sydney
Having a look at the results- Corryong had 18 players names, Federals 17, Border Walwa 15. The stronger keep pushing on with their head in the sky whilst we continually see 250+ point losses every week. Tumbarumba and Federals who will play finals against each other have been 200-250 points off the top teams. Certainly the even competition we all hope for is far gone.
Fingers crossed we see a decision in the next week or two because the league needs some strong intervention to continue in some format.
My belief is a merger is the only way forward for the league and it would come with ALL clubs buying into the merger not just some. Upper Murray football/ netball needs to be sustainable for future generations not just some towns.
Agree with your points mate. For me though junior footy is the bigger problem. Senior footy could continue on for a few years but Without a pathway for underage kids to progress through to senior footy there is no future for the current clubs in my opinion. Some people and clubs are currently getting torn a new one for openly supporting a merged entity. But how can we keep going with only 4 under 14 teams, 0 under 16 teams, 3 reserve teams and really only 2 quality senior teams? It’s a joke that people think things aren’t that bad and that it will improve by tinkering with the edges of this problem.

Greyhorse

Rookie
Mar 26, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree with your points mate. For me though junior footy is the bigger problem. Senior footy could continue on for a few years but Without a pathway for underage kids to progress through to senior footy there is no future for the current clubs in my opinion. Some people and clubs are currently getting torn a new one for openly supporting a merged entity. But how can we keep going with only 4 under 14 teams, 0 under 16 teams, 3 reserve teams and really only 2 quality senior teams? It’s a joke that people think things aren’t that bad and that it will improve by tinkering with the edges of this problem.
Your exactly right Kenny. The league in it’s current state is no good for anyone especially the juniors. Where does this leave Bullioh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom