Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with both of these points - footy would be a great community lifter however may now not be priority one. Perhaps Mother Nature has determined the fate of the um?

I’d be happy at rising 44 to have a run for Walwa to keep them up and going...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was thinking the same thing. If the community thought a footy side could lift their spirits and be a place to meet up each week for a cuddle, wouldn’t it be great if a well known local took them on for a year. Who cares about the results. Just something to lift spirits.
probably wouldn’t be hard to get a team to play for free in 2020 with all gate and canteen profits above the regular club expenses to go to helping the community.

Walwa cound not find the 60 or so blokes needed to field two mens team apparantly. If the comp was changed to a single grade, like Northern Riverina or Millawa FL (Mildura area) then chances are they could have found the 30 players. Pity the league won’t adapt to suit the population.

Walwa cound not find the 60 or so blokes needed to field two mens team apparantly. If the comp was changed to a single grade, like Northern Riverina or Millawa FL (Mildura area) then chances are they could have found the 30 players. Pity the league won’t adapt to suit the population.
The seconds have been scrapped for next year mate. It’s a seniors only comp from now on.

The seconds have been scrapped for next year mate. It’s a seniors only comp from now on.
You seem to have your finger on the pulse Old Kenny.
Any truth to the rumour there is a meeting tomorrow night to decide if the Competition goes ahead at all this Season?
i hope it does as the communities need a place to meet and chat and also have a beer or two but I fear with all the destruction from the fires the volunteers may be rebuilding the communities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to have your finger on the pulse Old Kenny.
Any truth to the rumour there is a meeting tomorrow night to decide if the Competition goes ahead at all this Season?
i hope it does as the communities need a place to meet and chat and also have a beer or two but I fear with all the destruction from the fires the volunteers may be rebuilding the communities
There’s a league meeting tomorrow night is all I know rip.
You’ve got to wonder how Tumba is tracking. They’re a bit off the radar up that way.

There’s a league meeting tomorrow night is all I know rip.
You’ve got to wonder how Tumba is tracking. They’re a bit off the radar up that way.

Tumba is also the Murray Rugby League premiers from last season so you would hate for the Aussie Rules team to fold.

I’m asking the same question on a few forums as a conversation starter.
Do you think the Country League officials would consider pushing the season into November/December if we were able to get a start in June or July?
Grounds and Cricket would not be the same issue as it would be in other leagues but can anyone see a way that could work?

I’m asking the same question on a few forums as a conversation starter.
Do you think the Country League officials would consider pushing the season into November/December if we were able to get a start in June or July?
Grounds and Cricket would not be the same issue as it would be in other leagues but can anyone see a way that could work?
It looks pretty unlikely to be honest fruit. And I think our league president said as much in the paper during the week.

I think the bigger issue is how will the leagues look once this has settled down? Is this the catalyst for major change? In my opinion something has to change. Watching our clubs diminish into something that’s unrecognisable to the local supporters is an issue imo.
On a positive note the new facility at the Corryong oval looks unreal and will be a great place for the footy club/clubs going forward.

good luck to everyone through this shitty time 👍

It looks pretty unlikely to be honest fruit. And I think our league president said as much in the paper during the week.

I think the bigger issue is how will the leagues look once this has settled down? Is this the catalyst for major change? In my opinion something has to change. Watching our clubs diminish into something that’s unrecognisable to the local supporters is an issue imo.
On a positive note the new facility at the Corryong oval looks unreal and will be a great place for the footy club/clubs going forward.

I hope it is the catalyst for change Kenny. There is no doubt a combined Feds, BW, Cudgewa and Corryong club could be filled with locals and regenerate the local supporters interest again much like Walla people got involved again when they merged with Rand Walbundrie in the Hume League.
it would also hopefully keep the Upper Murray kids more interested in playing and progressing through the ranks.

Sounds the perfect venue for a tallangtta league club🙄

The Goulburn Valley forum has a post that says that there is a belief that a few clubs are looking for possible merger partners in their region.
What rationalisation do you foresee in the region in the short term?
If the Upper Murray season doesn't start this year, will ever see another UMFNL match played?

The Goulburn Valley forum has a post that says that there is a belief that a few clubs are looking for possible merger partners in their region.
What rationalisation do you foresee in the region in the short term?
If the Upper Murray season doesn't start this year, will ever see another UMFNL match played?
I think mergers are inevitable. Even if the games get underway clubs will start struggling financially.
Without 2nds there is a much smaller crowd at each game. 40 players, officials, umpires and supporters could amount to 100-200 less people in attendance which could be $3-5k less revenue each week while the seniors will still be getting paid the same amount as normal.
It’s not sustainable.

I think mergers are inevitable. Even if the games get underway clubs will start struggling financially.
Without 2nds there is a much smaller crowd at each game. 40 players, officials, umpires and supporters could amount to 100-200 less people in attendance which could be $3-5k less revenue each week while the seniors will still be getting paid the same amount as normal.
It’s not sustainable.
Take the year off and prepare for a merger I say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back