Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi All,

I will jump in with a statement here... for the leagues to continue would it better to begin discussions on a revitalisation of football in the area. It's highly unlikely to see any sport/football this season and what it will look like no body knows but would 2021 be better looking something like this....

Create two conferences using the Upper Murray/Tallanagtta and surrounding O+K Clubs to create a stronger league for the next generation. (If you think this idea is awful, fair enough but just having a crack at possibly saving football in the area, so cut me some slack).

Upper Murray

1. Bethanga/Wod Saints
2. Kiewa
3. Tallangatta
4. Bullioh
5. Corryong United Demons (It's time)
6. Tumbarumba?
7. Murray Magpies/Thurgoona? (Possibly swap with Hume League)
8. Mitta

Indigo Valley

1. Barnawartha
2. Chiltern
3. Rutherglen
4. Wagunyah
5. Bright (In from O+K)
6. Dederang
7. Beechworth
8. Yackandandah

Both 'CONFERENCES' have 8 teams meaning a regular season would consitute 7 home games + 7 away games= 14 total games during the season.

Top 4 of each conference go through to a 'CONFERENCE FINALS SERIES'
1 V 4
2 V 3

Teams play at Seniors (1 and 2) Home Ground- Gate takings, Canteen/money is shared between each Conferences teams.

CONFERENCE FINALISTS- Winners play off at Sandy Creek- Saturday/Sunday (Upper Murray and Indigo Valley) Gate takings, Canteen split between ALL Clubs

Grand Final Saturday (CONFERENCE WINNERS) - Gate takings/Canteen Split Between ALL CLUBS

Having done a bit of research the longest Travel would be 1 Hour 45 Minutes between Tumbarumba and Kiewa.
The question would remain if Tumbarumba would be interested in this type of Hybrid Competition....Or if Wagga is the logical step.

As I said, feel free to Smack the idea down, but It's going to be a different world out there when football truly returns, and numbers could either skyrocket as an outlet or dwindle, hopefully someone is thinking about the future of Country Football as it's hard to see it continuing unless reform is identified.

Hi All,

I will jump in with a statement here... for the leagues to continue would it better to begin discussions on a revitalisation of football in the area. It's highly unlikely to see any sport/football this season and what it will look like no body knows but would 2021 be better looking something like this....

Create two conferences using the Upper Murray/Tallanagtta and surrounding O+K Clubs to create a stronger league for the next generation. (If you think this idea is awful, fair enough but just having a crack at possibly saving football in the area, so cut me some slack).

Upper Murray

1. Bethanga/Wod Saints
2. Kiewa
3. Tallangatta
4. Bullioh
6. Tumbarumba?
8. Mitta

Indigo Valley

1. Barnawartha
2. Chiltern
3. Rutherglen
4. Wagunyah
5. Bright (In from O+K)
6. Dederang
7. Beechworth
8. Yackandandah

Both 'CONFERENCES' have 8 teams meaning a regular season would consitute 7 home games + 7 away games= 14 total games during the season.

1 V 4
2 V 3

Teams play at Seniors (1 and 2) Home Ground- Gate takings, Canteen/money is shared between each Conferences teams.

CONFERENCE FINALISTS- Winners play off at Sandy Creek- Saturday/Sunday (Upper Murray and Indigo Valley) Gate takings, Canteen split between ALL Clubs

Grand Final Saturday (CONFERENCE WINNERS) - Gate takings/Canteen Split Between ALL CLUBS

Having done a bit of research the longest Travel would be 1 Hour 45 Minutes between Tumbarumba and Kiewa.
The question would remain if Tumbarumba would be interested in this type of Hybrid Competition....Or if Wagga is the logical step.

As I said, feel free to Smack the idea down, but It's going to be a different world out there when football truly returns, and numbers could either skyrocket as an outlet or dwindle, hopefully someone is thinking about the future of Country Football as it's hard to see it continuing unless reform is identified.
I like your thinking and think it could work well. Bright tried to enter the TDFL a few years ago because of the junior structure so that makes sense.

Tumbarumba to Mitta is 2.5 hours so I think Tumba would be better off finding a home in NSW like the Farrah League.

Hi All,

Upper Murray

1. Bethanga/Wod Saints
2. Kiewa
3. Tallangatta
4. Bullioh
6. Tumbarumba?
8. Mitta

Indigo Valley

1. Barnawartha
2. Chiltern
3. Rutherglen
4. Wagunyah
5. Bright (In from O+K)
6. Dederang
7. Beechworth
8. Yackandandah

1 V 4
2 V 3

Good idea for discussion. Couple of questions though - wouldn’t it be better for the corryong team to be corryong federal? And also what about a cudgy Walwa merge as well?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a bad idea but why drastically alter the tallangatta league when it’s thriving and only gonna get stronger. The league just needs to make one team and join the tdfl. The upper Murray won’t survive especially now they can’t offer money to travellers, although that is wrong it’s true. Why would a strong club like Kiewa agree to go backwards?

Hearing Corryong coach could have landed another 3-4 Barnawartha players, the demons would have to be favourites now. One of them a former 100 goal premiership player.

The tallangatta league can accommodate 2 more sides

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m glad Bullioh didn’t get accepted in last year, I thought it was a selfish and weak move by them, and they would have clashed with tallangatta.
Would make more sense for a stand alone Corryong team, and Bullioh,Walwa and cudgewa can make the second team. No need to include tumba, they can go in the other direction.

I’m glad Bullioh didn’t get accepted in last year, I thought it was a selfish and weak move by them, and they would have clashed with tallangatta.
Would make more sense for a stand alone Corryong team, and Bullioh,Walwa and cudgewa can make the second team. No need to include tumba, they can go in the other direction.
Bullioh are far, far more cashed up than Tallangatta. They’re one of wealthiest clubs in the area, I think the Hoppers would be more worried about them. Cudgy are basically the reason there wasn’t a merger. I think some diehards would rather their club fold than merge, progress is slow going in the Upper Murray. 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullioh are far, far more cashed up than Tallangatta. They’re one of wealthiest clubs in the area, I think the Hoppers would be more worried about them. Cudgy are basically the reason there wasn’t a merger. I think some diehards would rather their club fold than merge, progress is slow going in the Upper Murray. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I just think tallangatta have the advantage by having the bigger township.
All clubs need to get on the same page, or a decision they don’t like will be made for them. It’s easy for Cudgewa and bullioh to not play the game while they’re flying, but things can change just as quick.

The tallangatta league can accommodate 2 more sides

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good to hear you on here chop. I recon the tdfl could handle more sides but I think it keeps on diluting the rivalries that teams build up against other teams. That’s one thing the Um have through years of playing a lot against each other. That passion is something can can work both ways but it keeps some people that aren’t 100% footyheads like us supporting our family clubs.
Gastev mentioned money in a previous post and that’s the silver lining in this mess and I’m really intrigued to see how it pans out. It can only be a good thing for the league. Clubs that have a heap of cash put away probably means jack s**t. Players travelling up for money will take less or not come.

So the clubs spend less money and keep the league going with only a senior team or we all get together and make one strong local club in the tdfl.

win/win in my opinion.

A few people have voiced their concern about players putting in clearances to other leagues, after their current teams have pulled the pin for the year. I’d love to see the upper Murray go ahead this year, and some players flood up the hills for the year. If restrictions eased by finals time and no other footy is played it could be really exciting.

where will tumbarumba go ?.
towards a wagga league ?.
If Tumba had've had advanced warning they could've played in the Farrer this year with all the Ovens and Murray players shifting over to the 2 Wagga based comps. They could've had plenty of O and M and Tallangatta league players come on board relatively cheaply for a season but I don't know how sustainable the club would be if the shift was permanent.

So where to now for the Upper Murray folks? Doesn’t seem like any change would be welcomed by a few clubs. So do we keep struggling along or do we strive for something better? Not many other options for kids in terms of winter sports.

Could the League survive with 4 Teams Old Kenny
I think it would struggle rip. In the last three or so years we have lost under 16’s totally, teams have been forced to forfeit under 14’s games, we have lost seconds and most recently we have lost a whole team to recess. An alarming pattern in my view.

But there’s clubs that wish to push on.. and that’s ok if they can see things turning around in terms of participation and less pressure on volunteer numbers.

Personally, I can’t see that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back