Urgent umpiring overhaul needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

i thought the umpiring was awful both ways. In the first half, i lost count of the number of times players were drilled in the back.

And then there were so many terrible decisions (or non decisions) in the second half.

YES full time umpires would make a huge difference.

They could spend their days getting fitter, analysing their decisions, looking at examples of incidents and how they should be umpired, understanding the rules and going to clubs to teach the players.
Agree to disagree.
You can throw all the sports science, umpire meetings and time in the world at the problem and it won’t make a lick of difference. The problem lies with the rules become increasingly more convoluted and the game getting quicker plus teams looking to bend the rules where they can.

How about this be made a rule: if you take possession of the ball, you must kick or handball it or else it is a free to the other team.

No prior opportunity or making an attempt bullshit that the umpires have to judge. And If there's not enough time or space for a player to hrab the ball and dispose od it correctly then they can kick it off the ground or tap it on that would keep the ball moving much better than just letting the players play hot potato on a dime.
Yep, let’s discourage players from winning the ball.

When players from both sides stop expecting a decision then there probably needs to be a decision. Instead play on was called on more than one occasion today.

The umpires were absolutely hopeless and massively favoured Collingwood.

Yes, if you can only remember the last 2 minutes of the game.

Umpires kept Essendon in the game in the 1st half.

Remember Essendon's 1st goal when Grundy tackled Draco Malfoy on the side then didn't land on him?

umpiring was very good over the game today.

They were reluctant to pay frees and thus missed a few holding the ball decisions.

Much prefer frees not paid... than the reverse of paying bad free kicks.

I don't think it was as bad as the commentators made out, they struggle to know the rules half the time
What about when the players all stop from both sides stop playing because they both think it's a freekick? Umpiring was shocking and OP has a point regardless of the method

Worst umpiring I have seen all year, Essendon probably came off second best. But in saying that their supporters booing Pendlebury at the end was disgusting.

Hard to be disappointed with that loss. Must be hard for pies fans to be satisfied with the win.
Don't know what to think really. Sad way for the game to end. I hope it gets called out in the presser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still in disbelief over that final minute. How can the same umpire ignore a blatant holding the ball against Collingwood...only to blow his whistle against Essendon 1 second later. Utterly disgraceful.

Yes it was a push in the back, but that’s actually irrelevant. I would have accepted it had the umpire ignored both indiscretions, as they were equally obvious.

Bombers may not have won, but they were robbed of that final chance to steal a famous win.

Full time umpires probably won't happen, they have full time jobs, pretty sure one is a lawyer.

How do the AFL afford to pay him/her enough to give up their full time job which probably already pays top dollar.

Worst umpiring I have seen all year, Essendon probably came off second best. But in saying that their supporters booing Pendlebury at the end was disgusting.

I don't believe they were actually booing Pendlebury himself - even though he copped it. It was just the pent up frustration of the appalling umpiring; especially in that last quarter.

Pies win free kick by any less than 10 and an urgent review of umpiring is called for.

#25to9
#Sidebottomthrows

Our game is a chaotic, 360-degree non-direction high-velocity stacks-on full contact sport. It's probably the hardest game to umpire that I can think of.

There are probably community noticeboards with this exact ad on them dating back to 1897 somewhere. It's old as the hills and it's trying to solve an unsolvable problem.

How can the same umpire ignore a blatant holding the ball against Collingwood...only to blow his whistle against Essendon 1 second later. Utterly disgraceful.
Because of the pressure of the situation. Same way that players make stupid decisions when the margin is under a goal and there's under a minute left, like trying to baulk Fraser Brown or Buckley passing to Rocca with the scores level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back