Urgent umpiring overhaul needed.

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would full time umpires really make any difference?

Strip back the rules, keep them as simple as possible, bring back the contest and battle of strength. Watch bigger bodies make a comeback to the game, the return of the big bodied gorilla foward, less runners and congestion around the ball, watch the game thrive. There. Simples.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Strip back the rules, keep them as simple as possible, bring back the contest and battle of strength. Watch bigger bodies make a comeback to the game, the return of the big bodied gorilla foward, less runners and congestion around the ball, watch the game thrive. There. Simples.

YES full time umpires would make a huge difference.

They could spend their days getting fitter, analysing their decisions, looking at examples of incidents and how they should be umpired, understanding the rules and going to clubs to teach the players.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
There has been a lot of talk-back and fan unrest about umpires this season.

It is obvious that the AFL has issued a media edict to media outlets because they are all using the exact same talking points defending umpires and saying what a 'difficult job' it is. It seems very much like they have sent out a memo with talking points.

The AFL is like North Korea.

They use their control over the media to push their agenda and the media have to play along to keep their access.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
How about this be made a rule: if you take possession of the ball, you must kick or handball it or else it is a free to the other team.

No prior opportunity or making an attempt bullshit that the umpires have to judge. And If there's not enough time or space for a player to hrab the ball and dispose od it correctly then they can kick it off the ground or tap it on that would keep the ball moving much better than just letting the players play hot potato on a dime.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

The bodies in the midfield have been getting progressively bigger each year

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
The Essendon fans going feral saying the game was rigged is really silly.

However, it’s very disappointing that Collingwood and Essendon had to endure that rubbish today. I’m sure people have watched a lot more football this year than myself, but I’ve been really disappointed with the standard of umpiring from what I’ve seen. Umps have got a tough job and I usually defend them, but today was something else.

Back