Urgent umpiring overhaul needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been involved in football for over 55 years. In junior and senior football. I have seen good and bad umpiring. I am going to say that the AFL umpiring this season - 2019 - is the worst I have seen in the AFL. This across the board - TERRIBLE.
And do you think this may be largely in part due to the AFL unofficially mandating that it be a required skill for umpires to be either psychic’s or forensic psychologists by introducing and/or amending the existing rules so that they must judge a player’s intent (or lack thereof) of what they MEANT to do not what they actually DID, then additionally expects them to adjudicate based on their own individual value systems (which by its very nature is always going to produce variations in interpretation) by inserting clauses and variations to the written rules that empowers umpires to make snap decisions on whether or not a player’s actions are in “the spirit of the game”? How are the umpires meant to, well umpire, the game when the rules have become more wishy washy than dishwater and have been rewritten in such a way that they are deliberately obtuse??

Poor umpiring again has cost Collingwood a possible win. The AFL has to make umpiring a high priority to eradicate this poor umpiring decisions. Ignoring it does not fix it. The problem is caused by the AFL - JUST FIX IT because the game is suffering.

The standard of AFL football has dropped due to umpires letting players throw the ball, drop the ball, incorrectly dispose of the ball, punching of players at anytime, etc. etc.
Yet pay crap free kicks of no relevance all the time.
Keep the game simple kick, handball, marks & tackles are what our game was built on how about we get back to basics and make it easy for Umpires to umpire our game!
Fix up this farce before it is too late.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you can replay the Brisbane Hawthorn game at the weekend watch how bad the umpiring calls go against Brisbane. Brisbane is getting a really bad deal from the umpires even when they win. This is happening to Brisbane week after week. This is only an example to what is happening across the board for all clubs. Umpiring has to improve - would be battling to get a pass mark at the moment.

You can vote with your feet or just sit in your seat and cop it. But whatever you do, don’t yell at ‘em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rules of the game committee needs to be disbanded in total and the entire umpiring department needs to be sacked, top to bottom, with an external, completely independent review team put in place to re-hire the good people and filter out the s**t.

I doubt any of the people at the top would make the cut.

they seem to get the basics wrong.

I wondered the other day -if an OS visitor went to the game with me and asked what the rules are - I would offer the basics - push in back, tackling high or without the ball, throwing, etc. I am sure they would think i was having them on

Blame the AFL and constant changing up with rules- poor Umps have no idea what they are meant to be doing- can't blame the kids who have crazy parents for being crazy!

Hocking is a joke- if you haven't listened to his interview on SEN earlier this week- please do.
It beggars belief this bloke is in charge of the actual game- worse than Gil!

First North did not lose the game due to that - Yes Oscar not a free kick. But earlier the ruck free kick against Oscar was not a free kick either but North got a goal from this - hardly mentioned. If you replay the game midway through the second quarter Andrews gave away a free kick with the same circumstances as Oscars free kick. So the umpires had made this call earlier - wether right or wrong call. Overall you could say Yes the umpires did get it wrong but how many instances during a game we can dispute. We all do it so why is everyone carrying on about one call. Look at the stats the lions should have won by more - Coaches go by stats. The AFL must get rid of some of their stupid rules and just leave the game along. The AFL have caused the problem with rule changes every year.For the state of the game just stop changes rules and possibly the umpires will make better umpiring decisions.

First North did not lose the game due to that - Yes Oscar not a free kick. But earlier the ruck free kick against Oscar was not a free kick either but North got a goal from this - hardly mentioned. If you replay the game midway through the second quarter Andrews gave away a free kick with the same circumstances as Oscars free kick. So the umpires had made this call earlier - wether right or wrong call. Overall you could say Yes the umpires did get it wrong but how many instances during a game we can dispute. We all do it so why is everyone carrying on about one call. Look at the stats the lions should have won by more - Coaches go by stats. The AFL must get rid of some of their stupid rules and just leave the game along. The AFL have caused the problem with rule changes every year.For the state of the game just stop changes rules and possibly the umpires will make better umpiring decisions.
That would be because the Brown decision was the correct decision.
All season the umps have paid against ruckman pushing opponents in the chest.

BigRed

That would be because the Brown decision was the correct decision.
All season the umps have paid against ruckman pushing opponents in the chest.

BigRed
Brown's free is the wrong decision. You state the rule where it states it's a correct decision.

I have been involved in football for over 55 years. In junior and senior football. I have seen good and bad umpiring. I am going to say that the AFL umpiring this season - 2019 - is the worst I have seen in the AFL. This across the board - TERRIBLE.

I haven't watched every game this weekend but those I have really concerned me about the standard of umpiring.
The latest example being the Suns vs Bombers game.
Just some simple examples: the centre ball up was regularly botched and not called back; ricochet from a players foot/leg for out of bounds on the full not called and the opposition scores a goal and finally Dons kick a goal - clearly over the line tapped back into play, no score!
From what I have seen this weekend we would be better of going back to the respective captains umpiring.
I have two sons umpiring in the local leagues and even they are embarrassed by what is happening in the AFL!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back