Urgent umpiring overhaul needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Started with some absolute howlers on Friday night - Tigers given a leg up on the back of some of the worst frees
Middle the disgraceful opening quarter where Saints were absolutely slaughtered and Dees given everything
Finishes with the Suns almost being gifted a game.
2/3 teams on the receiving end of an umpire rogering of the highest order thankfully won.

The Ben Long free kick that gave the Saints the lead back was a ******* disgrace. Ump made an assumption without having a clear view.
More disgraceful was the ******* disgrace of a Melbourne player staging infront of the biggest ******* disgrace of an umpire that got Melbourne the lead it the first place. Surprised he didn't give himself wiplash and the umpire didn't choke on his whistle in his excitement.

More disgraceful was the ******* disgrace of a Melbourne player staging infront of the biggest ******* disgrace of an umpire that got Melbourne the lead it the first place. Surprised he didn't give himself wiplash and the umpire didn't choke on his whistle in his excitement.
The Carlisle/Petty one? The ump was always going to pay something there to stop it going any further. Petty did put some mayo on, but Carlisle was acting like a dick.

The solution is simple. Employ umpires on a full time basis, not as part timers in a professional business/sport. Then get them to learn the rules, be able to interpret them and apply them as written. Players, coaches, support staff etc are all on a full time basis, still cant understand why after all these years AFL umpires are not.

Hocking (April 2019) argues that money or full-time umpires was not the answer to resolving the current treatment of umpires and that the challenges of the umpires were the 9 major rule changes implemented including the 6-6-6 rule. Yet how does Hocking expect part timers to get their heads around the new rules when they're still struggling to pay holding the ball/dropping the ball and incorrect disposal? I think Hocking and the AFL are out of touch here and if they want more people to come through the grass roots ranks and want to umpire at the highest level, along with the criticism of the public, the remuneration must be there.

The remuneration must be there at lower levels as well. It isn’t afl field umpires who umpire 22 games in a year make over 100k for a part time job.

Where as grass roots umpires who have to deal with at worse times worse umpire abuse at quarter time breaks when supporters walk to the middle giving them a gob full make 120-170 a game and that’s seniors it drops considerably for juniors where the actual umpire abuse Is even worse at times.

So yeah hocking has no bloody idea when saying money isn’t the answer it’s a huge answer for the lower grades when the general age demographic is 13-17 years of age and then probably 40-65 years of age. If you paid more, more umpires would continue to umpire meaning more competition and better standards

It's one thing for the goal umpire to be carrying on with their theatrics and staring in to space way after the ball has gone through, but I've just got to ask, what is that other maggot in the pocket looking at? They jump in when they're not required and when old mate could do with a hand, he does nothing. Goal Umpire should have taken control of the whole situation and cut out the theatrics and signalled a goal until one of the field umpires took notice.

If you get a chance, compare the non 50 for a late bump after the mark to Menzel in the swans/GWS game to the 50 paid to St Kilda early in the last against Adelaide. It's a ******* joke that we can have two completely different outcomes within hours of each other, especially when the former was so ******* late the player hadn't left the ground when the mark was taken. Yet no one can say anything because they will cop a fine.

Currently having a debate with a Tiger supporter, who reckons Collingwood get shown favouritism by the umpires, whereas I reckon the Tigers have done much better out of the men and women in flouro green and orange.

Does any one have any objective statistical data on all teams Free Kicks (FF and FA) for the season to date? I know that stats such as these won't settle the debate, but it would be a start.

Any help appreciated.

Currently having a debate with a Tiger supporter, who reckons Collingwood get shown favouritism by the umpires, whereas I reckon the Tigers have done much better out of the men and women in flouro green and orange.

Does any one have any objective statistical data on all teams Free Kicks (FF and FA) for the season to date? I know that stats such as these won't settle the debate, but it would be a start.

Any help appreciated.
You won't win that battle. Collingwood clearly in the positive and Richmond in the negative by some way. I would argue there are particular Richmond players that get the benefit of HTB / incorrect disposal decisions through either non-calls or being given extra time to get the arms free than your average player.

You won't win that battle. Collingwood clearly in the positive and Richmond in the negative by some way. I would argue there are particular Richmond players that get the benefit of HTB / incorrect disposal decisions through either non-calls or being given extra time to get the arms free than your average player.

You're right. To my surprise the Pies fared far better from the umpires than did Richmond up until Rd 9 at least, when the stats end. As per source: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/frees.html#2019

Collingwood to Rd 9 2019 FF/FA (home and away)
376-286
(
131.47%)
Richmond to Rd 9 2019 FF/FA (home and away)
316-352
(89.77%)

Source: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/frees.html#2019

So, on these bald figures (only to Rd 9 mind you), looks like my Tiger friend was right: Pies to that stage of the season had been awarded 60 more frees than Tiges, and had 60-odd fewer frees against.

Of course, none of that tells you about the ones that should have been paid and weren't,whereabouts on the ground you got them/gave them away and whether there was any advantage taken, or if it was a mark as well as a free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I heard once, there's an elite clique of umpires who are very resistant to umpires being full-time, because they like having their little club of cool kids who are well paid professionals: lawyers, top cops, etc. Ok, it might not be so bad these days, but it was some time ago.

The suggestion of full-time umpires was put to an ex-umpy on the radio a couple of years ago (it might've been Humphrey-Smith), and he said "it might not attract the right type of people." The host replied with something about him being snobbish

6-6-6 needs to **** off Steven Hocking.

Push in the back rule/holding your position rule needs to **** off. Smart players use their body not their hands.

Keep the kick in rule. Good for transition.

The exclusion zone in play needs to **** off. Gotta be OK to clog up space. Keep it for goalkicking.

Need to reward tackles more. Giving them an eternity lately and not recognising prior opportunity.

Umpires need to know how far 15m is and to watch the ball in congestion to look for throws.

Boundary umpires need a set distance requirement. Easier and more consistent. Throw ins are way too inconsistent.
I coach 10 junior umpires and their distance is 10m - meaning at the 10m mark is needs to be coming down and at least 9-10 feet in the air. This way they can do it repetitively without physically straining and not doing one long throw then the next being short due to tiredness.

The umpiring might be better if they looked at the correct footage in score reviews.

I haven't clicked on it but does it show:

1. Free kicks that were paid a free that shouldn't have been?
2. Free kicks that were there but weren't paid?

If not, what does it mean?
It means nothing, supporters just like to have something to blame.

There were GWS supporters (all 12 of them) whinging about the umpiring on Sunday when they played us. There certainly were dubious calls but no free kick differential could explain not scoring a goal in a half of football and conceding 12 in a row.

Anyways, on to more pressing things.

Thought it was odd that Marcus Bontempelli got a $2,000 for his bump on Nick Haynes which was, although a little bit rough (not high), legal, whilst Michael Walters who stages all the time and was actually cited for once, only receives a $1,000 fine. I would have thought staging for a free kick was more detrimental to the game than a good old fashioned bump but oh well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back