Uruguay get cocky again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Recoba: Socceroos are nothing special

Uruguay striker Alvaro Recoba is confident his team can emerge triumphant from Sunday's World Cup play-off second leg against Australia in Montevideo.

'They (Australia) are not a great team and they showed it. Even if we lost in Australia we are still a team that can qualify,' Recoba told El Pais newspaper.

Australia won the first leg of the play-off 1-0 but must now hold out in Montevideo at the Centenario Stadium on Sunday, which may prove a harder task.

The national press are calling Sunday 'The day of revenge' and that is precisely the spirit in Uruguay.

The Centenario Stadium's history is as imposing as its stature; it was the venue for the first World Cup final in 1930.

'I think if it was the opposite we would be worried just as they are now,' Inter frontman Recoba said.

Uruguay manager Victor Pua has taken the players away from the busy capital to Punta del Este, 150 kilometres from Montevideo, where the national team have their training base.

'We are a few goals away from qualifying for the World Cup,' the national manager told El Pais newspaper.

The home team will be cheered by a capacity crowd of 73,000 which will give them a distinct advantage over Frank Farina's men.

'One goal is a difference but is not that much, and we can achieve our objective,' said Pua.

Recoba is a tosser. His team was pressed the whole game, only reason they conceded just one goal was because they had 8 defenders and the goalkeeper sitting in the penalty area the whole game.

I hope Australia beats their silly @rses, that way their cocky team will have disgraced their whole country. And there's no worse embarrassment than that.

He's right though, isn't he? If we were coming back from Uruguay with a 1-0 deficit, about to play in front of a huge crowd, we'd be talking our chances up.

I wouldn't expect an unbiased assessment of their chances from him, just as I wouldn't expect it from one of ours. Besides which, their media would be demanding a comment such as the one he gave. It's just talk, sportsmanship.

I hate it when parochialism spills over into abuse. I hope we cane them over there, but not to put the wind up Recoba.

We have a score to settle with these scum bags anyway.

One of the greatest players ever for Australia, Ray Baartz, was partially paralysed in Sydney in the lead up to the 1974 World Cup by a karate chop behind the play against Uruguay.

He was also punched in the face later in the game. Monday morning will be massive - if we make it through over there it will be one of the best victories by any Australian sporting team.

Originally posted by iceman
I hope a riot doesnt happen in the stands if we win...:(

I bet it will :(

Did anyone see the panel and how Santos was thinking of going to the game, I dont think he is going to go now :( ;)

Would be quite an experiance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by iceman
I hope a riot doesnt happen in the stands if we win...:(

I hope they do. Desroying their own stadium, in their own town, over their own team...

Aussies conquering Montevideo...

Bring it on! :mad:

The Hitman

I actually have heaps of confidence that we can score one or two goals in this game, if not win.
Uruguay will have to be playing a more attacking game this time, which will leave more room for Farina's men to score :)

Lets hope I'm right :D

Originally posted by The Hitman

I hope they do. Desroying their own stadium, in their own town, over their own team...

Aussies conquering Montevideo...

Bring it on! :mad:

The Hitman

Fair comment, but what you have to remember is that there are a lot of ppl in the stadium who actually wanna enjoy the game, its usually only a small percentage of idiots who ruin it for everyone...

i just hope security is up to scratch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back