Universal Love Uruguayana's Big Footy Rendezvous

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I have just picked up at Paso de Los Libres Bus Station the son of our BigFooty friend, 1954.

1992 has arrived well. He will get the wi-fi password in the morning — Mrs. Power is the only one who knows it.

Tomorrow, I will post some picks!

You have to love this Gremio guy - he’s truly embraced port adelaide, has shared all sorts of wisdom and humour with us, and he now extends his hand of friendship to one of the faithful in a very practical way. All “power” to you Gremio - I hope we can repay the hospitality one day :moustache:

What a terrific example of human international connection via BigFooty PAFC style.

Gremio you are a marvel, as already proclaimed on facebook.

When are you landing in Hong Kong?

More pics (not in chronological order):

IMG_20180717_210711355.jpg
"How can a bowl of rice be a dessert dish?"

IMG_20180718_174929602.jpg
"I must tell dad that I have just found a future small forward for Port..."

IMG_20180718_202101504.jpg
"GremioPower's Barbecue Special"

IMG_20180718_184812629_LL.jpg
"Aussie stranger, the path into this lift passes through me. En garde!"

IMG_20180717_200138918.jpg
"Is it me, or does this mate indeed look like Jack Watts?"

Last edited:
GP Junior: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Aussie Stranger: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
images

More pics (not in chronological order):

View attachment 529396
"How can a bowl of rice be a dessert dish?"

View attachment 529398
"I must tell dad that I have just found a future small forward for Port..."

View attachment 529399
"GremioPower's Barbecue Special"

View attachment 529401
"Aussie stranger, the path into this lift passes through me. En garde!"

View attachment 529402
"Is it me, or does this mate indeed look like Jack Watts?"

Nice pics again GP, if you can't get 1992 back to eating meat with that sensational looking barbeque then no-one can, he looks like he has lost about 5 kg's on his vegan diet. ;)

Re the Jack Watts comparison I was thinking more like Jared Polec, and there is a rumour he is heading north, but I didn't think it would be that far north, and re the future small Port forward bit, you're young bloke may be too big for that role already. :rolleyes:

Nice pics again GP, if you can't get 1992 back to eating meat with that sensational looking barbeque then no-one can, he looks like he has lost about 5 kg's on his vegan diet. ;)

Re the Jack Watts comparison I was thinking more like Jared Polec, and there is a rumour he is heading north, but I didn't think it would be that far north, and re the future small Port forward bit, you're young bloke may be too big for that role already. :rolleyes:
Tell him his vegan diet is responsible for premature balding :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm blaming that on his mother's side of the family, apparently her father went the same way, while mine still has most of his at not quite 97. ;)
I blame my father for mine. Shits me that my (2 years younger) brother still has his hair, where as mine started going 15 years ago. :mad: At least he's sporting the keg for summer, whilst I have the six-pack :p

I just dropped 1992 at the bus station. It was a short, but intense stay. I will keep posting pictures, when I get those he has on his phone.

IMG_20180719_111405960.jpg
"More than just fun and games"

IMG_20180719_112613944.jpg
"Footy at GremioPower's Oval"

IMG_20180720_014300439_LL.jpg
"Saint Peter's Gate — the entrance of civilization"

IMG_20180720_013333094.jpg
"Barbarian Bus"

I just dropped 1992 at the bus station. It was a short, but intense stay. I will keep posting pictures, when I get those he has on his phone.

View attachment 529840

View attachment 529844

View attachment 529845

View attachment 529846
"Barbarian Bus"

That first pic must be someone else G P because 1992 never even went into my garden, but I hope he followed his old man's coaching instructions to the letter in that 2nd pic re guiding the footy onto his boot and then making contact with his foot taut and toes pointed down, before banging it straight through the high diddle diddle.
Like no doubt many on the site I was a fairly ordinary player who struggled to get the footy, but geez I would have made a great coach. ;)

Being serious for a moment, I know that 1992 was overwhelmed by you and your family's sensational hospitality, and on behalf of the other members of my family thank you very much. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
That first pic must be someone else G P because 1992 never even went into my garden, but I hope he followed his old man's coaching instructions to the letter in that 2nd pic re guiding the footy onto his boot and then making contact with his foot taut and toes pointed down, before banging it straight through the high diddle diddle.
Like no doubt many on the site I was a fairly ordinary player who struggled to get the footy, but geez I would have made a great coach. ;)

Being serious for a moment, I know that 1992 was overwhelmed by you and your family's sensational hospitality, and on behalf of the other members of my family thank you very much. :thumbsu:

View attachment 529840

View attachment 529844

View attachment 529845

View attachment 529846
"Barbarian Bus"

View attachment 529840

View attachment 529844

View attachment 529845

View attachment 529846
"Barbarian Bus"

Back to Corrientes to teach those `Barbarians ' English. ;)

Back to Corrientes to teach those `Barbarians ' English. ;)
What a great human being you have helped raise, 1954! I have 10 years, a wife, and two kids on him, but he is more mature than I am. Congratulations!

I hope my kids may grow up resembling 1992. It was fantastic having him around for those few days. He can come again; there is no need for invitation. Our home is always open to our friends.

What a great human being you have helped raise, 1954! I have 10 years, a wife, and two kids on him, but he is more mature than I am. Congratulations!

I hope my kids may grow up resembling 1992. It was fantastic having him around for those few days. He can come again; there is no need for invitation. Our home is always open to our friends.

Thankyou for the positive comments GP :thumbsu:, there are/were 5 school teachers in the family who got there the conventional way, but none of them gave up a reasonably well paid and secure job to go the volunteer route via teaching English to Buddhist monks in Laos, and then little kids in Denpasar, before landing his first paid gig in the far north of Argentina.

He's a top lad. :)

I have written an account of the visit here. I just read it again this week for no reason.

I miss 1992. He stayed for a couple days only, but it was great:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back