US December hardware sales

Remove this Banner Ad

whelan=legend,

who give a ****?!?!?

Second that!

I have both PS3 and XBox 360. I don't have a preference. I have HD-DVD too and watch both formats of movies.

I couldn't give a s**t how many of each console is sold. I use both and enjoy both. Neither are going out of business anytime soon. Quit being ****ing fanboys on both sides! :rolleyes:

I dont think you understood me, if the PS3 was the real thing, it should have blitzed a stop gap solution such as the 360 over christmas time am i right?

The PS3 is yet to fire a shot software wise. I'm surprised it's even doing as well as it is considering the only "big-name" title they've dropped is Ratchet and Clank (which is more 'cult' than 'big-name' anyway).

Stop gap doesn't mean the 360 is bad. It just means it won't have a long life. I think anyone who has played both systems would agree the 360 has released the better games to date, which is unsurprising as it has less time left and has been on the market longer.

But if the PS3 can be doing this well when faxed with all the big titles 360 released, and has yet to release it's franchise titles itself, well, I'm more than a little confident that once GT5, FF13, MGS4, Tekken etc all come out that it will be streets ahead.

It was about this far into the 360's life cycle that Gears of War came out. Before that there wasn't exactly a huge collection of must-haves for 360. In fact even now I can't even think of 5 must-have titles for 360.

Patience is a virtue, and Sony have played it pretty well by sewing up the Hi-Def market - once the big titles start hitting the shelves I predict you'll soon see the announcement of a blu-ray compatible, Full HD, HDD standard Xbox coming out in 2009.

I don't have Europe figures on hand, but I do have Japan.

First number is last week's sales. Second number is total sales since launch.

Handhelds

NDS - 97,369 | 21,536,988
PSP - 96,159 | 7,915,987

Consoles
WII - 84,530 | 4,908,487
PS3 - 38,907 | 1,744,766
PS2 - 14,499 | 20,973,546
360 - 4,690 | 521,794

Nintendo currently has the Japanese videogame industry firmly in the palm of their hand.

I'm starting to wonder about Japan as an industry though. See how Square have announced they feel more money is to be made by simply making sequels and remakes of past games (sidenote: they also mentioned a PS3 remake of FF7 is no longer definitely NOT going to happen - could be huge :))?

Japan seems to be in a real nostalgic phase of gaming at the moment and it's definitely good to see Nintendo dominating as they have. It's important to have that third company in there.

I'm starting to wonder about Japan as an industry though. See how Square have announced they feel more money is to be made by simply making sequels and remakes of past games (sidenote: they also mentioned a PS3 remake of FF7 is no longer definitely NOT going to happen - could be huge :))?

Japan seems to be in a real nostalgic phase of gaming at the moment and it's definitely good to see Nintendo dominating as they have. It's important to have that third company in there.

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, the DS (and to a lesser extent the Wii) have expanded the market to new demographics, which is why titles like Brain Training, Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are through the roof, total videogame sales volume has increased greatly. A whole country doesn't go through a 'nostalgic phase'.

I'm sure Japan is worried about your 'concern' for the industry.

Since when is sequelitis limited to Japan... Halo 3 ring any bells? Call of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto IV? All western games.

What about the PS3's big upcoming exclusives... MGS4, Gran Turismo 5 and Killzone 2? These are all sequels... does this 'concern' you too?

Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, the DS (and to a lesser extent the Wii) have expanded the market to new demographics, which is why titles like Brain Training, Animal Crossing and Wii Fit are through the roof, total videogame sales volume has increased greatly. A whole country doesn't go through a 'nostalgic phase'.

I'm sure Japan is worried about your 'concern' for the industry.

Since when is sequelitis limited to Japan... Halo 3 ring any bells? Call of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto IV? All western games.

What about the PS3's big upcoming exclusives... MGS4, Gran Turismo 5 and Killzone 2? These are all sequels... does this 'concern' you too?

When did I say I was concerned?

My only concern is hopefully getting a remake of FF7

When did I say I was concerned?

My only concern is hopefully getting a remake of FF7

I interpreted you "starting to wonder" about their industry had left you concerned.

I'd rather a Chrono Trigger remake myself!

Famitsu is reporting that the Wii has just cracked the 5 million units sold mark in Japan and has claimed the record as the quickest console to achieve the 5 million taking only 55 weeks. The previous record holder was the PS2 which took 66 weeks.

This year will be the telling point - the X360 sales are dropping s/w and hard ware and the ps3 is selling well. I know in my store i am starting to order more units of new releases on the ps3 than on the x360. The xbox needs a killer app right now.

dont shoot me i love all my consoles.

This year will be the telling point - the X360 sales are dropping s/w and hard ware and the ps3 is selling well.
Did you not see the opening post?:confused:

I know in my store i am starting to order more units of new releases on the ps3 than on the x360.
Considering the games per console ratio on PS3 is one of the worst in history (with it being bought soley as a bluray player by many people) that would have to be a very stupid move.

The xbox needs a killer app right now.
Youre kidding me right?

well maybe i forgot the 1st post - mmmmm so what - i am human.

Yes I do order more games for the ps3 - Sales of the S/w for the 360 have declined - scoff if u like but its a part of my job to keep an eye on this stuff - was even said by my EA rep about the same thing. I have worked in retail long enuth (21 yrs) to know you order what sells. We sell more Ps3s than x360s these days. Cal of duty 4 is still going gang busters on the ps3 but the 360 version has slowed, same with asassins creed as well. Maybe its a trend that will change and i will adjust my buying accordingly. Remember you guy by Aust sales figures not over seas ones when you work out our market.

What i meant by the X360 needing a killer ap is that right now it needs a Halo or similar exlusive title to boost it along. GTA will give both systems a spike.

You dont have to agree with me and that is fine. Just in case you are wondering i run the games dept of a store that has over 140 stores and we run at about 4 or 5th in the country for our games area. I Have to keep an eye on what is happnin - I am not always right - overbought the ps3 version of Gutar hero 3 compared to the others versions and i didnt pick up on how damn popular the stupid hight school musical game would be.

Peace

Cal of duty 4 is still going gang busters on the ps3 but the 360 version has slowed, same with asassins creed as well. Maybe its a trend that will change and i will adjust my buying accordingly. Remember you guy by Aust sales figures not over seas ones when you work out our market.
Yeah i respect your position and all, but the facts are just wrong, maybe your stores different?

Aussie sales charts
http://palgn.com.au/article.php?m=SalesCharts&sid=093ef6d9b6841f1a34a90c444fa390f4

COD4 for 360 is overall second, while PS3 version doesnt make top ten. 3 360 games in top ten compared to PS3 one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what? PS3 has all of the big titles still coming.

Get ready for the sales to explode when the likes of MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, God of War III, SOCOM 4, Driver 5, Tekken 6, Haze etc. etc all hit the market. PS3 will absolute destroy the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back