USA US Dems in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Vallas' career overseeing school departments across the US (in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Connecticut) established him as a go-to man for the privatisation of public schools and elevation of charter schools. The Chicago Teachers Union are very much supporting Johnson and very much opposing Vallas.

What's drawing you to Vallas?
I am a moderate Democrat. Chicago needs a mayor who is tougher on crime. That's what Vallas offered(or at least was shown to offer). The CPS system is a basket case. Interesting to see the neighbourhoods won by each candidate. I'm surprised that Johnson didn't win more wards on the Southside. Lightfoot won most of that area. Garcia won the Westside as expected. Vallas won the Northside and parts of the deep Southside. Johnson won the Northwest wards. That's the part I find interesting. I'm not sure of the demographics of that area.

My home was about 40km directly west of The Loop, so the city of Chicago politics was always like a foreign land. Until the last ten years my area was solid Republican. It now is a somewhat rather safe Democratic area due to the shifting population from the city itself.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking at things OTHER than Biden in the upcoming elections.:winkv1:

First up is California. Feinstein is looking to go again. WTF? She initialed some paperwork, but no formal announcement. Corporate stooge par excellence, cognitively past it, and very conservative.
Katie Porter has declared for Feinstein's Senate seat. She's gone viral with her intelligent and incisive grilling of corporate witnesses at hearings. Smart, energetic, and progressive. Oops, that last one may give her some problems with the DNCCC. They spend more money fighting progressives than Repubs. Some MSM has already fired shots at her. The View opining she should get permission from Feinstein or other Dem leaders first. There will be more. It will be interesting to see which way MSNBC goes.

Classic match up; powerful and stale vs young and sharp. Porter should clean up if it's done in public debates and speeches. But in the backroom, some Dems will have to show real leadership to buck the entrenched corporate interests in the party, in order for her to win.

I like Porter. She's the type of new blood the government needs. New energy, intelligent enough to make dogmatic decisions, and so far unbeholden to big donors. But this could also be a classic case of the Dems shooting themselves by going back to the swamp.

Feinstein was pretty awful even when her mind was functioning, so agreed on the need to be done with her.

Katie Porter though...

Last month 15 Democratic House members traveled to Israel as part of a delegation sponsored by the liberal Zionist group J Street. According to a new Jewish Insider interview with Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA), the congresswoman pushed the delegation to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and was “extremely impressed with his willingness to..grapple with us [on] some of the toughest issues that Israel’s facing.”

Barbara Lee the standout of those who've nominated so far. Not young, but what of it? The only Member of Congress brave enough to vote against giving Bush the extremely broad powers to wage war during the War on Terror, she's principled.

They appear to be in big trouble unless they can weekend at Bernie's a 400 year old Biden out again.

Let's review the realistic-ish alternatives:

Harris - Such a bad candidate she had to drop out before even Iowa iirc. I agree absolutely 0 chance to win a national election.

Buttigieg - Awful numbers with minority voters which are a huge part of the Dem base, having possibly the worst run as transport secretary in living memory and as a bonus he's gay which will rile up the nutbag god botherers (which the U.S. is absolutely stacked with) to no end and maybe drive up turnout on the margins.

Newsom maybe? - has been making some moves ostensibly in the direction of running recently. Not sure about his nationwide appeal.

AOC - she would be great fun to watch but absolutely no chance nationwide

Bernie - feels like his time has passed. Not as if he's really a 'younger' alternative if Biden has been deemed too old.

I really don't see where they can go from here. Newsom maybe the most likely but none of those options scream 'winner'. Still a long time to go though, someone unexpected might pop up.
Dont see how buttigiegs bad numbers with minority voters would matter for a general election against trump or desantis.

They turned up for biden out of anger for the other guy. They will turn up for buttigieg.
???
Biden had the best minority numbers of all 2020 dem candidates, black voters in particular (possibly due to association with Obama but the reason doesn't matter).

They literally won him the primary by turning out in South Carolina. His campaign was in the toilet before that.

???
Biden had the best minority numbers of all 2020 dem candidates, black voters in particular (possibly due to association with Obama but the reason doesn't matter).

They literally won him the primary by turning out in South Carolina. His campaign was in the toilet before that.
Sorry i was thinking of far left progressive voters. They rocked up for biden despite not supporting Him. Cant see why minorities wouldnt do the same for buttigieg. Its all about stopping the worse guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting ad - hits all the talking points .

I took notice of it but I wonder if the uncommitted hear it

Why not declare and be done with it
Plenty of time I think. Watched US news and said he was traveling around different (Red) states with his message.

Not much donated but not bad for a couple of hours.

How he was married to Guilfoyle is a real head scratcher.

A "progressive" Democrat, Brandon Johnson, was just elected mayor of Chicago over "moderate" Democrat Paul Vallas 51.4% to 48.6%. Oh well...

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s pretty funny.

His cousin is the beautiful singer-songwriter Joanna Newsom, who is married to Andy Samberg.

Anyway, Gavin’s not the answer, and I’d be surprised to see him have any substantial national support.
Gavin strikes me as exactly the sort of person who'd end up with the nomination after a protracted s**t slinging match in the democratic primaries. It's a worry, but given the exceedingly low bar the republicans have set the democrats are likely to regress even further back to the centre after Biden and Joe, despite his moments, is definitely not left wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back