US Federal Government Resumes Executions After 17 Years

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Numbers for the United States since 1976

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-...-united-states-from-1977-by-state-and-by-year
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/execut...-of-executions-by-state-and-region-since-1976
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/innocence/innocence-by-the-numbers

8,734 sentenced to death, 1522 executed, 170 exonerated.

Of cases which have a resolution the mistake rate sits at almost exactly 10%.

Those numbers along are reason enough for its annulment.
I think the reasoning is that if you convict and execute as fast as possible then there is no point in exoneration so the 'mistake' rate falls to 0%

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
I think the reasoning is that if you convict and execute as fast as possible then there is no point in exoneration so the 'mistake' rate falls to 0%
Sounds a bit like "can't have any positive cases if we don't do any testing"

Out of interest are any executed prisoners exonerated after death or is the execution case closed for good? Only did a very quick check on Googs and it was just linking me data related to living people exonerated.

Sounds a bit like "can't have any positive cases if we don't do any testing"

Out of interest are any executed prisoners exonerated after death or is the execution case closed for good? Only did a very quick check on Googs and it was just linking me data related to living people exonerated.

looks like its not cleanly displayed

best I found was this specific wiki page, but its missing stuff i saw on other links

Apr 16, 2007
Warragul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Executing even 'very few' innocent people is far too high a price to pay. We gain nothing from killing people, so why do it?
No one that has been executed has ever re offended! Plus we make another jail cell empty for the next scum bag to occupy.
Plus we save a fortune on having to feed them till they die. One trial one appeal then get rid of them.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No one that has been executed has ever re offended! Plus we make another jail cell empty for the next scum bag to occupy.
Plus we save a fortune on having to feed them till they die. One trial one appeal then get rid of them.
If your argument is that countries spend too much money on prisoners, that doesn't mean executing them is a way to reduce that cost, because the trial and appeal process for anyone sentenced to death is long and very expensive. If you really do want it reduced to "one trial one appeal" then there's a greater chance for innocent people to be wrongfully executed. Is that okay with you?

I think the better way to reduce costs is to reduce the number of prisoners, firstly by decriminalising any non-violent drug crimes, secondly by sending more of the remaining non-violent offenders into community service rather than prison. I've often thought that justice systems are too harsh on non-violent crime and too lenient on violent and sexual crime. The entire point of prison to me is to keep the truly dangerous away. There are other ways to discourage recidivism.

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
Plenty of people have taken multiple appeals to get justice. I suggest you maybe read about Jon Burge and the midnight crew in Chicago.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
I've often thought that justice systems are too harsh on non-violent crime and too lenient on violent and sexual crime.
White collar crime gets a good run as well IMO.

Take the example of Australian Capital Reserve who went bust in 2007 owing around $300M. Some of the people they rinsed lost their life savings. The guys involved shifted their assets to their wives and in the end only had to serve ICO's.

It might not be violent crime but this sort of crime does ruin lives.

But we all know why this sort of crime gets a relative feather duster across the hand.

https://www.propertyobserver.com.au...y-criminals-plead-guilty-and-cry-poverty.html

When it collapsed, these 7,000 note holders were owed more than $300 million. Since the deed of company arrangement its creditors have received a total of 49.4¢ on the dollar, just short of the estimated return to its unsecured note holders of 59¢ on the dollar. Further distributions are forecast until July 2013.

It was reported in 2008 that Pogson had no assets, other than a bicycle. His 1890s family home, Havelock (pictured), which was owned by his wife, was sold for $3.85 million in 2008 having cost $3.9 million in 2003. Similarly, Lapham advised he had no assets other than two leased cars. He also lived in a multimillion-dollar home owned by his wife. The latest ASIC filings for Pogson and his wife give their address as one of the two Turramurra houses bought by Lapham’s wife in 2009.

https://www.moneymanagement.com.au/...ralian-capital-reserve-directors-found-guilty

The court sentenced Pogson and Lapham each to two years imprisonment to be served by ICO, commencing 21 March 2012 until 20 March 2014. Pogson was sentenced to an additional one-year term as a result of his charge under the Corporations Act, the regulator stated.

Martin was sentenced to one year and four months ICO-based imprisonment, spanning from 21 March 2012 until 20 July 2013.

Not worth its own thread so I'll bump this instead.

A bit of noteworthy death penalty-related news out of the US is that Virginia is about to abolish capital punishment.

Why is this a tad more significant than others that have done so in recent years? Let us look at recent abolitionist (this does not include states that have moratoriums like California, Oregon, Pennsylvania and now Ohio, or states that do not in practice use it despite having it on their books, like Kansas) states and how many executions they've had since 1976:

Colorado (2020) - 2
New Hampshire (2019) - 0
Washington (2018) - 5
Delaware (2016) - 16
Maryland (2013) - 5
Connecticut (2012) - 1
Illinois (2011) - 12
New Mexico (2009) - 1
New Jersey (2007) - 0
New York (2004) - 0

So ten states have abolished it since 2004, but those ten accounted for only 42 of the 1532 executions in the US since 1976.

What's Virginia's equivalent number? 113. They are second only behind Texas since 1976 for executions. They are a state that has deployed it enthusiastically and are now turning their back on the practice, and that is very much worth noting. There are similar moves afoot in Ohio now too, although being a red-controlled state, this will be a good deal harder to push through.

The winds though, they are a-blowin'...

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
If you abolish prisons and police as advocated by the Black Lives Matter movement, how do you deal with people like this?
Well what it does is gets people who are easily lead and lack any sort of critical thinking facilities to out their feculence on social media and forums.

They parrot whatever idiotic s**t they have heard on fox/ sky etc without giving it a milliseconds thought or perhaps googling - do people really want to get rid of the police and prisons

Or do they want to take SOME MONEY from the police budget and SOME MONEY from the prison budget

And spend that money on a mental health unit instead - so when some guy is having a psychotic episode - instead of ten policemen with guns (ten hammers seeing a nail) - you have a trained mental health professional talking to him - with a couple of policemen as backup.

And when the mental health professional ...

(instead of 10 cops having guns drawn and screaming “get your hands up a-hole or ill fuccccccn shoot - get your hands up now” )

.....talks the guy down - they take him to a mental health facility instead of a jail.

So basically instead of a hundred cops - we have 90 cops and 10 mental health professionals

Instead of 100 prison beds

We have 90 prison beds and 10 mental health beds

Sorta like what we had in the 70’s and 80’s before conservative governments threw severely mentally ill people out of asylums and on the streets and consequently into jail - as somehow that saved money.....

Defund doesnt mean get rid of - defund means redirect some of the money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An innocent man murdered by American authorities.

Compare and contrast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back