US Federal Government Resumes Executions After 17 Years

Remove this Banner Ad

Only problem with their death penalty is that it's too expensive. They need to find a way to streamline the process so that it is much cheaper and quicker. A lot of mass killers are confirmed as guilty from the start with video footage, so where's the issue? Pay the local vet clinic $5 for a syringe full of green dreams and off ya go. Stop complicating everything!

Only problem with their death penalty is that it's too expensive. They need to find a way to streamline the process so that it is much cheaper and quicker. A lot of mass killers are confirmed as guilty from the start with video footage, so where's the issue? Pay the local vet clinic $5 for a syringe full of green dreams and off ya go. Stop complicating everything!

Here ya go:

You're a man of faith aren't you? Isn't it god alone that has the right to take life?
Even though I don’t support the death penalty I know why they’ve reintroduced it in the US. Pedophiles and people who deal in child trafficking better watch out.

Even though I don’t support the death penalty I know why they’ve reintroduced it in the US. Pedophiles and people who deal in child trafficking better watch out.
It was never abolished, people continued to be sentenced to death at a federal level, it was just that the executions themselves had ceased. Like quite a large number of states there that have it on their books and continue to pass death sentences, but don't carry out executions.

1) Plenty of examples of killers exactly like this getting parole many years down the track only to offend again. 2) It costs a fortune to keep air wasters like this in prison. 3) It's a deterent. 4) I confess I do like the thought that these people might experience the fear of the same fate they gave their victims. 5) leaving them in prison is at risk of these people being "humanised" by others.
One such person is Keith Ryrie. Sentenced to hang for the rape and murder of a 5 year old girl (Rhonda Irwin on the banks of the Yarra River in Burnley) in 1966. Because of the public outcry from the hanging of Ronald Ryan 2/2/1967, Ryrie was the next man to be scheduled to meet the noose got his sentenced commuted. He was sentenced to death for the Irwin murder but as he was also charged with the murder of a 15 year old in Holmesglen (Maureen Ferrari). Ryrie had followed her home from the train station. Ferrari was in her school uniform and returning from school. He wasn't tried for her murder. Well he was going to hang anyway.

Ryrie was released in 1993 then about ten years later used a shotgun to kill a 29 yo single mother in Frankston after she fled her house and was shot at the front door of her neighbours. Ryrie's defence was he wanted to show he his gun and it accidentally went off.

1) Plenty of examples of killers exactly like this getting parole many years down the track only to offend again. 2) It costs a fortune to keep air wasters like this in prison. 3) It's a deterent. 4) I confess I do like the thought that these people might experience the fear of the same fate they gave their victims. 5) leaving them in prison is at risk of these people being "humanised" by others.
1) instead of killing them you don't let them out of prison 2) it costs more to kill them 3) it has never been proven to be a deterrent 4) Revenge for the sake of revenge should not be part of any justice system 5) I'm not sure what this means, are you suggesting that remorse is something that should be avoided at all costs?

Plus I'd add that the risk of executing an innocent person is too great.

1) instead of killing them you don't let them out of prison 2) it costs more to kill them 3) it has never been proven to be a deterrent 4) Revenge for the sake of revenge should not be part of any justice system 5) I'm not sure what this means, are you suggesting that remorse is something that should be avoided at all costs?

Plus I'd add that the risk of executing an innocent person is too great.
On 1), I’m 32. If I’d just been convicted of murder and I had a choice of either spending 40 years to life in jail in some maximum security joint or being executed after say 12-15 years, I reckon I’d choose the latter. I reckon a lot of those cons would come to choose death as the more preferable option. Life in jail ain’t much of an existence.

So there’s a fair argument that locking up and throwing away the key is actually a more severe penalty.

Powerful article by Steve Earle on the death penalty.

He was a scum bag who murdered 2 people. It’s good that they killed him. Should be lots more if it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be one trial and one appeal and then zap
Them the next day. The legal system is a farce thanks to all the do gooders who want to give everyone multiple chances!

On 1), I’m 32. If I’d just been convicted of murder and I had a choice of either spending 40 years to life in jail in some maximum security joint or being executed after say 12-15 years, I reckon I’d choose the latter. I reckon a lot of those cons would come to choose death as the more preferable option. Life in jail ain’t much of an existence.

So there’s a fair argument that locking up and throwing away the key is actually a more severe penalty.
But do they ever throw away the key apart from very exceptional cases. A lot of scumbags seem to get out and then re offend.

He was a scum bag who murdered 2 people. It’s good that they killed him. Should be lots more if it.
Are you the same person you where in 1986? If you believe as I do that prisons should be places of rehabilitation and that very few are beyond that then it's impossible to support capital punishment.

Are you the same person you where in 1986? If you believe as I do that prisons should be places of rehabilitation and that very few are beyond that then it's impossible to support capital punishment.
I’m sure I have changed since 1986 but I never killed anyone then nor since. I 100 percent support capital punishment. So what about mass murderers or multiple rapists? You don’t agree that they have forfeited the right to live?

" Lee was executed with multiple motions in his case still pending, and without notice to his attorneys. "

My guess is they wanted to make a political statement to show the US fed gov is tough on crime. Lawyers and politicians wanting a "win" to show their people.

Alarm bells

It’s a reasonable question addressed in the 2012 N+1 essay by Christopher Glazek and pertinent to current politics.

The NRA owns private prisons

Should be one trial and one appeal and then zap
Them the next day. The legal system is a farce thanks to all the do gooders who want to give everyone multiple chances!
How many innocent people are you happy to accidentally kill for every guilty one?

Not too many innocent people have ever been executed so the answer to your question is very few.

Executing even 'very few' innocent people is far too high a price to pay. We gain nothing from killing people, so why do it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back