• Aryna Sabalenka

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Iga Swiatek

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other (Women)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You think that's just down to fit healthy young athletes not concerned about covid ? As data suggests it won't really hurt them that much anyways.

No idea on that probably a bit of both.

So looking at the remaining events it seems the big tournaments left are Indian Wells ? Paris ? and the season end finals ? Looks like a fair chunk of the Asian swing is canned ?

So looking at the remaining events it seems the big tournaments left are Indian Wells ? Paris ? and the season end finals ? Looks like a fair chunk of the Asian swing is canned ?

Correct postponed till next year where very little restrictions are meant to be in place

I'm pretty rooted today, but it was worth it for Stosur, Alcott and WolfBear. Happy times.

Agreed, I've never seen Novak smash a racquet as he did then. Neither were at their best but hard finals between those two is good for tennis.

Just watched the replay. Alas, I think in future, I have to get up as knowing the time is a killer.

So happy for Medvedev. The guy is a character. The guy has been a beast on hardcourt since his final loss at US Open 19. Not sure about world number 1. He is average on clay and grass. And, though Novak was below his best, he learned from the Aus Open and was ready for Novak. That is so important. Huge serving(15 aces I think it was, against NOVAK!!!!), massive 2nd serves and barely gave up a point on serve in that first set. IIRC, Novak did 2 things in Aus, a short slice and attacked the serve.

Medvedev also didn't allow Novak to get into gear. In previous matches this tournament, Novak has dropped the first set and then his opponent would gift him a sniff and he took it. Medvedev almost gave him one and it would have been interesting he Novak got one of those 5 breakpoints in the 2nd set. And it was gutsy serving it out in front of that crowd. Massive balls to finally get the win. Medvedev is one of my favs; such a character.

Finally, we have a new grand slam winner who has beaten a big 3 player in the final.

Novak’s issue was flipping sets to Neville nobodies earlier which just make it 100 times worse. That said Medvedev played one of the best matches against Novak over 5 sets. Novak wasn’t let to play well and as a Novak fan sometimes you have to say “too good”. Doesn’t happen often but he was well and truely outplayed

Was cooked after stupidly going to the Olympics, I said it before and I will say it again chasing the Olympic medal was beyond stupid.

Signs were bad in early rounds, was losing sets all over the place and then almost flopped the match to midget Zverev

Meanwhile Medvedev got the draw of the Century and was fresh as a daisy.

I'm actually not as disappointed as I thought I'd be.

Wasn't the case with Alcott.

Australia's vaccine passport situation will be interesting for the AO, the top 4 players in the world are all unvaccinated.

I'll be surprised if the reality of exclusion/non-invitation to certain events doesn't suddenly change most players minds and if they're on commercial flights good luck even being allowed on a plane without being vaccinated...

Wasn't the case with Alcott.
This is an irrelevant comparison. Go and have a look how many matches Alcott has played at each of the grand slams and olympics this year.
Australian Open - 3 matches
French Open - 2 matches
Wimbledon - 2 matches
Tokyo Olympics - 4 matches
US Open - 3 matches
Alcott quad singles GS and olympics matches 2021 - 14 (best of 3 sets)
Djokovic singles GS and olympic matches 2021 - 33 (majority best of 5 sets)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was cooked after stupidly going to the Olympics, I said it before and I will say it again chasing the Olympic medal was beyond stupid.

Signs were bad in early rounds, was losing sets all over the place and then almost flopped the match to midget Zverev

Meanwhile Medvedev got the draw of the Century and was fresh as a daisy.

I'm actually not as disappointed as I thought I'd be.

Tokyo wasn't the difference today

Tokyo wasn't the difference today

He looked tired the whole tournament. Might have still lost as Medvedev played outstanding. But Novak shouldn’t be flipping sets in rounds 1-3. He looked tired all through the tournament.

Novak loves the Olympics, his country and he saw history. It might have been "stupid" but YOLO.

The big 3 have always "struggled" more at the US Open than any other major. It wouldn't shock me if we get the same result if he went to the Olympics or not. A grand slam is hard. The fact he got within 3 matches of a Golden Slam is outstanding in itself. Reckon that will be the closest we get to a Golden Slam for singles in men or women for several lifetimes.

Makes Steffi Graf all the more special. Crazy she did it at 19. Special player, who was before my time.

btw, way to go, Dylan Alcott and Diede de Groot. Wheelchair tennis may not have the same "competition" as able body athletes do but you can only beat who is in front of you and they have been dominant.

Novak loves the Olympics, his country and he saw history. It might have been "stupid" but YOLO.

The big 3 have always "struggled" more at the US Open than any other major. It wouldn't shock me if we get the same result if he went to the Olympics or not. A grand slam is hard. The fact he got within 3 matches of a Golden Slam is outstanding in itself. Reckon that will be the closest we get to a Golden Slam for singles in men or women for several lifetimes.

Makes Steffi Graf all the more special. Crazy she did it at 19. Special player, who was before my time.

btw, way to go, Dylan Alcott and Diede de Groot. Wheelchair tennis may not have the same "competition" as able body athletes do but you can only beat who is in front of you and they have been dominant.

Trust me I understood why he played the Olympics but it hurt his chances at the US. Totally get it he loves playing the Olympics though. However by not playing does he win the US…who knows honestly but he looked flipping tired from r1. It wasn’t the final it was every match prior hitting a trash load of UE’s and losing sets to players he really shouldn’t have. He probably played maybe 4-5 sets of actual Novak style sets the whole tournament. Looked exhausted. Needs a good 6 weeks off. Hope he doesn’t play till the Year End tournament

He looked tired the whole tournament. Might have still lost as Medvedev played outstanding. But Novak shouldn’t be flipping sets in rounds 1-3. He looked tired all through the tournament.

If 3 weeks between events isn't enough time to rest then you aren't winning the slam anyways in my view.

If 3 weeks between events isn't enough time to rest then you aren't winning the slam anyways in my view.

Sounds like excuses from NovakDjokovicNo1.

It is funny coming here and posting nearly a week after Meds winning the US Open was really pleased for him and loved his speech and celebration.
Novak was way too nervous and emotionally spent, I really felt for him when he broke down and cried. I actually like Novak and get what he is trying to do. The world needs different ideas and thinking outside the box.

On covid we do not know other people's medical history, there maybe good reasons why people don't want to get vaccinated and they may not just want too. Please don't judge people on their choices.

On the New York crowd they love late nights and really get into it. For some reason I really didn't mind the crowd this year and I certainly didn't miss certain players not playing.

Hoping Novak gets to 21 at next Aus Open he really deserves it.

Oh and the post about the plate Nadia snorted off friggin hilarious. I think Hingis has one of those also.

Back