Grand Slam US Open 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Here we are already. The last slam of the year in the big apple.

The draws are below. Some tidbits below

Men
Sinner and Carlos are in the same quarter. Not ideal for either player, especially Carlos. I can see a 5 set epic if they both get that far. Medvedev is in that half and could meet the winner.

Which means Novak has the whole other half to himself. Sure, he has Stefo, Ruud and Rune but all 3 are a step below in class and out of form. Novak should be the world number 1 again after these 2 weeks regardless of results.

The demon is in Medvedevs section. Would be a round of 16 match if both make it through. Most Aussies got a good draw.

Prediction.

Novak vs someone in the final. Sinnder at the quarter stage is very dangerous for Carlos. Probably one of the few players capable to beating the top 2, and especially at that stage where legs should still be fresh. Honestly, with this draw, I can easily see Medvedev making the final if Sinner does defeat Carlos.

NY is often a grind. I think the draw has helped the person who least needed it. Novak to win.

Womens
So much harder.

coco is in Swiatek quarter. Rybakina is in that half with Muchova(Storm Hunter first up). Which makes Sabalenka is all by herself in the other half. Yes, Ons is in Sabs quarter(that is nasty) and Jess Pegula is in her half(winner of Cinci but has a quarter-final curse at the slams), but they yeah, I think Sab should reach the final fresh and waiting.

I know her form is not great this US Swing, but I still think that draw has kept her away from Muchova at least.

1692945539426.jpeg

1692945515581.jpeg

Men's are bottom half Monday, top half Tuesday

Women's are top half Monday, bottom half Tuesday

Going to be an early morning Wednesday with all the Aussie men stacked in there. Pretty good draw for a lot of them.

Nine/Stan Sport for coverage.

Time differences generally make this the most difficult Slam to watch, but will certainly be following scores.

Time differences generally make this the most difficult Slam to watch, but will certainly be following scores.

Yeah night session is a good time though at least

Yeah it is but I actually don't mind the early mornings

Wimbledon with its late start times on centre. FO is not friendly with its night sessions now, but at least the mens semi-finals happen on a Friday Night.

It really depends on your sleep schedule. The US Open night matches are great if you have nothing to do for the day.

Wimbledon with its late start times on centre. FO is not friendly with its night sessions now, but at least the mens semi-finals happen on a Friday Night.

It really depends on your sleep schedule. The US Open night matches are great if you have nothing to do for the day.

For tennis purists we love the French open. Best slam by a mile

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the US. I like it's vibe. Come at me.

I agree. A good US Open night session might be of my favourite things in tennis

Nah, US is always the same time. Wimbledon is the one that overlaps with school holidays

So excited for this. Like Novak’s draw, and I like that Sinner is on a path to Alcaraz in the quarters, with Med lurking down the bottom with a soft draw. But I’ve learnt not too read too much into draws.

Eva Lys qualified, that’s amazing! Potapova’s form sucks but if she can somehow find form, I like her draw. And Mirra Andreeva vs Gauff looks like a 2nd round showdown on Ashe, but I can’t see Mirra getting close despite the fact the hype will be unreal.

So excited for this. Like Novak’s draw, and I like that Sinner is on a path to Alcaraz in the quarters, with Med lurking down the bottom with a soft draw. But I’ve learnt not too read too much into draws.

Eva Lys qualified, that’s amazing! Potapova’s form sucks but if she can somehow find form, I like her draw. And Mirra Andreeva vs Gauff looks like a 2nd round showdown on Ashe, but I can’t see Mirra getting close despite the fact the hype will be unreal.

Potapova always is terrible on hardcourt her movement or lack of is an issue, ditto Garcia, you need movement on a harcourt otherwise you get no timing.

Don't think so - when Lleyton won it he had a photo of him and the trophy taken on the top of the Twin Towers - a day before September 11.
Yeah, was getting it mixed up with Wimbledon.

I was in class on the Monday when Rafter won it (+ they put an announcement over the PA he'd won!)

Rune loses wow, that bottom quarter of bottom half is a mess.

Sakkari loses, another 1R exit. Another opening round exit too for Kostyuk, although did have another brutal draw against Rybakina.

And just me or have the US Open really improved their facilities? Seems like all the slams have put in significant work to improve. AO might have the best compliment of stadium courts, but our outside courts need work IMO.

Rune loses wow, that bottom quarter of bottom half is a mess.

Sakkari loses, another 1R exit. Another opening round exit too for Kostyuk, although did have another brutal draw against Rybakina.

And just me or have the US Open really improved their facilities? Seems like all the slams have put in significant work to improve. AO might have the best compliment of stadium courts, but our outside courts need work IMO.
Idk havent seen one minute of footage as yet, but one thing they can improve is their website. It is terrible.

Hijikata through to round 2. Good stuff.

Really gutsy match, Kotov had more power and his chances but Rinky grinded him down. plays the winner of Korda/Fucsovics who are in absolute battle.

Birrell/Brady this morning was the battle of believed in themselves less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back