Grand Slam US Open 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't love the squabbling between the three sets of fans, I feel we'll appreciate having those three plus your Murray, etc in the same era when it's over. I mean who is in the next era, Carlos and who, don't say Shelton. Sinner's body won't win slams, so who else is there? It looks such a weak era aside from Carlos.
Yeah in terms of style I actually prefer Federer to Nadal or Djokovic and kind of miss him now he's gone. Nothing against him personally, but I feel like he was always portrayed as the perfect gentleman, whereas his obvious saltiness/pettiness at times was overlooked while Djokers was highlighted. I think its normal to have some of that, its a competitive sport, but at least be more consistent. Also the crowds usually being so pro Federer or Nadal whenever they played others.

Yeah it just shows how far ahead the new big 2 are now. I think Sinner is the most promising of the new gen, should win at least a few. Meddy imo is at least a 4-5 slam player. I don't think Carlos will have the longevity/consistency as the big 3, but should win at least 10-15. Something Monica Seles like about him, though not a fair comparison given what happened to Monica, but just feel he'll peak young and decline once he's 26-27.

Yeah in terms of style I actually prefer Federer to Nadal or Djokovic and kind of miss him now he's gone. Nothing against him personally, but I feel like he was always portrayed as the perfect gentleman, whereas his obvious saltiness/pettiness at times was overlooked while Djokers was highlighted. I think its normal to have some of that, its a competitive sport, but at least be more consistent. Also the crowds usually being so pro Federer or Nadal whenever they played others.

Yeah it just shows how far ahead the new big 2 are now. I think Sinner is the most promising of the new gen, should win at least a few. Meddy imo is at least a 4-5 slam player. I don't think Carlos will have the longevity/consistency as the big 3, but should win at least 10-15. Something Monica Seles like about him, though not a fair comparison given what happened to Monica, but just feel he'll peak young and decline once he's 26-27.

Key with Carlos and to be fair he was better this year is getting his schedule right, he has to be very careful about overplaying going forward. I'm not sold on Sinner, his body is so fragile we saw that this year and that's even after a soft draw to get there. Med should win some HC Slams going forward.

Key with Carlos and to be fair he was better this year is getting his schedule right, he has to be very careful about overplaying going forward. I'm not sold on Sinner, his body is so fragile we saw that this year and that's even after a soft draw to get there. Med should win some HC Slams going forward.
Yeah it should be something that can be addressed. I like his style, I hope he brings back more net play into the game, but as long as Djoker is around gotta barrack for him.

Yeah it should be something that can be addressed. I like his style, I hope he brings back more net play into the game, but as long as Djoker is around gotta barrack for him.

Feel he needs to be careful with the Swing periods missing a tournament here and there is a good thing.

Incredible performance. Wow.

That half volley at BP at 3-4 in the second was unbelievable. Won him the match. He was looking tired, Medvedev was finding his groove, he drops that service game and I think the whole match changes. Just amazing mental toughness. S&V incredibly effective. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen Novak volley better than he did today.

#24. I’m tired of the how many will he get discussions. Every slam could be his last. You hear him talk in press conferences now and you know he’s not far away. He’s achieved everything, except for Olympic gold. That might be his last main goal, everything else he has. I’m not greedy, I’m not unrealistic, if he’s done winning then I couldn’t have asked for more. I soak up the wins even more now.

Incredible performance. Wow.

That half volley at BP at 3-4 in the second was unbelievable. Won him the match. He was looking tired, Medvedev was finding his groove, he drops that service game and I think the whole match changes. Just amazing mental toughness. S&V incredibly effective. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen Novak volley better than he did today.

#24. I’m tired of the how many will he get discussions. Every slam could be his last. You hear him talk in press conferences now and you know he’s not far away. He’s achieved everything, except for Olympic gold. That might be his last main goal, everything else he has. I’m not greedy, I’m not unrealistic, if he’s done winning then I couldn’t have asked for more. I soak up the wins even more now.

Yep look even if it’s his last Slam hit yo be happy with 24 slams. Hopefully gets to 26-27 or so. Feel he’s got one last year of peak then he’ll have one last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Djoko too good - boring final.
Why is the us open always the least interesting Slam?

There’s more surprise winners at the US than any other Slam. Realistically before the tournament it was either Novak or Carlos winning they are a mile ahead of the rest.

Djoko too good - boring final.
Why is the us open always the least interesting Slam?

Nah, there can be some amazing US Open's last few years including finals. yes, this year's wasn't the greatest but that's recency bias there.

Well done to Novak, not much else to say than he is just way too good. Yeah, the tie break was the turning point.

Also, if a set takes 104 minutes, maybe think about speeding up the court?

Nah, there can be some amazing US Open's last few years including finals. yes, this year's wasn't the greatest but that's recency bias there.

Well done to Novak, not much else to say than he is just way too good. Yeah, the tie break was the turning point.

Also, if a set takes 104 minutes, maybe think about speeding up the court?

Nothing wrong with the court speed this year not as if it is as bad as the AO which is turtle slow. Courts were average speed which is a happy medium anyway. Don’t want it too quick so it’s just a servebot contest

Maybe the balls need some work. That is as big of an issue as the court speeds.

The US should be slow, the Aus Open should be on fast hard courts. So, there is a difference between the 2. Loved in in 2017-ish when you had the older Zverev brother serving and volleying into the quarters and the big servers doing things at the Aus Open.

Nothing wrong with the court speed this year not as if it is as bad as the AO which is turtle slow. Courts were average speed which is a happy medium anyway. Don’t want it too quick so it’s just a servebot contest

But we want 104 minute sets?

Why not? Long rallies are way better than ace matches.

Give me variety any day of the week. One should be medium to fast, one should be slow to medium.

Not everything (including grass) be F***ing slow

Give me variety any day of the week. One should be medium to fast, one should be slow to medium.

Not everything (including grass) be F***ing slow

Think they got it right this year though, I agree with you we don't need ultra slow HC's, however this US Open was good, you got plenty of variety from the top 3 players (Med, Novak, Carlos). It's just the rest that are Generation Useless. Plenty of exciting and long rallies which were amazing to watch at the US Open.

Wasn’t a bad match.
The second set changed everything.

Alcaraz really has to be careful going forward.
Be selective, protect points where he can.
Feel like he ll go all out on the courts.

Wasn’t a bad match.
The second set changed everything.

Alcaraz really has to be careful going forward.
Be selective, protect points where he can.
Feel like he ll go all out on the courts.

This period between now and the YEC is so important for Carlos. he really shouldn't play more than 1 event before then, pretty sure Novak said he was doing that schedule. Carlos did it wrong the year prior and his body broke down.

This period between now and the YEC is so important for Carlos. he really shouldn't play more than 1 event before then, pretty sure Novak said he was doing that schedule. Carlos did it wrong the year prior and his body broke down.
No point either.
Play the ATP finals, rest and go for Aus Open.
Feel like he wants to push himself with Novak around. The Cincinnati Masters showed exactly that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back