Oct 3, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
Draw overnight
Men
#1 Roger Federer plays Ivo Minar in the first round, with Juan Carlos Ferrero and Radek Stepanek his most likely 4th round opponents
Nalbandian, Moya and Davydenko are in the next group of 16, along with Wayne Arthurs who starts against Davide Sanguinetti. El Aynaoui v Srichaphan another match to watch in that section.
3rd seed Lleyton Hewitt faces Albert Costa in the first round. Taylor Dent is his likely 3rd round opponent. Philippoussis has a pretty good draw if he can remember he's a tennis player. Kucera then Ferrer/Calleri, with Dominik Hrbaty in the 3rd round before Hewitt.
Henman, Ancic, Mirnyi and Safin are the seeds in the bottom quarter of the top half. Mathieu and Lee are others who could knock Henman out, there'll be a lot of aces in Safin's opener - he plays Popp
Coria, Lopez, Novak and Puerta are the seeds at the top of the second half, with players who have been seeded previously including Spadea, Soderling, Volandri, Gambill and Massu
Richard Gasquet starts against Mariano Puerta, Roddick starts against Muller at the other end of that section, with Tommy Haas a possible opponent for the A Rod in the 3rd.
In what may be his final tournament, Andre Agassi has drawn an unknown Romanian - Razvan Sabau in the first, with Karlovic and Fish to play to be his second round opponent. Youzhny and Gaudio are the seeds likely to fight it out to make the 4th round against Agassi
TJo is in Nadal's section down the bottom, but starts against Zabaleta, before Grosjean, then Kuerten or Robredo. Rusedski is back in the seeds, starting against James Blake who got in on a wildcard. Nadal plays wildcard, then wildcard/qualifier, then Rusedski, Blake, Igor Andreev or a qualifier

Peter Luczak is the only Aussie to get through the first round of qualifying with Healey, Guccione and Smeets losing in first sets, while Kimmich retired down 3-5 in the first. Scot Andrew Murray put the controversy about him failing to get a wildcard behind him to win in straight sets.

Women
New world number 1 Maria Sharapova has drawn Eleni Daniilidou first up, Lisa Raymond could cause trouble in the 3rd round if she can get past a qualifier and Penetta, then there's the inconsistent Safina and Molik on the comeback trail amongst the possible 4th round opponents.
Kuznetsova's the standout in the next section, with Petrova, Farina Elia and Vaidisova the other seeds. Nicole Pratt faces Akiko Morigami before Farina Elia or Granville.
Kim Clijsters gets a qualifier first, with Sugiyama and Bovina the biggest obstacles on her path to the quarters
The Williams sisters provide the framework for the last section of the top half. Venus has Fujiwara in the first, while Serena has drawn a qualifier. A resurgent Hantuchova and rising star Peng Shuai are the most likely to prevent an all Williams fourth round clash.
Henin-Hardenne and Pierce don't look to have too much competition in the next section, although Jankovic is seeded at 17.
Similar story for Myskina and Mauresmo in the next section, although Myskina could choke at any time, including to fellow choker Elena Likhovtseva in the 3rd.
The choker theme continues, with Elena Dementieva the top seed in the next eight. Conchita Martinez will be a tough opening opponent for Patty Schnyder at the other end.
Dechy faces Beltrame in round 1 and Smashnova may face Golovin in the 2nd. Sam Stosur starts against a qualifier, then Medina Garrigues or Sprem before Davenport gets in the way, in what may also be her final tournament.

The only Aussie in the women's qualifying, Evie Dominikovic, lost to Silvija Talaja 7-5 7-6 in the first round

Coverage on Fox Sports from 1am-3pm daily from Tuesday morning

Drummond said:
This is actually tennis mate, not golf. Tennis is a great sport, and American Football doesn't even get close.

Yeah good point I should have checked the first post :) .

Did Phillipousis qualify normally, or did he receive a WC? I understand his ranking is about 102 or 105 or something...

Luczak qualifies, and meets Tommy Haas 1st round.

Story with Poo's WC is that an American will be getting a WC into the Oz open, leaving 5 spots for Aussies with existing deals for a French player and an Asian player.

stmookeyj said:
Luczak qualifies, and meets Tommy Haas 1st round.

Story with Poo's WC is that an American will be getting a WC into the Oz open, leaving 5 spots for Aussies with existing deals for a French player and an Asian player.

Hope that Luczak does well this slam.

Weather Forecast for the Tennis is looking terrible

With Heavy Rain forecast for the first 3 to 4 days of the tennis. No doubt something to do with Hurricane Katrina currently in the Gulf of Mexico.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Safin is out, making Hewitt's draw much easier apart from that Federer bloke, with lucky loser Bjorn Phau taking his spot in the draw

Tonight's draw for the main courts:
Arthur Ashe:
Serena v someone from Taipei
Nadal v Bobby Reynolds
Venus v Fujiwara
Night session:
Sharapova v Daniilidou
Agassi v someone from Romania

Louis Armstrong:
Gambill v Massu
Clijsters
Kuznetsova
Haas v Luczak
Fish v Karlovic

2 other Aussies in action:
Pratt v Morigami second on court 10, Molik v Penny fourth

Others to watch:
Bracciali v Robredo 4th on court 6
Kremer v Raymond 3rd on court 8
Behrend v Bjorkman 4th on court 8
Soderling v Chela 3rd on court 13

from foxsports.com.au

Blake in fairy-tale finale
From correspondents in New Haven, Connecticut
August 29, 2005

JAMES Blake capped a remarkable run with a fairy-tale ending, capturing his first ATP title in three years today.

The 25-year-old American, unseeded at the hardcourt event, crawled back into the match for a dramatic 3-6 7-5 6-1 win over the fifth-seeded Spaniard Feliciano Lopez "I could not have dreamed better ending than his week," said Blake. "Everything clicked. I was feeling good all time."

Blake's only prior ATP title came at Washington in 2002. He missed most of last season with a condition called Zoster that affected his vision and hearing and temporarily paralysed one side of his face.

Blake, ranked 67th, reached his first ATP final since the illness earlier this month, losing to compatriot Andy Roddick in the Washington final.

Lopez, 23, was vying for his second ATP career title after winning last year at Vienna.

"The rain delay helped me," said Blake. "My coach gave me some advice. I regrouped and came back more focused."

When Blake and Lopez returned after a one-hour delay, the American shifted into another gear, breaking Lopez in the fourth game to go up 4-1.

The Spaniard scrapped back into the contest at 4-all but clearly was never back to his old self, conceding his delivery once more in the 12th game to drop the set.

"The rain took my rhythm off," said Lopez, a Wimbledon quarter-finalist this year. "At the same time, he started playing great."

From there, Lopez slumped while Blake thrived. The American broke his foe two more times to secure the victory.

Blake will carry his morale-boosting triumph into the US Open, which starts tomorrow (AEST). He plays Britain's Greg Rusedski in the first round.

"I know I won't be able to enjoy my title too much," said Blake. "It's great to win before a major. It will give me great confidence.

"But Greg is another tough lefty with a big serve. Luckily I was able to play against two this week (Frenchman Michael Llodra and Lopez). So I know what to expect."

Could be a smokey...

Last night's draw for the main courts:
Arthur Ashe:
Serena v someone from Taipei
Nadal v Bobby Reynolds
Venus v Fujiwara
Night session:
Sharapova v Daniilidou
Agassi v someone from Romania
All the favourites in straight sets, only one got to 6-4

Louis Armstrong:
Gambill v Massu Massu 7-6 6-2 6-3
Clijsters Clijsters dropped 3 games
Kuznetsova Ekaterina Bychkova was her opponent, and she sent Svetlana home with a 6-3 6-2 victory
Haas v Luczak Luczak won the first then Haas took control for a 3-6 6-3 6-2 6-3 victory
Fish v Karlovic Karlovic won the first and fourth set tiebreaks as well as the second set to win in 4

2 other Aussies in action:
Pratt v Morigami second on court 10 Pratt won with a Morigami retirement after Pratt couldn't win a point in the first set tiebreak and Morigami couldn't win a game in the second set, Molik v Perry fourth Molik never in it, 6-4 6-4 to Perry

Others to watch:
Bracciali v Robredo 4th on court 6 Bracciali won the first but Robredo won the next three 3, 4 & 2
Kremer v Raymond 3rd on court 8 Raymond in 3
Behrend v Bjorkman 4th on court 8 Bjorkman easily
Soderling v Chela 3rd on court 13 Chela took the first in a tiebreak, Soderling the second in a tiebreak, then the third and fourth to Soderling

Seeds out:
Gaudio [9] (beaten by American wildcard Brian Baker in 3)
Kuznetsova [5] (Bychkova in 2)
Molik [14] (Perry in 2)
Safina [21] (Maria Elena Camerin in 3)
Farina Elia [22] (Laura Granville in 2)
Penetta [28] (Julia Schruff in 3)

5 setters:
Wildcard Scoville Jenkins def qualifier George Bastl 7-6 6-0 6-7 4-6 7-6
13th seed Richard Gasquet def Alberto Martin 6-2 6-3 1-6 6-7 6-4

Tonight's draw:
Arthur Ashe:
Federer v Minar
Rusedski v Blake
Henin-Hardenne v Ondraskova
Night:
Davenport v Li
Roddick v Muller

Louis Armstrong:
Henman v Verdasco
Mauresmo v Vinci
Dementieva v Safarova
Mirnyi v Gimelstob

Court 4 at 4:
Ferrero v Clement

Aussies:
Stosur v Sun (4th on court 14)
Arthurs v Sanguinetti (2nd on court 16)

Others to watch:
Pavel v Murray (3rd on Grandstand)
Volandri v Lopez (1st on Court 6)
Ruano Pascual v Golovin (4th on Court 6)
Schnyder v Martinez (4th on Court 7)
Lee v Ancic (1st on Court 8)
Myskina v Tanasugarn (2nd on Court 10)
Kuerten v Goldstein (2nd on Court 11)
Srichaphan v El Aynaoui (5th on Court 11)
Tursunov v Baghdatis (3rd on Court 13)
Nieminen v Beck (2nd on Court 15)
Santoro v Melzer (2nd on Court 18)
Lapentti v Stepanek (3rd on Court 18)
Medina Garrigues v Sprem (4th on Court 18)

but the forecast is for showers all day becoming thundery late afternoon so there probably won't be much tennis

My predictions...
Pavel v Murray (3rd on Grandstand)
Volandri v Lopez (1st on Court 6)
Ruano Pascual v Golovin (4th on Court 6)
Schnyder v Martinez (4th on Court 7)
Lee v Ancic (1st on Court 8)
Myskina v Tanasugarn (2nd on Court 10)
Kuerten v Goldstein (2nd on Court 11)
Srichaphan v El Aynaoui (5th on Court 11)
Tursunov v Baghdatis (3rd on Court 13)
Nieminen v Beck (2nd on Court 15)
Santoro v Melzer (2nd on Court 18)
Lapentti v Stepanek (3rd on Court 18)
Medina Garrigues v Sprem (4th on Court 18)
Henman v Verdasco
Mauresmo v Vinci
Dementieva v Safarova
Mirnyi v Gimelstob
Federer v Minar
Rusedski v Blake
Henin-Hardenne v Ondraskova
Davenport v Li
Roddick v Muller
Ferrero v Clement
Stosur v Sun (4th on court 14)
Arthurs v Sanguinetti